What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (2 Viewers)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Mikael Soderholm said:
JP sounds very interesting, I may have to check that out.What did you think of Grrr! blu? I was amazed at the sound quality still left in those old recordings, it sounded absolutely magnificent, but the navigation on the disc left a little to be desired...
Grrr! Blu sounds great, even on modest equipment. But the navigation is terrible...track numbers only, a 5x10 grid. No track names except on the box. And the number stays flashing on the last track selected, it does not advance when stepping thru the tracks.Still, 50 tracks on one disc is not bad at all.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Got my replacement Thick as a Brick DVD yesterday...found it on the porch this afternoon.

Also picked up the SACD's of Foreigner Head Games and 4 from MFSL. I had these preordered for over 2 years. I already had the Japanese import of 4, with both a stereo and 5.1 mix. The MFSL is stereo-only.

Picked up the DVD DTS 5.1 mix and hi-res 24bit/96kHz stereo mix of Stick Men Deep (Tony Levin, one of the most talented bassists out there, is a member).

Finally, I've been on a HDTracks kick...picked up the soundtracks to Goldfinger and Live and Let Die, and the complete Eagles Studio Albums 1972-1979. I'm really enjoying The Long Run.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
For some reason, I can't get that link to display on my iPad.But I ordered Supertramp Breakfast in America blu-ray audio from Japan.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I wonder if the high-res FLAC downloads only work in Europe or japan (like Ultraviolet, which is country-specific)? I've got region B playback on my Oppo, so that does not concern me.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ordered Breakfast in America from that French site, using Google Chrome to handle the page translations. We'll see how it turns out.

I also ordered McCartney's Wings Over America Deluxe Edition, which comes with a download of the three CD's in high-res. Saved $35 from Amazon by ordering it from importcds.com.

If you just want the 3 CD's, Best Buy has an exclusive package for $16.99 that includes the 2 concert discs, and the bonus disc of 8 similar songs recorded at a different venue.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well I just bought a new 2013 Acura MDX Advance model. :) fantastic 5.1 audio system developed by Elliot Scheiner. Has DVD-Audio capability. Nice little sample dvd-audio disc in the glove box & Dang...wow. Sounds unreal. So I'm late...perhaps too late to the DVD-Audio collecting party but would love some suggestions. Already owned The Lord Of The Rings Fellowship & ROTK 5.1 discs. Looking for The Two Towers but $600 is out of my price! What I've ordered & on the way is:Fleetwood Mac-Rumours DVD-AudioTitanic Dts 5.1 Diana KrallREM Eagles Hell Freezes Over (not DVD audio but 5.1 dts) anyone know a place to buy the 2 towers affordable? Thx for any suggestions. Love soundtracks but like all kinds of music. :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I missed the initial release of Return of the King CD/DVD-A, but found it at Amazon for under $60. I can't believe The Two Towers is so expensive. It is $700 at Amazon.

Donald Fagen The Nightfly is a great DVD-A.

If you like Emerson, Lake & Palmer, their first 2 CD's (self-titled and Tarkus) were released as deluxe editions on CD with DVD-A discs included. Brain Salad Surgery is also available in DVD-A, but it is pricy (under $80, but still, that's a lot).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Oh, Breakfast in America showed up DHL from France to Texas, shipped Friday night.

It included a slip of paper in French with downloads in MP3 and FLAC. The site said "digital version"...I was expecting the FLACs to be high-res, but they were only 16bit/44.1kHz.

I'll listen to the blu-ray later this week.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thank you Steve! Good recommend sets. You got my online home theater hobby started back in 1997 with DVD Resource. It pioneered so many other online places but yours was the first I found.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Tim Glover said:
Well I just bought a new 2013 Acura MDX Advance model. :) fantastic 5.1 audio system developed by Elliot Scheiner. Has DVD-Audio capability. Nice little sample dvd-audio disc in the glove box & Dang...wow. Sounds unreal.So I'm late...perhaps too late to the DVD-Audio collecting party but would love some suggestions.Already owned The Lord Of The Rings Fellowship & ROTK 5.1 discs. Looking for The Two Towers but $600 is out of my price!What I've ordered & on the way is:Fleetwood Mac-Rumours DVD-AudioTitanic Dts 5.1Diana KrallREMEagles Hell Freezes Over (not DVD audio but 5.1 dts)anyone know a place to buy the 2 towers affordable?Thx for any suggestions. Love soundtracks but like all kinds of music.
:)
The Beach Boys Pet Sounds has always been a favorite of mine. Was reasonably priced too but I haven't looked recently.

Alice Coopers Welcome To My Nightmare is also very good, if you like his music at all. This one is a bit of a departure from his normal style.

Steely Dans Goucho.

I'm not sure if they would work in your Acura system but you should also look into the DTS 5.1 discs, especially those from Mobile Fidelity like Fly Like An Eagle from Steve Miller and BTOs Not Fragile. Not DVD-A but still excellent with very aggressive surround mixes which I think would work well in a car audio system.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thx Gene. Good suggestions. If the Titanic 5.1 dts cd works (I've heard it does) then that will open up those other dts titles. Thx again :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'll have to go over my DTS CD's, I have half a shelf of them that I got back when the format was viable. I seem to recall liking Wings Venus and Mars a lot.

Oh, I forgot to mention The Beatles Love DVD-A, which is outstanding in 5.1. (It is even better in the theater in Vegas...25.5 sound with 3 speakers mounted on every seat in the auditorium, plus more speakers all around.)

I figured out how to rip blu-ray audio on my Mac, and have been listening to Breakfast in America this evening through my USB DAC/headphone amp. It sounds good except for tape noise that I hear at the beginning and end of a couple of the songs.

Oh, and thanks for the mention of DVD Resource!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Tim Glover said:
anyone know a place to buy the 2 towers affordable?Thx for any suggestions. Love soundtracks but like all kinds of music.
Tim:Welcome to the (DVD-A) hobby. I suggest searching the thread for DVD-A--some of us have been discussing titles and making recommendations for literally several years in this thread.Re TWO TOWERS "Complete Recordings" DVD-A: I suggest flipping/a rope-a-dope approach. Buy the set from a seller you've confirmed the item's condition with before purchase so you're assured of decent re-sale value, take out the DVD-A and then list the rest of the contents for sale (with it explicit in your item description that what you're selling excludes the DVD-A). You might be able to get a sale very close to the cost for which you purchased the item. There are so many folks out there who are not interested in DVD-A/do not know what it is. This is how I got all three LOtR "Complete Recordings" DVD-As a couple of years ago, frustrated by Warner Bros. having saddled the high rez release with CDs and other effluvia I didn't want but which a Tolkien fan who found my Amazon Marketplace store was happy to buy minus the DVD-A which she had no use for. I made color copies of the covers and inserted them and each disc in a Super Jewel Box. I even kept the liner notes booklets. I plan to do the same thing soon with the Tom Petty Ultimate Collector's Edition Box Set, as I don't want the five CDs, LP and two DVDs--just the BD. In this hobby, I have found that having a sales outlet with great feedback (an ebay account; an Amazon Marketplace storefront) can be very helpful.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
One more DVD Audio to try, if you can find it...Toy Matinee. The song Last Plane Out is just great, and a real 5.1 workout.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Tim,A few of the notable DTS CDs in my collection are Don Henley The End of the Innocence, Wings Venus and Mars and Band on the Run, Sting Ten Summoners Tales, and Brand New Day.If you like soundtracks, A.I. (John Williams) was released on DVD-A. So was The Last Waltz (The Band, et. al.)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Mike Frezon said:
Double wow. But they are region B only?!? There are a couple of these I would snap up in an instant...
I can verify that Breakfast in America blu-ray audio, that I ordered from France, is region free.It has the same numerical style menu as Grrr! Of course, I know this disc pretty well and it has only 10 tracks...it's not the 50 track behemoth that Grrr! is.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
I can verify that Breakfast in America blu-ray audio, that I ordered from France, is region free.It has the same numerical style menu as Grrr! Of course, I know this disc pretty well and it has only 10 tracks...it's not the 50 track behemoth that Grrr! is.
That makes things interesting, Steve.

If I might ask, where did you order from and how much did the disc cost?

And, most importantly, since you know the disc so well...what's your impression of the audio??? Definitely worth the upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks