What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Paul - I've only listened to a few things (just got back from vacation and catching up with lots of stuff). This one sounds really good - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Mari Kodama, Russian National Orchestra, Kent Nagano (Dir.)

That's one of my go to sites to see how good a recording is as is this site - http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=1467 and this title too - http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=5506

Those discs look interesting. I have several Pentatone discs of Mari Kodama (Mrs. Kent Nagano, BTW) playing the better-known Beethoven piano sonatas that are among the best-sound things I have ever heard. Even though they are solo piano, they sound like the piano is in the room. I may have to check out those concertos.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Uh...I'M interested, Russ! :D

I figure the more I might here about these HD downloads, the more it'll push me into actually getting off my duff and star spending money on something else my wife can roll her eyes about! :laugh:

Phil: Thanks! That $17.98 is a price drop on the Carpenters collection. I should jump on that...AND I'm gonna take you up on your idea to join up for the e-mails and hope to see some discounts. THOSE will always push me off the fence!

Code "HDAUG28" is good for one more day for 15% off storewide

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Don't have them yet (for free shipping told them to ship everything at once when the Hendrix album is released, currently schedule for September 30) but ordered the following SACDs:

Jimi Hendrix / Machine Gun: The Fillmore East First Show 12/31/1969

Steppenwolf / Steppenwolf

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band / The Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Peter, Paul & Mary / Album 1700

Stealers Wheel / Stealers Wheel

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band / The Paul Butterfield Blues Band

If it's anything like the 192/24bit download I have, you should be in for a treat. Both it and "East/West" sounds fantastic. It's criminal that Michael Bloomfield isn't recognized these days for kicking the doors down for what rock guitar can be.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I opted for the SACD vs. the download (I had both albums in my HDTracks wishlist) as after promo code it was only $11.25 and with the other discs purchased free shipping (and of course I will convert it to a DSD file). btw, Paul Butterfied has a cousin named Paul Butterfield who is a recording engineer (http://cgi.audioasylum.com/cgi/mail.mpl?user_ID=5615&f=hug) who will on occasion attend our monthly Space Coast Audio Society meetings.

The ("Super Session") SACD of Bloomfield, Cooper and Stills is also good. I'm starting to catch up with audio stuff and computer audio stuff too so I'll be catching up on my wishlist of albums. Waiting for the new PC (hopefully this Saturday) and moving the (5 year old) old one to the bedroom (and dragged the old heavy Mac G5 tower I had in there to the upstairs bonus room). Got my new speakers for the PC Monday (and moving what I've been using to the bedroom). Had a nice pair of speakers in the office in the old house but when I moved just over 2.5 years back, I put them in the upstairs bonus/guest room and then traded them for floorstanders. I missed having a really nice pair of speakers to listen to a file after I rip it before it goes to the music servers (it's much easier now to gauge how good or bad something is).

Office1.JPG

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Huh. Just did a random search and found THIS...to be released on November 4th:

61NVRnQdnDL.jpg

Amazon has the following specs:

Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio and authored by Gus Skinas at Super Audio Center.

Produced by Todd Rundgren.

Housed in a Stoughton old style tip-on gatefold jacket.

Original stereo mix available on both standard CD layer and high-resolution SACD layer.

Pre-Ordered!! :D

[And, no, I STILL haven't downloaded any digital files yet... :unsure: )

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Mike - thanks for the info. My 5 SACDs I posted earlier are on the way. Audio Fidelity also has a few things coming soon - https://audiofidelity.net/category/sacd

I picked up another SACD and extracted the DSD file - Mighty Sam McClain 'Give it up to Love.' I had a (4TB) hard drive (with about 3TB) of high rez stuff get corrupted. Fortunately, I have multiple back-ups and spent some time between my NAS and the 4TB hard drives in the main and back-up system making sure I have files on all of them. Just listening now and it sounds really good. I have some of his stuff but I heard a cut from another album of his on regular CD (at a live venue) at an audio store (with probably considerable north of $100,000 worth of speakers and components) and was blown away

CD Japan also has a ton of new classical SHM SACDs coming October 5 and some Rock/Pop ones coming on October 26 (although I have many of these already on other SACDs releaseses - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?t...ale_price=&term.caption=&term.audio_language=

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wish there was a clearinghouse for information on the release of new high-rez audio titles (kinda like my Weekly RoundUp).

Someone must keep track of such stuff!

I usually just sorta come across stuff by accident.

Last edited:

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There are sites but I'm not aware of everything in one place. Pause and Play is one site (mostly for CDs) and sometimes they have stuff about SACDs but not often. The problem is that vs. DVDs and Blu-Rays hi-rez music is basically a commercial failure (just not mainstream in the same manner as Blu-Rays). Audiophiles are the ones who care most and they only make up a very minute percentage of people buying music. I do watch a number of sites. There's info like this - http://www.elusivedisc.com/SACD-Pre-Orders/products/507/

However, many pre-orders of certain labels remain as coming soon for a long time. There's also - http://www.findhdmusic.com/
You can subscribe to their alerts. The only reason I haven't is that I have so much stuff on the wishlist of both regular CDs and hi-rez that I go through long periods of falling behind (like right now where I'm trying to get the receiver situation settled in the main system and may be looking for a new music server - I may not get that resolved for a few months and I have on my agenda to also make new speakers cables which will be very expensive with the stuff I use - I made new interconnects for all the systems a year after I intended to and then a few guys in the Space Coast Audio Society wanted them and I made them for material cost which was still very expensive so I got behind on other things).

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Had a brief listen on a secondary system to samples from the DSD files from the 5 SACDs noted in post 2983 above. They all sounded really good. Only a brief listen and not on the main system (hurricane prep - patio furniture in front of the main system). Hopefully everything holds from around 2-7AM where I am and then I can have a better extended listen.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Interesting bit of Trivia about the remaster - "Due to a miscommunication, Kevin Gray was incorrectly listed as the mastering engineer for this title. Album jackets contain this misprint and will be fixed for future pressings." It was out previously (on SACD) but didn't get good reviews - http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/602

Don't know much about the record label (http://analogspark.com/products/meat-loaf-bat-out-of-hell-sacd-coming-soon?variant=21660392199). "Mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound and authored by Gus Skinas at Super Audio Center." They don't show many SACDs in the catalog - http://analogspark.com/collections/sacd

Acoustic Sounds (Analog Productions) is notorious for coming soon and getting pushed back. There's a few things I've had on their wish list for a few years.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah...

I read all that in the Hoffman thread. Curious.

I consider Bat Out of Hell to be a "guilty pleasure." And I always figured it to be one of those situations where high-rez audio would really open up these muddled tracks which are oh-so-familiar to me. It would allow me to hear the songs in an entirely new way.

When I found out, years ago, that it had been issued on SACD (even though the reviews weren't so good), I always hoped I would stumble upon a copy somehow...somewhere. I considered, of course, an HD tracks download, too!

But when I heard about the SACD reissue, I figured this was meant to be! But with all the delays, I guess only time will tell! :D

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Recently re-discovered that Mellencamp's Life, Death Love and Freedom CD was released with a DVD that has a high rez stereo presentation of the album. The codec is "CODE"; something T Bone Burnett was pushing--plays on all DVD players, not just DVD-A players.

Also found the DVD-A of Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now at Amoeba for a very good price. Enjoying that album very much.

Also, I am selling my pristine OPPO BDP-93. I literally have kept my hands off of it. PM me for a link to my Amazon Marketplace store listing.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Yes - I have the Mellencamp CD/DVD. Also have the Joni Mitchel album and several 24/96 downloads of others. Neil Young's Greatest Hits also has a similar CD/DVD package.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's a good one Mike! sounds great and is insanely long! Packaging is pretty spiffy too!

I figured you'd be along with a comment/review Russ! Glad to hear that it "sounds great."

I've read it's a 2.0 mix rather than a multi-channel mix--unfortunately (in my opinion). But the reviews I've read of the disc says the performances are great!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The Amazon wish list is a great tool. Not only shows you price drops but I view it on my phone sometimes if I'm out. One day about a year and a half I was out and had this on my wish list - https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Album...7145229&sr=8-1&keywords=the+bee+gees+6+cd+set

Ended up getting it for $19.99 at a CD shop in a mall. I miss Borders stores too. Once a year (while they were in business) or so they would have a sale all CDs at $9.99. I'd find hybrid SACDs, MoFi gold CDs, etc., for a few years and walk out with several. Even not on sale I picked up out-of-print SACDs a couple of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks