What's new

What is a Supercard (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Please help. My 7 year old will not stop bugging me about a Supercard for his Nintendo DS. I tried to google it, but didn't get much. What is is and what do I do with it?
Thanks

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If you google the phrase "Nintendo DS Supercard" you should get a variety of links that should lead you to finding out more about this product.

Basically, it's a device that plugs into the external port (where I usually have my rumble pack plugged in) and allows a person to access content from an SD micro-card and, in some cases a CF card. Since you can load one of these flash cards (the same type found in cameras, phones, etc.) with just about anything from a computer this opens the door to all sorts of potential applications for your DS. I would imagine that this would mean music, pictures, a bunch of nintendo games (you might be treading into some questionable legal areas with this one, etc.)

I had heard the term "Supercard" but never paid much attention to it at this point. I have so many games to get to on all my game systems (360, PS3, PSP, Wii and DS) that there are not enough hours in the day for me to explore new applications. Besides, I use music devices for music, cameras for photos, etc. and don't need a one-size-fits-all solution.

I hope this helps. (If your 7 year old is bugging you about "Supercards" I'd watch him very carefully. He's either a whiz kid or hanging with some very knowledgeable gamers, etc.)

;)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor

Thanks. He is a sharp kid. Fortunetly, he has a good heart and doesn't use his brains to get in trouble (well, too much trouble).
Useful information. I couldn't get a straight answer from him about how the games got onto the supercard. Now I kind of understand.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I use a similar product called the R4. It uses MicroSD cards up to 2GB (or 4GB if you can find a non-SDHC card) and you can load games, music, movies, and pictures onto it and it has a menu that allows you to select the game/movie, etc you want to play/watch.

While there is a pretty decent homebrew scene for the DS, unfortunately, the primary use of a flash cart would be for playing unauthorized ROMs of commercial games. My guess would be that one of his friends showed him how he was able to get dozens of games on a single card "for free", which is pretty appealing when you don't understand the concept of game piracy.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Exactly, Ravi. And this is what I was referring to when I mentioned treading into some questionable legal areas with a Supercard et. al. I suspect that you hit the nail on the head. To be clear, this is something that the HTF does not condone so I trust that this discussion doesn't evolve into a "So how do I do that?" situation. While I love seeing hardware being used for things beyond the original intention, this does not include infringing on the rights of others. Using the DS for additional legal applications is fine. That's forum policy and I endorse it.

'Nuff said.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I have both an R4 for the DS and of course the Supercard originally for the GBA which can also work on the DSL or DS etc.....

The Supercard you can download up to 20 games for GBA or GBC or GB depending on the size.

The r4 I have 40 games on it. Be careful though some newer games that use a new save feature the games won't save.

For example GTA Chinagame won't work on R4 cause of a save feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks