What's new

What is it with Christian Bale? I don't get it. (2 Viewers)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I consider Bale's performance in American Psycho to be quite brilliant actually. Bale plays Bateman as a performer, essentially, and not a particularly convincing one. That is, he plays Bateman as a man who is only playing the part of a normal human being. As he says in the narration, Bateman actually has no real traces of emotion, and simply "is not there." Hence the deliberate theatriality of the performance, the stylized vocal mannerisms, etc.

I consider Bale's work in the film to be quite courageous, not because he was playing a psycho (that can't be said to be courageous anymore), but rather because of his stylized approach to the role, which many (the thread starter included, apparently) might mistake for plain old bad acting. I find it wonderful - filled with darkly humorous flourishes and memorable line readings. I'd have given him an Oscar.

--Jefferson Morris

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I really LIKE Much Ado About Nothing, and Keanu's performance in it.:frowning:

Sorry, had to. And Keanu doesn't mumble. He's just a low-talker. He WAS easier to hear back in the days before he dropped his voice (i.e. Bill & Ted).

Then again, I've been told I'm obsessed with Keanu, and I'm a little worried about that.:)

Christian Bale is my favorite modern-day actor though, and I LOVE Equilibrium. Tell me you never got the same impulse when the police wanted to look in your trunk.;)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.

Unless Christian Bale himself shows up and unleashes that enormous **** he's been carrying around for the last ten years!

htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

That's exactly it. He's not some androgynous, pretty, femme-boy like so many male models and teen heart-throbs shoved in our faces everyday.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I like Christian Bale as an actor very much, as others have stated he has that very rare ability to morph himself into any role he takes on.

Of course my favorite performance of his is in American Psycho, one of the few films that grows more intriguing the more one see's it and Bale is essential to that. He's just a portrait of contempt for all things human in that film.

One things for damn sure, i'll watch the pleasant dream that is the film before I read that book again, it's been 4 weeks now since I finished it and I still can't shake some of the shit I read in that thing. It was a great book, but one that I will steer well clear of for the rest of my life.

And as Bruce Wayne and Batman, the man was sublime, easily slamming all others into the dirt.

Lastly, does anyone else think that Bale would make one hell of a James Bond? He has a natural British accent and 007 would be a perfect showcase for it, plus he just looks the part, especially in a tux.

CharlesD

Screenwriter

Has Bale ever used his own accent in a movie? I've been impressed with him ever since Empire of the Sun (which I agree is a flawed movie, but Bale did a fantastic job for an actor of any age let alone a 12 year old) and even in that movie he put on an upper class accent for the role.

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem I have with Mr. Bale is with his big ole eye wart, which in Batman Begins frightened me more that the Scarecrow. No fun to watch on the big screen....

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you kidding me? I'm as straight as they come, but I can still see why most people would consider him attractive.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I suppose he is Welsh, I can't tell from listening to him and i've never read where he's from. Great accent, though, whatever it is, perfect for Bond, I can't think of anyone else that I would like to see take over from Pierce Brosnan more. :emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
For fans of Bale and American Psycho, check this Patrick Bateman action figure out from NECA...

http://www.necaonline.com/cultnews6.html

I tried to find pics of the larger, and better, 18" version but I could find none on NECA's website. I have the larger one and the likeness to Bale is uncanny!

Just thought it would be cool to share since most of us here are Bale fans. :emoji_thumbsup:

James T

Screenwriter
I'm curious about Bale's accent as well. Even during interviews, he uses his "American" accent. One reporter asked him about that and he just said that he prefers to use it when dealing with his movies.

As for Bale as a bad actor. Can't say I agree. To say he's a fine actor would also be an understatement. Every movie I've seen him in, he hasn't given a poor performance. Val Kilmer is another actor that likes to get so into character, that he starts fights with the director for asking too many questions regarding his character. But even Val had his share of poor performances. Whereas Bale, I'm still waiting...

Does anyone remember a thread from a few years ago when someone said he couldn't understand why Edward Norton was so popular. Then I think Ron did some research on the person and came up with some evidence showing that the poster originally loved Edward Norton in Fight Club and Primal Fear. This thread just reminds me of that :)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I was weirded out by an interview he did on tv recently. He was speaking with his American accent, but the rhythm of his speech and his vocabulary were extremely British. It created a very odd effect :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Personally, I think Bale is brilliant. Loved him in Psycho, and Equilibrium is just a blast. (Too many people rake him across the coals for being wooden in that movie. Hello! He was taking mood-damping drugs. He was SUPPOSED to be unemotional.)

His portrayal of Batman was just fantastic. The right amount of pathos & broodiness combined with strength & charisma.

(Total unrelated note...someone said Ernest isn't here anymore? What happened to Ernest?)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sure, but personally I think it would be most interesting to see Bond take a dark turn. I'd love to see a somewhat more evil Bond, kind of a "Man with No Name" version. My pick for that approach would clearly be Clive Owen. Bale would work too, but I think Owen would be more formidable.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
Or even a reversion to the Sean Connery type in his early Bond movies. He was a bit less of a dandy and more of dour professional who rather enjoyed his work (especially the "licensed to kill" part) while still tossing off the required wicked puns and so forth.

[EDIT] Which movie was it where he told the rather amateurish fellow who had been sent to kill him "You've had your six..." and then plugged him?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks