What's new

What happened at the Staddon chat? (1 Viewer)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

I'm sorry Aaron but wow a “budget line” release (strong sarcasm)! Now I hope this movie never makes it on our current optical disc format because obviously they could have cared less. I mean I never expected a royal 2-disc set. But damn can we get a high definition master transferred from the original negatives. How about a remixed 2.0 track? This movie won’t warrant a 5.1 mix. Even MGM released Tom Holland’s Fatal Beauty (1987) starring Whoopi Goldberg and Sam Elliott in non-anamorphic widescreen on DVD; it’s been around for a while now.

Aaron_H

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
Yeah, I wasn't sure what to think about the "budget line" reference either. I would love to have something special about it, of course. The main thing is that it's released in OAR with a decent transfer.

But a commentary with Penny Marshall and/or Whoopi would be cool.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator

D'oh! I was going to get in on this chat and ask about that show, too. I completely forgot about the chat until I saw threads discussing it today. :frowning:

Dave C.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
THE INNOCENTS would be a perfect release (perhaps along with THE LODGER and HANGOVER SQUARE) for next Halloween. I appear to be post #107 or so in this thread, and already there have been a dozen mentions of THE INNOCENTS. Fox, please start work on this! One of the half-dozen best ghost story movies ever made.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
well,
unfortunately fox do not look to release anamorphic special editions of RAISING ARIZONA & ROMANCING THE STONE anytime soon :frowning:
two of the best movies of the 80's
but on the upside, he is trying to re-release a new anamorphic ABYSS which is very good news

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't really think of much else to ask, which is why I posed that question. For the most part it's annoying but nothing critical, but the issue with Buffy #100 is more serious, imo.

But, by the sounds of it, the producers of the dvd were 'edit happy'. I'm assuming they just loaded each episode in whatever (digital?) editing machine they use and if they heard 'previously on' they simply snipped it. When they got to #100, they probably just thought it was the standard old recap. At the very least it's obvious that there wasn't anyone familiar with the source material working on it (or at least telling them what not to cut), which is disappointing.

Anyway, I do think that for the most part recaps on dvd are less important than on tv. But I'd still like them to be there for history's sake. Still, they would be useful for people watching an episode every now and then.

It's a little off-topic, but could someone point me to a thread or site which details how dvd producing works? From the sound of it, Fox isn't directly involved and I'm intrigued to know exactly how it works. I don't mean on a technical level, but rather on a studio dvd producers 'relationship' level.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Having read the transcripts it just confirms to me that FOX has practically released every title that i've wanted from them.

Outside the STAR WARS TRILOGY, I can't think of anything they haven't released that i'd be interested outside of reissues.

Next will have to be when HD- DVD comes out!

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, Dave; in regards to movies.

There still quite a few tv shows from various studios that I'd like to see on dvd.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Regarding the "Previously"s on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for some reason, the "Previously" was left on the first episode of the second season. Kind of strange that out of 100, that's the only one.

It is a bit irritating that they're not included on the DVDs, as often the episodes pick up on music cues or otherwise lead-in from them.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Well, I guess the task at hand is to find out who the DVD producers are and contact them about the missing previously segments. If that's possible.

Chris

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I didn't ask the question but I believe there is a lot of footage out there that wasn't reinserted. I seem to recall that, among others, they filmed a confrontation between Mulder and CSM in the Arctic Base at the end of the film. Supposedly most of the cuts were to make the film more accessible to casual or first time viewers.

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator

ok, this is a bit weird. I'm new to Buffy (just bought the dvds recently), and I've based my knowledge purely on what I've read.

I have Buffy seasons one, two and three on region four dvd. I read that the region four copy had the 'previously ons' intact, but I'm over halfway through season two and I haven't seen a single one yet. In fact, I just checked 2x01 and it doesn't even have the one you mention! I hear a musical note and then the episode begins with Xander and Willow halfway through their 'guess that line' game.

Hmmm... I'd be very interested to know which episodes originally had 'previouslies', which episodes originally had 'she is the slayer' clips and ultimately a list of which regions has which of these clips. My belief that the region one didn't have any and region four had all of them has been shattered.

I don't want to watch it yet, but I think I'll try and find confirmation that 'the gift' intro is actually present in r4!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I just read the transcript and have to echo Peter's lament about nobody stating anything regarding Firefly. At the very least, somebody should have prefixed one of their questions regarding Space:A&B with a hearty "Thank You!" for the super presentation on DVD of that short-lived series.

On another note, I, too, have to lament the fact that there is currently no consideration for an anamorphic SE release for Romancing the Stone, one of my favorite movies from the 80's. I'm quite frankly *shocked* that Fox doesn't seem to think that there's a demand for it!!

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
> You have to wait until you're recognized by Ron, then he allows you to post your question. You first have to "yo" when prompted, then he takes the top responders in order on his screen, and allows them to ask their questions one at a time as he calls upon them.

OK, just so I understand this... Ron sends you an IM or something like that? And then you type in "yo"? That wasn't clear to me at all. Are there step by step directions on how to participate in these chats posted anywhere? I looked around without any finding anything.

Thanks again, sorry for the boring technical questions.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
That's odd, because on the very first page when you click on "Chat" in HTF's header it lists exactly that, step by step instructions. To add to that, at the beginning of the chat and after each 'round' of questions, Ron clearly states when those with questions should type "Yo". If you type too early it wont get registered which is why you probably got the error messages - I did as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks