What's new

What is high cut? (1 Viewer)

This is very likely a stupid question but what exactly is a subwoofer's high cut and what should it be on? I have a Yamaha SW150 subwoofer with a high cut range of 40-140. What would you recommend setting it to?

Oh, and I know this isnt the best subwoofer. I'm getting a new one when I get the money and sell this and my HD receiver ($5 a month, my parents could pay, is great). What would you reccommend is best value for its price as far as home theater goes. Don't need it for music. I suppose price range would reach... $500-$600

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
High pass determines at what point the high frequencies sent to the main speakers starts, and there will be a slope associated with this point to allow the sub and mains to blend.

If you aren't feeding your main speakers from your sub, then high pass (cut) shouldn't make any difference. If you ARE, then we need to know the specs (lowest extension) for your other speakers before arbitrarily giving you a frequency. Are there separate high and low pass settings? If not, and you are not supplying the mains singal from the sub, set the x-over to it's highest point and let the receiver take care of it.

I agree SVS is where you should look for a sub.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
High pass determines at what point the high frequencies sent to the main speakers starts...
Actually, that’s the low pass. High pass refers to where where the highs stop, not start - i.e., roll off (given the slope of the filter, of course).

The easy way to remember which side of the crossover is which: Low pass carries the low signal, high pass carries the highs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Here we go

Low pass ... everything ABOVE the cutoff point is attenuated at a fixed level ... EG a 12Db low pass crossover would attenuate signals ABOVE the crossover point at a rate of 12DB per octave(not including natural rolloff)

High pass ... everything BELOW the cutoff point is attenuated at a fixed level. Same as above.

The biggest difference between a high and low pass filter tends to be the fact that a high pass filter tends to have a more aggresive slope since a tweater cannot handle bass.

Now a bandpass filter give you and option of setting points so you can adjust where the highs and lows are cutoff, thus creating a passband.

EG a high pass filter of 80Hz combined with a low pass filter of 4Mhz creates a passband of 80-4000Hz

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The easy way to remember which side of the crossover is which: Low pass carries the low signal, high pass carries the highs.
We are saying the same thing in different ways. :D Highs START rolling in based on the slope of the x-over, "passing" the high frequencies on to the speakers and filtering everything below that point.

High CUT is the same as low pass.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Don't run your mains through a sub like that unless you have to. Better off to hook the sub up to the sub preout on your receiver. Set your speakers to small on the receiver, the sub to yes, and then turn the highcut on the sub as high as it will go to get it out of the way of the receivers crossover.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Highs START rolling in based on the slope of the x-over, "passing" the high frequencies on to the speakers and filtering everything below that point.
Again, no. A filter is applied to a flat signal. If you engage a high pass filter it rolls out the lows. It does not “roll in” the highs because they were already “there” before the filter was engaged.

C'mon John, I “take it like a man” when you point out discrepancies in my posts. It’s your turn. :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's just the direction of the roll :D That's just how the brain translated the info, but the information is not incorrect, just the way it came out is a little discombobulated. :b

TomAto - TomAHto :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks