What's new

What happened to "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"? (1 Viewer)

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Just got an e-mail from Deep Discount DVD saying my order for "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" has been cancelled because it's been discontinued. It's no longer on their website or DVD Empire for that matter. Anybody know what happened? I'm usually pretty patient about these things, but would love to know if Fox has cancelled the release or if it's just a delay. Glad I hung onto my VHS copy.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Amazon lists release date as August 9. Perhaps they decided to add some extras....

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Although I have been waiting for years for this dvd - I'd be happy if Fox decide to release it as part of their Fox Studio Classics line and add some extras. This film richly deserves a meaningful release on dvd - not just barebones.

I read recently that Fox are disappointed with the sales of its classic titles. They do have several real gems to release, so hopefully there's been a shake up at Fox classics and they have decided to exploit their catalogue more wisely.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I don't think that DVD Empire ever carried A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. I would to know about the relationship between Fox and the retailers. For example, DVD Empire and other retailers were never offered WHAT A WAY TO GO and DVD Empire only belatedly added LETTER TO THREE WIVES. With respect to Columbia, DVD Empire never carried LILITH and it is carrying all of the upcoming wave of Columbia westerns except LUST FOR GOLD.

Back to A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN: it would be a wonderful coup if they had Ted Donaldson do a commentary, TREES only survivor.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm rather ignorant about the retail and business aspects of the DVD business but is it possible that pre-orders for the title were so weak that it was canceled? I only ask because I remember talking to someone from Image Entertainment during the laser disc days (they licensed RKO titles) and asked if The Girl Most Likely would get a laser disc release but he said they actually were going to release it but the pre-orders indicated almost zero interest in the title so they canceled it.

On the positive side perhaps A Tree Grows In Brooklyn will be part of the next wave of Fox Studio Classics releases. But to be realistic, it's a low profile title with no stars and not much of a reputation except for film buffs and classic movie lovers. Apparently Fox got burned on their Fox Studio Classics line with Alexander's Ragtime Band weak sales which may account for more "commercial/mainstream" titles like Return To Peyton Place and The Best Of Everything in the collection.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Surely that's the core audience of the FSC line? Otherwise they might as well present them devoid of extras, in any old AR, at bargain bucket prices and call 'em 'Studio Selections'. Oh, hang on, Universal got there first...

Seriously the FSC is obviously intended to appeal to both buffs and, well, those that aren't buffs. But if it would have helped, I'd have bought several copies of Alexander's Ragtime Band

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Since, both "Pinky" and "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" appear to be cancelled, why do I have a feeling that Fox is preparing a Elia Kazan collection? Those titles along with "Viva Zapata", "Boomerang" and "Man on a Tightrope" would make a great collection of Fox films on dvd.

Crawdaddy

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
According to my records, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" was scheduled for release on February 22, 2005.

Canceling this disc so close to the release date, may mean they want to release it at a more opportune time. Perhaps the holiday season.

It could also mean there is a legal issue.

Putting more supplements on it is not likely, if it was manufactured for the above release date.

Paul

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

IMO, I think this title was cancelled along with "Pinky" at the same time. I don't have any concrete proof, just a feeling that both titles will be released together. Lately, I've seen many dvd releases cancelled with etailers being notified much later of the cancellation.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks