What's new

What is a good HT reciever for around $500? (1 Viewer)

Brook

Agent
I don't have much money and I'm looking to buy a new Ht receiver. I have a $200 sony one now. I want something better, any suggestions?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Marantz SR5200 for around $500. I personally don't think there is a better receiver for the money.

Brook

Agent
I want a receiver with Dolby Digital, DTS, and pro-logic 2. Mine has DD and DTS, but only Pro-logic.
On mine I have now only has 2 digital inputs, optical and coaxial. It has no S video inputs which would be nice. It was pretty much the bottom of the line for Sony.
Are their any good Yamaha or Pioneer HT receivers for this price?:)

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
As for Pioneer, look at the 811s and the 850s/ i can't speak to the yamaha, but has gotten good reveiws overall.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Are their any good Yamaha or Pioneer HT receivers for this price?
PLEASE look at the Marantz! You are doing yourself an injustice if you don't. The marantz is better than both the Yamaha and Pioneer. It has everything you need. DD, DTS, PLII, and 5 S-Video inputs, 4 digital inputs. You can't beat it!

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
Better?, in what respect, it costs more /< doesn't have as many features? , dollar for dollar it offers less flexibility?and if i'm not mistaken is noisier(s&v November 2001).

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
And what better features does the Pioneer have over the Marantz? What do you mean by noisier? I had the Marantz and there was no noise what so ever. I would never buy a Pioneer receiver unless it was one of the elites. You obviously have never heard a Marantz receiver before.

The question posed in this thread is "What is a good HT receiver for around $500", not "What is a good HT receiver for $300".

Maybe for $300 I would possibly THINK about getting the Pioneer. But for $500, the Marantz sound would stomp all over the Pioneer.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
The only thing the pioneer has the marantz doesn't is component video switching.

It all comes down to sound, and the marantz is the hands down winner in that category.

Brook, there has been at least 3 threads in the past 2 weeks about the "best receiver for $500". I suggest you use the search function and find these threads also.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Denon 1802 would also be an excellent receiver to consider. Now, I cannot comment first hand on how it sounds. You'll have to wait until Friday when the Fedex man comes to my door. :D
I've read nothing but good about these guys. 80w x 5 channels. Plenty of S-Video ins, 3 digital ins (2 optical). I've heard first person reviews such as "It really packs a punch" and "good honest power."
By the sound of it, Denon won't sell you short on the power end. When they advertise 80watts, you're getting at least that. It also has all the options you're looking for .. DD, DTS, PLII.
This is just another to consider. I purchased mine from The Sound Pro's for $405 (shipping included).

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I'll just throw one more thing in here. Before I began researching HT, I never heard of Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, etc. The list goes on. After spending six+ months doing research, these are some of the best names out there. Your Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, etc. will give you some good name products, but dollor for dollor, they won't compete in the proper settings.
If you're in the same stage I was when I began researching, take a peek at some reviews on these non-familiar names. Do searches on this forum. Heed Paul's word about the Marantz products. Heck, two months ago I never even knew a company called Marantz existed. Last Friday, I ordered my first high-quality CD carousel from them (CC-3000). :)
When I first did research, I was all like "Sony, Panasonic! :D." Now, I can't believe I'd consider them for certain HT equipment (They do sell quality products, however). :)
Well, this all may not pertain to you. This is just a phase I went through. If I didn't confuse ya, I hope I may have helped you, or someone else out. All these names that were once foreign to me are now of quality. If you have the proper retailers in your area, give them a listen. It'll be worth your time.

LesterLiu

Grip
I was in the same boat as you looking for the best receiver $500 could buy. I visited countless stores, spoke to sales reps, read all the forums and plunked down my hard earned money on the marantz 5200. It is a great receiver, does everything it needs to do and does them perfectly. This is a receiver for the audio/video enthusiast, it doesn't have a gazillion features, 500 soundfields, glitzy remote a la the pioneer and sony's, it's got everything you NEED to build a high quality home theater system, DD, DTS, PL2, plenty of power, amazing power supply, solid inputs, etc. With the marantz, you're getting a top notch reciever, comparing it to a pioneer imo is like comparing an Acura TL to a Mercedes C class, the TL may look more enticing on paper, but you know you're getting a quality product with the C class.

Another note, I moved a couple weeks ago and wouldn't you know it, I misplaced my remote. I called up Marantz with my credit card out expecting to pay out the wazoo for a new remote, I explained them my situation and they sent me a new remote.... FREE OF CHARGE via next day air!! Great customer service, because of that, I will be a loyal marantz customer for years to come!

Brook

Agent
Looks like Marantz is a good name!;)
Where would I be able to find reviews on this reciever? Or any info about it?
Thanks a lot everyone!:D

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
first of all the first rec. i ever owned was a Marantz, my point was simply to make a blanket statement , like Marantz is better without defining what you mean helps no one it just shows bias.AS to what is offered on the Pioneer has that the Marantz doesn't: check the specs and features , for the money the pioneer is hard to beat, if you feel justified in your purchase so be it , that doesn't make it better?. Personally i like having an extra 200 bucks in my pocket. I could list the features but at this point , i think a personal comparison is in order. Oh that receiver i was talking about that was noisy was the SR-7200 , i one that i bought was the 2220B, 179.00 in 1978(20 watts)AND YES I STILL HAVE IT AND IT STILL WORKS.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Clearly receivers like Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC etc. do not make the grade compared to standards like Denon and Marantz.

I am not a fan of Onkyo and Yamaha but these are also worth looking at.

The Denon 2802/Marantz 6200 are the winners if you can stretch to it.

T.

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'm a Marantz fan. I tested the 4200, changed it for a 5200 and inally ended up with a 6200. Couldn't be happier with it! Sound is close to perfect, and Circle Surround is amazing! I'd strongly recommend it to you if you can stretch a little bit the budget. You can also consider buying a refurbished unit at accessories4less.com: they do great deals as people say here. But if you can't go for it, the 5200 is also a VERY NICE choice. Believe me, if you plan to use for HT and music as well, marantz is the way to go!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'm in the same boat as you...

What I tried was going to a store and asking them the same type of questions you asked here.

The reply I got was "Don't go with Denon, they are a best buy/circuit city brand". They said that I should go with a Pioneer Elite 49 as a receiver.

I also got the impression that I should get the Rotel 1066 and separate amps. -- There has to be other $500 receivers that can compete with eachother. (other than marantz and Denon)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks