What is "Q" sound?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EdNichols, Feb 16, 2005.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I have read a couple of threads where a certain speaker brand tries to impress the listener by playing a song with "Q" sound. What is this and what songs are recorded that way?

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Ed

http://www.qsound.com/

the 3-D demos were somewhat convincing when I first heard it [​IMG]

I think the result (and basis?) is similar to SRS-Labs virtual surround.

IIRC they also have a plug-in you can use with Windows Media Player similar to the SRS-labs bundled - to give your PC speakers a wider/3D soundstage

The most well known albums mixed(?) with QSound are the Madonna's Immaculate Collection (1990) and Sting's Soul Cages (1991). (http://www.qsound.com/2002/technology/main1.asp)

3. Scott Lawrence

Scott Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, it's a technology to make 2-channel (stereo) sources sound like like it has more depth (like a 5.1 setup for example). The Immaculate Collection does do a pretty good job of that, and is a wonderful sounding CD. Never heard the Sting one (not a fan). The technology didn't really seem to catch on though.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Roger Waters' Amused To Death probably demonstrates Q-Sound at its most convincing. The envelopment it provides is more complete and seamless (from the dead-center sweet-spot, that is) across the entire front hemisphere than any 5.1 I've heard, probably since everything eminates from just two speakers...it's all perfectly matched. I imagine it didn't catch on since full surround systems became so cheap and because of the need for the listener to be in the perfect postion in order for the effect to be evident.

5. JamesDB

JamesDB Stunt Coordinator

I find it interesting to hear your experiences with Q sound. I personally found it rather muddy and a poor replacement for 5.1 even when one is in the sweet spot. Although I do hear the sound trying to look like it comes from the sides too, but it sounded more like smeared paint from front to back instead of a nice crisp localized point placement. Now I never heard the Roger Waters CD so I don't pass final judgement as it may be a better mix.

J

6. ChrisCan

ChrisCan Agent

Oh Oh Somebody's been to audition Nuance speakers I see.
    Be afraid very afraid!