What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Just picked up Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary Edition in 24bit/192kHz FLAC. It sounds spectacular.

And Foreigner Head Games is on order, a SACD that I've had preordered for 2 years now.

Also have, but have not listened to The Rolling Stones GRRR! (Blu-ray audio disc.)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'm into hi-res discs myself, particularly multi channel, and have been lurking on this thread but thought I would add my 2 cents.

Recommended multi channel that I have been listening to lately...

1. Aqualung - Jethro Tull - blu ray disc as part of an expensive package that also has vinyl, dvd and cd. The blu ray has LPCM 5.1 remix done by Steve Wilson. Breathes new life into this classic album and is highly recommended if you can get by the price.

2. Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull - hi res sampling DVD remixed by Steve Wilson. Another stellar mixing job.

3. Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits - SACD

4. Gaucho - Steely Dan - SACD

5. Eagles - Hotel California - SACD

Recommended Blu Ray

1. Farewell Tour - Eagles
2. Santana - Live at Montreax
3. Rick Wakeman - Six Wives of Henry VIII
4. Joe Satriani which is in 7.1 True HD

I was wondering if anyone who owns BOC Agents of Fortune in SACD can tell me how good the quality is as well as the multi channel mix. I was debating to get this but wanted to make sure it was a quality mix first. Thanks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
While researching the 4-16-13 RoundUp, I stumbled upon this interesting-looking disc. No details up on Amazon, however.

81fcaeKfXeL._SL1500_.jpg

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Gary Seven said:
I'm into hi-res discs myself, particularly multi channel, and have been lurking on this thread but thought I would add my 2 cents.

Recommended multi channel that I have been listening to lately...

1. Aqualung - Jethro Tull - blu ray disc as part of an expensive package that also has vinyl, dvd and cd. The blu ray has LPCM 5.1 remix done by Steve Wilson. Breathes new life into this classic album and is highly recommended if you can get by the price.

2. Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull - hi res sampling DVD remixed by Steve Wilson. Another stellar mixing job.

3. Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits - SACD

4. Gaucho - Steely Dan - SACD

5. Eagles - Hotel California - SACD

Recommended Blu Ray

1. Farewell Tour - Eagles
2. Santana - Live at Montreax
3. Rick Wakeman - Six Wives of Henry VIII
4. Joe Satriani which is in 7.1 True HD

I was wondering if anyone who owns BOC Agents of Fortune in SACD can tell me how good the quality is as well as the multi channel mix. I was debating to get this but wanted to make sure it was a quality mix first. Thanks.
I bought Agents of Fortune SACD several years ago but haven't played it in a while. I gave it a spin today and even though I'm far from a music critic I would call the SQ and mix average at best. I wouldn't call it a bad mix but not one of the best either. Look for it in the discount bin. Don't Fear The Reaper was quite nice but it was a great song on an average album (IMO of course) and I did enjoy it in SACD surround sound. For comparison I put In Ansentia by Porcupine Tree (DVD-A) in next and it's at a whole different level.

Brothers In Arms is great as is Hotel California and Goucho. I wouldn't quite put AOF in there with them. I have to get Thick As A brick. Jethro Tull and Steven Wilson sounds like a great combination.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Thanks for responding Gene. I wish I could find it in a discount bin then I wouldn't have needed to ask about it. Unfortunately, I saw it only on ebay and it usually priced at around 70 bucks, which is alot for average SQ. This and Secret Treaties are my favorite BOC albums, but I guess I'll stick with the vinyl for now.

A note on Thick as a Brick.... the initial releases had a defect on the hi res DTS which has been remedied by the publisher. If you buy it and find a small horizontal line under the time (on the DVD), then you have the correct disc, otherwise, you should get a replacement using this email... [email protected]

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
With my recently built PC, I now have HDMI out capability which can pass audio to my Denon AVR. This has allowed me to explore Hi-Res Audio such as multi-channel DVD-Audio or SACD. Throw in freeware such as VLC Media Player and FooBar and such material can be accessed without the need for additional hardware such as a Multi-format Media Player like a Oppo BluRay player etc.
I have the DVD-A Beatles Love release, SACDs for Alan Parson's - On Air and Don Henley's - End Of The Innocence, and all 3 Complete Soundtracks of the LOTR movies which also have DVD-A tracks.
Now I can listen to the lossless audio tracks on all of them and - HOLY SHEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTT!! What a revelation! The listening experience of those formats has been the most awesome media experience since DVDs first appeared for me. The range, the clarity, the imaging on all of these is fantastic.
But that's not all ( - old news to those of you who frequent this thread no doubt - ) apparently there has been a version of Alan Parson's mix of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon out there since 2006! - a DVD-A quadrophonic 4.1 24/96 edit that is AMAZING!
I don't say this lightly - it's the most significant audio discovery I have made in my entire life.
I have a new hobby now, to find and buy 5.1 audio. :cool:
There is another post here about composer Bear McCreary opening up an online store with LaLaLand Records. Hope he sees fit to so some 5.1 releases too.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Lou, where did you find the Dark Side of the Moon quad DVD-A? Is it the same mix that appeared in the Immersion Box Set a couple of years ago?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks!I am finally listening to the Emerson, Lake & Palmer DVD Audio disc. It's excellent!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I listened to the quad mix of DSOTM from the Immersion box set. First, I had to find it. It will be interesting to compare it to the DVD-Audio disc.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The mix on the DVD Audio is very similar, if not identical to the Immersion version, I notice some hiss in the background that I did not notice in the Immersion version.The DVD-A is MLP 24bit 96kHz. The blu-ray is also 24bit 96kHz and it includes the high-res stereo version and the 2003 5.1 mix, as well.I'll give the edge to the Immersion box set, but for those of you who don't want to put up the $100+ for that, this DVD-A ROIO is a fine alternative,

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Steve Tannehill said:
Just picked up Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary Edition in 24bit/192kHz FLAC. It sounds spectacular.

And Foreigner Head Games is on order, a SACD that I've had preordered for 2 years now.

Also have, but have not listened to The Rolling Stones GRRR! (Blu-ray audio disc.)
JP sounds very interesting, I may have to check that out.
What did you think of Grrr! blu? I was amazed at the sound quality still left in those old recordings, it sounded absolutely magnificent, but the navigation on the disc left a little to be desired...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mikael Soderholm said:
What did you think of Grrr! blu? I was amazed at the sound quality still left in those old recordings, it sounded absolutely magnificent, but the navigation on the disc left a little to be desired...
Well there's something that got by me completely. I just ordered a copy (along with the SACD of Every Breath You Take).

Sounds like Grrr! on blu should be a good time.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks