What's new

What happend to the Matrix Trilogy on BD? (1 Viewer)

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
I thought the sets (Ultimate & Trilogy) were supposed to come out near the end of the year? Did I miss something or is it still MIA?

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
A definite time-frame wasn't mentioned. Warner is probably still waiting for progress in the BD interactive standards and implementation.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't count on Anime being in HD.

As for the Matrix, Warner will release it once they can include the IME.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
The Animatrix IS in HD on the Ultimate Edition for HD-DVD.

But not the regular three disc package.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
The Animatrix is NOT available in HD at this time. The three disc "Complete Matrix Collection" contains the three films plus a few extras. The muti-disc "Ultimate Collection" contains the three films in HD plus all the extras from the DVD release plus the Animatrix in SD only.

X-Box Live offered a free download of The Animatrix with the purchase of the "Complete Matrix Collection", but it too was only 480p.

This was a huge oversite on Warners part, and I'm sure that we may still see this in HD at some point. I know that Final Flight of the Osiris was shown theatrically in front of Dreamcatcher, so at least some of The Animatrix was produced in HD.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
Wow, I got served up.

I just made assumptions since it was in the disc set. I only have the Matrix Trilogy collection, but everything I read led me to belive it was HD.

N/M.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hopefully it will be in HD by the time the BD version is released. The titles are still listed as "no date" for BD.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
what's interesting is in the Blood Diamond HDDVD's web-connect survey, one of the poll questions was 'which HDDVD would you most look forward to', and Animatrix was one of them.

there were *many* Animatrix-was-it-an-HD-source threads over at avs, but it was never definitively determined. who knows. but this and bmwfilms shorts are 2 short collections i'd love in HD.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't trying to be an ass, I was mostly just venting my frustration with the lack of an HD version of The Animatrix. When they announced the HD DVD sets, I was willing to pay extra for the Ultimate Collection just to get that title. I went with The Complete Collection instead.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew

Oh know, I didn't think you were, I was simply admitting my own embarrassment.

Did you like the extra commentaries? I think the critics ones were okay, they sometime had long periods of silence, but brought up interesting points I think.

I haven't tried the Philosophers commentaries yet though.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
As I posted before I wouldn't count on it being in HD.

WB wants the HD and BD sets to be similar and the main reason it is not on BD is the lack of IME support.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator

I bought the SD DVD version of the Ultimate Collection when it first came out. I thought the critics commentaries were okay as well. They seemed a lot more fun on paper than execution. I only listened to a bit of the philosophers ones. They were okay as well, but I found the discussions that went on on this very forum at the time of Reloaded's theatrical release to be much more illuminating.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
As far as the Matrix goes I'd gladly shell out money for a "collection" that only included the first movie and The Animatrix (in HD) and left out the last two movies. Keep the quality stuff . . . IMO, of course. :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
If I could get this set with the best possible video and sound, the rest really would not matter to me. They could be menu-less autostarting discs for all I care.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Older thread up..

Some rumors:

The Digital Bits Rumor Mill - Current Posts

"Sources at Warner Home Video have confirmed to us that when The Matrix Trilogy makes its way to Blu-ray (likely in the 4th quarter, timed to the DVD and Blu-ray release of Speed Racer), The Animatrix will also be released on Blu-ray Disc in true 1080p high-definition. Whether it will be included in the box set or released separately (or both) is still TBD, but the simple fact that The Animatrix wasn't included in high-def in the HD-DVD box set was a key complaint for fans, so it's nice to know the studio is rectifying that on Blu-ray."

I´m not a huge fan of Matrix, but "The Animatrix" in 1080p probably sounds good for many people, I´m sure..

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I purchased the standard 3 disc set on HD-DVD and it looks and sounds great. So unless the Blu-ray version comes out with a DTS-HD MA track I will stick with the HD-DVD with Dolby True HD. But if the Animatrix is available seperate and in 1080p I might just pick that up by it's self.

I own The Matrix Trilogy on both SD-DVD and HD-DVD so I am not to sure I would run out and buy it again on Blu-ray. Well maybe if I hit the lottery. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks