What's new

What is the allure of Harry Potter for adults? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Something that people tend to forget about the Harry Potter series is that they have to appeal to a wide age range. Given the time that is has taken for the books to be produced, it will be 10 years or so by the time the series has finished. So the first child readers are going to be young adults by the time the last book comes out. In order to keep the interest of the first cohort of readers, the books have to appeal to more than just children.

In addition, nearly all classic children's books are designed to have some appeal to adults, because at least traditionally, adults read out books to children. If you take a careful look at books like Winnie the Pooh (which if you dismiss as being rather twee is a big mistake) they are full of in-jokes and sub-texts that only an adult would really appreciate.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Done with Azkaban some days ago. I have some relatively mixed feelings about this book, to my surprise, since I was the consensus is that it's better than the 1st two. Here goes:

!!! AZKABAN SPOILERS !!!

The Good:

- Dementors, obviously inspired from Nazgul, are badasses :emoji_thumbsup:. They were very effectively setup by the charged references to the "guards of Azkaban", making their entrance all the more dramatic.

- Boggarts: Another interesting concept.

- The biggest plus of course is the sum of the revalations which took place in the last few chapters of the book.

The not-so-good:

- I felt our characters were mostly passive for most of the book. Much time was spent waiting for Black to show up. Meanwhile, we had extensive coverage of the new classes and other aspects of life at Hogwarts. I understand and enjoy the routine of the school as an important aspect of the universe Rowlings created, but the absence of driving impetus (like preventing Snape from acquiring the Stone or figuring out who the identity of the Slytherin heir) for most of the book made the routine less enjoyable. I was looking forward to, and missed the active investigating the trio did from the moment the cat was petrified in CoS (the transformation potion and everything it entailed, the library research etc...).

- In the same vein, what I loved most about CoS, the very palpable immediate sense of threat resulting from the CoS being in the school itself was quite absent from Azkaban. The fact that students are being petrified, that Harry is being supected, or suspects some dark things about himself, made for some compelling drama, which Black's visit to the dorms or the students moving in group was never able to match. It just didn't work for me, which is strange because I am typing this, I realize that it should have.

- It was clear that something was up with that darn cat from the begining.

- It was also clear from the arrival at the school that Hermione was given a way by Professor Mcgonagall to be 2 places at once.

- The Buckhead subplot fell completely flat. I saw it as an attempt to create drama in a book which was lacking quite a bit, an attempt to add a more active, driving plot to the story than "the wait for Black". The unfairness of the Buck subplot is obvious, but (I realize this is personal) the emotional resonance was simply lacking. Perhaps because we never got to know the creature in question before it was put in jeopardy. And while it is conceivable that the reader is meant to emphatise to the character's reaction to Buck's impending doom rather than the creature itself, Hagrid's bawling, more irritating to me than anything else else, drove me further away from any empathy I might have had.

- I am not at all keen on the time travel device. While it's not my judgement to make, I didn't feel it belong in that universe. It's just too easy a solution and somewhat undermines the dynamics of that world. In CoS, it took a whole month to prepare a potion that would temprarely change a character into another.

I believe that's all...

In truth, I have some trouble remembering much before that faithful encounter in the Tunnel under the Willow. That's my main issue with the book.

I've discussed this with an avid fan of the series, who disagreed on every single point. I am curious what others here think as well.

In the end, it's all relative, I have yet to read a less than entertaining Harry Potter book.

Onto Globlet....

--
H

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I agree with you about the time travel part. But not only in this, I can't stand any time-travel plot books or movies. (unless it's travel in 1 direction only (like terminator)

Otherwise get ready for for #4 (my favorite) and #5 (second in line for me)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The best is yet to come Holadem. Starting with Goblet of Fire, the story really takes off.
I guess so, finished Goblet last night... The book left me in a state close to that of the title character - the range of emotion was a times overwhelming. It is easily the best of the series so far.

I am studying for a notoriously difficult exam, why o why did I have to chose this time to get into this insanely addictive serie? I bought Phoenix last night, and have been glancing at it sideways since.

Still, I am so happy I have two similarly thick books to look forward to :D.

Will book 7 be the last?

One tiny nitpick: does anyone else hate the expression "Voldemort supporters"? I find it extremely clunky, I cringe whenever someone says it. Voldemort's followers, allies, or faithfuls are much better alternatives!

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks