What's new

What is a rear center good for? (1 Viewer)

Don_Vernon

Auditioning
New to HT, just acquired a Yamaha RX-V630. This unit can run a 6th speaker channel, rear center. I'm not using it at this time; in the room I am using, placing a rear center would be difficult although not impossible, and I am wondering if it is worth the hassle. So, what is a rear center good for? Where do you place it - should it be inline with the surrounds and directly between them, or should it be placed further behind the listening position?

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
It should be placed diretcly behind the listening position slightly higer than the seated ear height. You then have to move your surround speakers from behind you and place them to the sides of the listening position. The center rear speaker is designed to fill in the gap of sound located behind and to the sides of the listener. You get a more complete circle surround souond with the additional speaker.

Do a search on this topic and you will find numerous threads all debating the merits or lack thereof an additional rear speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks