What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, May 1, 2004.

1. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Yes - Close To the Edge on Bluray came in last week but my main system is in pieces while put a new floor in. Bummer.

2. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

I bought Yes Close To The Edge on Blu ray today[so far i've only listened to the cd].

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I ordered it too!My latest acquisitions are the SHM SACD and Platinum SHM CD of Breakfast in America.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Just a heads up for everyone.

A couple of days ago I ordered a couple Blu Audio discs from a place called Beaches Entertainment (via Amazon) for $16.xx apiece.

Most of the discs are currently $17.05.

I ordered Ella & Louis and Breakfast in America. Merry Christmas to me! :D

5. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Yes, I've posted elsewhere about having ordered from Beaches (I got the Ella Fitz/Louis Armstrong BD-A, too).

On the one hand, I want to order more from them before they, too, likely raise their prices on the "HFPA" discs. But on the other, what I *really* want is for all of the Decca titles that a month ago UMG said would street on November 19 to street. Music Direct is still showing a "TBA" street for the Solti Mahler 8, the Mehta Mahler 2 and Dudamel Discoveries. Those are all even higher on the list than the Quincy Jones and Nina Simone.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yeah...even though Beaches has got shipping charges (I think its $3.99 a disc) it was still a LOT less than Amazon (even with free PRIME shipping).

7. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Received an email yesterday from Music direct that my order of the Mofi SACD of Songs for Swingin' Lovers! has shipped. That was fast, considering that I pre-ordered this in December of 2012!

8. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Guess it should arrive by March, 2016. 2017 at the latest. :)

9. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I'm still waiting for Songs for Swingin' Lovers! But Music Direct did something strange and sent A Swingin' Affair! By priority mail. I played it yesterday and it sounds great.These two discs are the last of the Mofi Sinatra Capitol SACDs. They originally had announced 8. However, since UMG acquired Capitol, the others (In the Wee Small Hours, Come Fly With Me) are cancelled. So, of the 8 that were announced in 2012, 6 were released.

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
  11. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Interesting. I have the original DVD-Audio of it. Unfortunately, I kept putting off buying deluxe Tarkus when it was issued and it's no longer available. Kicking myself for that one.

12. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Thanks for both the Sinatra SA-CD overview and the mention of the UMG acquisition of EMI. Somehow I missed that news in late 2012.

Recently bought the Deluxe version of the Tom Petty Anthology to sell after watching and then replacing the 400 documentary and removing the BD to keep with all of the contents of the 4 CDs. Thank Goddess for my Amazon Marketplace store when it comes to these kinds of releases--I don't need the vinyl or to keep the two DVDs but the Deluxe release is the only way to get at the docu and the BD.

13. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Just got Close to the Edge (Blu-ray + CD) and Breakfast in America on Blu-ray. Have only had time to sample Breakfast--seems to be lacking the overly compressed sound of recent re-releases of other material from that period (on hi-res or otherwise). Hoping to have a bit of free time next week to spend a few hours re-acquainting myself with this music (as well as a lot of my hi-res collection that has been woefully neglected of late).

14. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Finally the Toys In the Attic SACD dropped to a price I could rationalize.

Also, the Bon Jovi Have A Nice Day DualDisc for a penny (thank you Amazon Marketplace). Since it's a UMG release, the DVD side is high rez/DVD-A.

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I haven't checked-in in awhile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I've got two of the Sinatra discs in transit to me.

There is a lot of good music in those discs posted above.

The Dean Martin disc is phenomenal. Every bit as good as the Nat King Cole and Sinatra SACDs from that jumping Capitol era.

The Loussier disc has one of those aggressive multi-channel mixes I enjoy.

And, JT's Gorilla (my personal favorite of all his albums) has never sounded better. The same is true for Sweet Baby James.

16. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Question for y'all...I'm looking for another recording of Handel's Water Music and would like to pick up a hirez one if possible. Any recommendations?

17. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie!; Like Someone in Love; Soundtrack of Let No Man Write My Epitaph--all by Ella Fitzgerald, all Analogue Productions SACDs. Was sufficiently impressed by their release of Ray Charles and Betty Carter that I plunked down a heftier sum than I would usually for single disc stereo releases. Looking forward to enjoying my desert island artist when I get home.

18. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    Got Michael Jackson's Thriller in 88k/24bit from hdtracks. Sounds great.

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

THIS looks interesting. It gets released 4-22-14.

It can be yours for just $239.99. :D
    Restored Jazz Big Band Classics 40 Discs Blu-ray Audio Collection 24/96 DTS-HD Stereo (Volume 1&2)
    [​IMG]
    The only description on the Amazon page is this:

20. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Brain Salad Surgery was not 5.1 as advertised. The DVD Audio in the 3-disc package is stereo only 24/96. The only way to get the new 5.1 mix is to buy the $$$ super deluxe edition. Pink Floyd Division Bell haS been reissued for its 20th anniversary. The box set includes a blu-ray audio disc with stereo and 5.1 mixes. You can also download the 24/96 stereo version from HDTracks. Finally, Crosby Stills Nash and Young have released CSNY 1974 Live on CD, vinyl, and blu-ray audio. The blu-ray is stereo only, but Mr. Pono saw to it that the 40 tracks were 24/192. I don't have it yet, but the purchase at Amazon qualified for AutoRip and I'm listening to that on my iPad.