What's new

What is everyone powering their sonosub with? (1 Viewer)

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on building a sonosub but I am limited on the amount of money I can spend. I have a older surround sound receiver that I plan on using, but was wondering what others use. It seem new mono and stereo amps are expensive.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
Hi Bob,
i use a Soundcraftsmen 2 channel amplifier that i bought off of Ebay for $275.00 + shipping. the amp is rated at 325 w/pc @4 ohms and works great with my two Twin Towers of Doom Shiva subs. also has a built-in fan which is pretty quiet. hope you find what you're looking for.
------------------
Patrick

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I've used the Apex JR, the Adire AVA250, and now a used Adcom GFA-555II. All have been satisfactory for the money spent, but I really like the Adcom.
------------------
Mark Hayenga
www.hayenga.com
----------------------
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Do you really get more power by bridging the amplifier and wiring both voice coils in parallel, as opposed to connecting each coil to one channel of the stereo amp?
With the Adcom GFA-555II, it would seem that you get 800W (bridged power @ 4Ohms) of power instead of 400W (200W x2 @ 8Ohms).
Do you actually get more power this way?

J

John Morris

I have a Crown K2(2500w into 4 ohms bridged)waiting for my sonosub.
My personal favorite budget subwoofer amp is the SoundStream DA.2 amp. It is fanless, small and costs around $400. Oh yeah, and it puts out 1000w into 4 ohms bridged and is stable into 2 ohms). Trouble is... they've been discontinued for a few years and are hard to find.
------------------
Take Care,
merc

marc seals

Agent
I also have a pro-audio amp. It is an AB Systems Precedent Series 900. Also fanless and puts out around 325 watts @8ohms per channel stable into 2 ohms. I bought it from a fellow HTF'er!

J

John Morris

Don't the pro audio amps require a higher input voltage than home audio? Is that a problem?
Ken: My K2 is a pro audio amp and runs great off of my 120v, 60Hz, house power. Of course, the amp is also configurable to work with a wide range of power. Here is what the spec says: Line Voltage Requirements: Universal power supply can be configured to operate with 100, 120, 200, 220, 230, 240, 250 VAC at 50 or 60 Hz.
------------------
Take Care,
merc

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
John,
What I meant was the source input, from the pre-amp to the input of the power amp. Sorry for the confusion
redface.gif
)
------------------
Ken Cline - Home Theater Fanatic
[email protected]
Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Crap!
www.dvdtracker.com/~kencline.asp

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
Im using a Peavey CS800, got it used for $200, 400w x 2@4ohm. The voltage problem seems to only affects some pro-logic receivers from what I've seen (my old pioneer VSX-D307 couldnt use the peavey, and even a line shifter from EbTech didnt work..)

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest the use of unbalanced to balanced converter, such as the ARX L8 or the TASCAM L80. it's the only sure way to provide all channels proper conversion to balanced and since they are good for 8 channels, that's the way to go in case you plan on adding more pro amps.
Believing pro amps will autocorrect by themselves is to close to be a myth..... mixing consumer and pro stuff ain't that easy.

Users who are viewing this thread