What's new

What I Really Like About the New Platform... (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There's LOTS of things I like.

But I felt compelled to remark about this one right away. I was just in a thread, composing a reply. And while I was ever-so-carefully selecting my words, I noticed a pop-up box at the top of my screen saying there was a new reply to the thread. Someone else's reply was entered to the thread at the same time I was composing mine.

I clicked on the box and read the new reply...AND didn't lose the text that I had already entered in the editor.

Very cool. :thumbs-up-smiley:

I also like the lists of people in a particular thread (or on the entire forum as listed on the home page) that are situated at the bottom of each page.

There's LOTS to like...even though there's still lots of things which need to get straightened out.

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
I think you are finding out the new features faster than we are!!!!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I like just about everything I've seen -- and I'm still feeling my way around figuring things out, which is kind of fun.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So far I like *everything* better than the old Huddler system! I'd say people having problems are just not poking around much. I've found *lots* of cool features:

The "cookie trail" at the *top* between the "Forum Nav" button and Forum name as well as the *bottom* of pages.
Clicking on the time of the last post under the last poster's name takes you to the last post in that thread.
The ability to "clear" multiquote selections (which also caused a short bit of confusion doing a multiquote as the process is different)
The "Preview topic" arrow
The "Hot" designation on threads with lots of activity
The ability to "Mark this forum as read" (which I'm assuming really means the sub-forum you're currently viewing).
The "Go to first unread post" at the top right of a thread page (allowing one to go there if accidentally clicked on the main post rather than the "go to first unread" circle in the thread listing).
The "Recent Topics" box.
The "Tracker" for consolidation of suggestions/bug reporting and easy access from anywhere on the site.

And I'm sure I'll find more as time goes on. So far I'm really liking the move. It was very much worth almost a week of outage to get this! :D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Niiice. Would like to see at least some of those in the mobile version though. Actually, I seem to recall seeing what Mike mentioned at some point, but don't recall if it happened w/ the mobile version. _Man_

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I really like the down arrow towards the right in the body of a thread title. Click on it and you get a listing right under the
thread with a listing of the first and last post in the box.

I just really really like the ease of navigation and far less confusion in finding what you want. The KISS principle really
applies to the forum now.

Packy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I mentioned this in another thread, but I also like the new MultiQuote function.

Before...it was practically impossible to quote a post on one page of a thread and then successfully navigate to another page and quote a 2nd post.

Now, you can be on one page, click MultiQuote, travel to another page, click MultiQuote and you compile a queue of quotes and promote the appearance of a small box on your screen which tells you how many quotes you have. When you compile all the quotes you want, you click on the box and it dumps them all, successfully into a reply box...all neat and pretty.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I like the Troll/Spam button....I clicked it on the latest round of cell phone ads, and the posts disappeared.

Is that a sort of administrative function because I'm an ambassador, or can anyone do it?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Steve Tannehill said:
I like the Troll/Spam button....I clicked it on the latest round of cell phone ads, and the posts disappeared.

Is that a sort of administrative function because I'm an ambassador, or can anyone do it?
Must be a administrative function. I do not have that button, just the "report" non-button link.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
ManW_TheUncool said:
Niiice.Would like to see at least some of those in the mobile version though.Actually, I seem to recall seeing what Mike mentioned at some point, but don't recall if it happened w/ the mobile version._Man_
We're working on subscriptions right now - but a branded mobile app based upon tapatalk is a likely target for late this month/early next. No promises of course, but provided there aren't technical roadblocks, we hope to do that.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Having a great time finding new things. But I really like the way the forum shows up on my iPhone and iPad. It is much easier to navigate and use. Thanks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I really like the iPhone interface. My first few minutes felt really good.

I'm neutral on iPad. It works, and generally quite well. But since it's the desktop website, many icons, particularly for subscriptions and latest post, are small and require precision touching. And, as I never get tired of saying, the edit box is too small. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Haven't posted anything about the move in a while but I want to note today that HTF has really found its groove again for me. Everything just works for the most part and it looks good, is flexible wrt posting, does a decent job on mobile, and from a posters perspective it really seems like we are picking up steam and new members lately.Seriously thanks to all the owners and mods who made this happen and stuck with it for the long run. You did a terrific job and it is VERY much appreciated! I hope it has been as successful on your end!But the reason I post in this particular thread is to say: I REALLY like the like button! And nobody is more surprised than me about that, I thought it was kinda dumb to start with. Since then tho I have found that it's a GREAT mechanism for both letting other posters know you think they posted something great AND also that you simply saw something that was addressed to or affects you. I say to all you doubters, give the like button a chance! =)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

First, I wanted to thank you for the comment.

You are the biggest nutter we have here -- and my personal favorite.

To see a glowing comment like this means much. I know you are very
sincere about the things you say.

What can we say? We left a bad place a year ago. Being back on our
own has enabled us to do things the way *we* want rather than be confined
to other people's perception of how a forum should be built and run.

As Adam noted above, there are more refinements on the way. The biggest
thing we see happening to HTF is IPS 4.0 which is already long overdue. We
are hoping this major upgrade to the platform will bring many new perks to the
member experience here.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The best thing that has happened to HTF in years is the move to IP Board. That single move brought HTF back
to its roots of being a great place to hang out without the constant drain of what is going to happen next with
the platform.

Packy

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Agreed. I stuck with the HTF during the Hudler days because of the quality of the community, but it wasn't a pleasant web experience. This is soooo much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks