What I Really Like About the New Platform...

Discussion in 'Forum Help and Feedback' started by Mike Frezon, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

There's LOTS of things I like.

But I felt compelled to remark about this one right away. I was just in a thread, composing a reply. And while I was ever-so-carefully selecting my words, I noticed a pop-up box at the top of my screen saying there was a new reply to the thread. Someone else's reply was entered to the thread at the same time I was composing mine.

I clicked on the box and read the new reply...AND didn't lose the text that I had already entered in the editor.

Very cool. :thumbs-up-smiley:

I also like the lists of people in a particular thread (or on the entire forum as listed on the home page) that are situated at the bottom of each page.

There's LOTS to like...even though there's still lots of things which need to get straightened out.

2. Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins Owner, from The Other Washington
    Owner

Kevin Collins
    I think you are finding out the new features faster than we are!!!!

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well, you guys are a little busy. :D

4. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I like just about everything I've seen -- and I'm still feeling my way around figuring things out, which is kind of fun.

5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    So far I like *everything* better than the old Huddler system! I'd say people having problems are just not poking around much. I've found *lots* of cool features:

The "cookie trail" at the *top* between the "Forum Nav" button and Forum name as well as the *bottom* of pages.
    Clicking on the time of the last post under the last poster's name takes you to the last post in that thread.
    The ability to "clear" multiquote selections (which also caused a short bit of confusion doing a multiquote as the process is different)
    The "Preview topic" arrow
    The "Hot" designation on threads with lots of activity
    The ability to "Mark this forum as read" (which I'm assuming really means the sub-forum you're currently viewing).
    The "Go to first unread post" at the top right of a thread page (allowing one to go there if accidentally clicked on the main post rather than the "go to first unread" circle in the thread listing).
    The "Recent Topics" box.
    The "Tracker" for consolidation of suggestions/bug reporting and easy access from anywhere on the site.

And I'm sure I'll find more as time goes on. So far I'm really liking the move. It was very much worth almost a week of outage to get this! :D

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Niiice. Would like to see at least some of those in the mobile version though. Actually, I seem to recall seeing what Mike mentioned at some point, but don't recall if it happened w/ the mobile version. _Man_

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I really like the down arrow towards the right in the body of a thread title. Click on it and you get a listing right under the
    thread with a listing of the first and last post in the box.

I just really really like the ease of navigation and far less confusion in finding what you want. The KISS principle really
    applies to the forum now.

Packy

8. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Oh, that IS neat. Hadn't tried it yet.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I mentioned this in another thread, but I also like the new MultiQuote function.

Before...it was practically impossible to quote a post on one page of a thread and then successfully navigate to another page and quote a 2nd post.

Now, you can be on one page, click MultiQuote, travel to another page, click MultiQuote and you compile a queue of quotes and promote the appearance of a small box on your screen which tells you how many quotes you have. When you compile all the quotes you want, you click on the box and it dumps them all, successfully into a reply box...all neat and pretty.

10. Parker Clack

Parker
    I'll quote that!

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I like the Troll/Spam button....I clicked it on the latest round of cell phone ads, and the posts disappeared.

Is that a sort of administrative function because I'm an ambassador, or can anyone do it?

12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    Must be a administrative function. I do not have that button, just the "report" non-button link.

13. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Owner
    Owner

Dave Upton
    We're working on subscriptions right now - but a branded mobile app based upon tapatalk is a likely target for late this month/early next. No promises of course, but provided there aren't technical roadblocks, we hope to do that.

14. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Having a great time finding new things. But I really like the way the forum shows up on my iPhone and iPad. It is much easier to navigate and use. Thanks.

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I really like the iPhone interface. My first few minutes felt really good.

I'm neutral on iPad. It works, and generally quite well. But since it's the desktop website, many icons, particularly for subscriptions and latest post, are small and require precision touching. And, as I never get tired of saying, the edit box is too small. :)

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Haven't posted anything about the move in a while but I want to note today that HTF has really found its groove again for me. Everything just works for the most part and it looks good, is flexible wrt posting, does a decent job on mobile, and from a posters perspective it really seems like we are picking up steam and new members lately.Seriously thanks to all the owners and mods who made this happen and stuck with it for the long run. You did a terrific job and it is VERY much appreciated! I hope it has been as successful on your end!But the reason I post in this particular thread is to say: I REALLY like the like button! And nobody is more surprised than me about that, I thought it was kinda dumb to start with. Since then tho I have found that it's a GREAT mechanism for both letting other posters know you think they posted something great AND also that you simply saw something that was addressed to or affects you. I say to all you doubters, give the like button a chance! =)

17. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Thanks Sam. While not a lot of obvious changes have been made to the platform, we are still working on some refinements and migration cleanup that will be rolled out over the next few months.

Sam Posten and Cameron Yee like this.
  18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Sam,

First, I wanted to thank you for the comment.

You are the biggest nutter we have here -- and my personal favorite.

To see a glowing comment like this means much. I know you are very
    sincere about the things you say.

What can we say? We left a bad place a year ago. Being back on our
    own has enabled us to do things the way *we* want rather than be confined
    to other people's perception of how a forum should be built and run.

As Adam noted above, there are more refinements on the way. The biggest
    thing we see happening to HTF is IPS 4.0 which is already long overdue. We
    are hoping this major upgrade to the platform will bring many new perks to the
    member experience here.

Sam Posten likes this.
  19. Parker Clack

Parker
    The best thing that has happened to HTF in years is the move to IP Board. That single move brought HTF back
    to its roots of being a great place to hang out without the constant drain of what is going to happen next with
    the platform.

Packy

Sam Posten likes this.
  20. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Agreed. I stuck with the HTF during the Hudler days because of the quality of the community, but it wasn't a pleasant web experience. This is soooo much better.