What's new

What have you done with your VCR? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Being the paranoid person that I am :) and not enjoying the thought of everything being crammed onto one information pipeline i.e. the Internet, which is susceptible to hackers/viruses/IT incompetance & now the corporations fighting the concept of Net Neutrality :angry:, I recommend something like this to help make sure one has (near) constant access to emergency news:

AM/FM weather band radio

or this much smaller Sony, which has TV sound too.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sony and TDK both make highly rated media, but the best overall is Verbatim, for all types. Also, Sony and TDK are two of the few "Name Brands" who actually do manufacture their media. Many others outsource them, and you never really know what you will get untill you open them and check the manufacturer's code. Another good brand is Taiyo Yuden. I have found that good discs burned properly and stored away from light are very stable. The drive is also very important. Unfortunately, Panasonic recorders use Matsushita drives, which are complete garbage. Pioneer, on the other hand, makes excellent drives. I'm talking about the optical drive itself, not the entire recorder on the whole.

John,
I just read on another forum that TDK is no longer manufacturing their DVD media. Big disappointment to me as I very good luck with TDK DVD-Rs when I did any recording.

Ron

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I have two older Sony VCRs that are both part of my AV production office. I only use them to convert people's tapes to DVD.

bradhart

Agent
Real Name
Brad Hart
I use mine for specialty tapes, transferring tapes to disk, and as a backup when my two computer dvr's are busy recording something else.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I still use a VCR but no longer use VHS!
I use D-VHS at least once every month for longer term time-shifting of High Def TV shows and movies.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Am I the only one that immediately took my vcr outside and hit it with a sledge hammer after bringing home a dvd player?

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
It's now part of the kids' system. Can't beat the cost for used VHS at yard sales & they really don't care about ultimate picture quality.

Oren

Stunt Coordinator

Funny, I was thinking of a situation of wanting to watch live TV in case of a disaster affecting other people. Heh. I didn't even consider that I might be in a disaster myself.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't had a VCR in my system for almost 8 years. The one we have left is in the closet "just in case" there is a tape that needs to be viewed for some odd reason. I have sold off or given away more or less all of my VHS tapes as each was replaced with a DVD (or Blu-ray now). Some of my DVDs are being retired in favor of the BD versions :)

motegi

Auditioning
Real Name
Koji Honda
I still have multiple VHS VCRs that I will use to record SD programs. Actually I have one for each TV in the house. My main system has a combo DVD recorder/VCR and my bedroom has a JVC SVHS unit. At one point in time I had literally hundreds of tapes which have now almost been entirely replaced by DVDs. Of course I still have my Laserdisc collection and players!!!

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
What's a VCR?

But seriously, I don't even own one. There has been an occasional film though that I would have liked to watch, but couldn't because it was only on VHS tapes. Oh well. . . I've almost come to the point where I can't stand not watching movies in HD!

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
So what's the cheapest way to move old VHS cassette onto either DVD or a HDD? We really should take our older family movies and preserve them ASAP.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
My JVC S-VHS machine is sitting in a closet. I have about 10 VHS tapes left. The only reason I've not set it up is lack of space in my AV rack. Once I have additional space, I'll hook it up to my system and transfer my remaining tapes to the computer and then I can retire it for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks