What is QVC promoting?!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Aaron Garman, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

I flip on the TV, and QVC is selling a JVC VCR/DVD combo. That's cool and all, but they keep harking on the fact of what they call "one wire hookup". Of course this one wire is nothing more than an RF cable. Sure it works, but DVD is gonna look like crap with that connection, let alone VHS. Even the JVC rep is promoting it. They have it hooked up to a nice flat screen JVC as well, so why promote RF. I really really loathe these guys sometimes. Next thing you know it's gonna be "wow, these DVDs FILL YOUR SCREEN".

AJG

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    When it comes to home theater gear ease of use is a hell of a lot more important to your average QVC shopper than quality.

3. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

[​IMG]

AJG

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

We have an over-the-air station here that carries the "America's Store" shopping network, and I've noticed that the projection TV they use to demonstrate stuff has a big "America's Store" logo burned-in right in the middle of it! That cracks me up- I check on this station every once in a while just to see if they're still using that TV, and laugh at the people selling electronics that they know nothing about.

5. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    So what's the problem? I think the manufacturers should have included RF connections right from the start. It may surprise some readers of this forum, but the vast majority of TV viewers are not like "us". They're happy with that crappy signal they get from their cable and may be going into DVD only because the local video store is cutting back on VHS tapes. Should they not be allowed to watch DVDs because their TV doesn't have A/V jacks or because they don't want spend another $20-$30 for an RF converter? I don't think so. This is just an example of an industry trying to open its market to millions of more people. Let them get their feet wet,then we can start to educate them about better picture quality, Dolby stereo, letterboxing etc. etc.