What's new

What guage Power Cable you running? (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
In my old car stereo I first had one 4-channel amp using an 8g amp kit. Later I added a 10" sub and simply another 8g cable isntead of a single 4g. Just found it easier this way and research told me it would work fine, as it did.

I'm gonna be buying a used 240sx or Maxima in the coming weeks and I was wondering what size cable to start off with. I want to go much further quality-wise this time using Focal components, RF amps, 2 12"ers, and an Alpine HU with at least 3 4-volt preouts. Will 4AWG be enough or should I go bigger?

Diallo B

Screenwriter
I would go with the 4 gauge. You could go 2 or higher but at that point you are asking for install trouble when trying to run that cable through certain points of the car and under the carpet and such.

Run a line of 4g from the battery to wherever you amps are going to be and put the 4 gauge into a 2 or 4 point distribution block. Then if you want to expand again you simply have to run a line from the distribution block versus running a whole separate line. Make sure that the distribution block is capable of holding 4g cable though.

djb

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I run 0ga. from my battery to a distrubution block. From there it splits into 2 4ga. to my two amps.

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
I have 4awg, split off into a distro block with 8awg to 2 amps. Though what I have is sufficient, I wish I had run 0awg just for the potential of upgrades.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
How thick/big around is high strand count 0-gauge cable?

Curious

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Geoff - I'm not exactly sure on a strand count. Could probably find the info online somewhere. My friends usually refer to it as a garden hose if that gives you an idea. :D

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
I just ran a 4-ga ultraflexible link in my '91 Maxima to the trunk. There is splits to 2 of the 4-chx60w Sony amps and a 200W sub. Seems perfectly adequate.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I finally ordered my parts online and did some more research. I'm going with an 8g for the 4-channel amp, and a seperate 4g for the sub amp (it'll be powering two 12's).

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I've got 1/0 gauge running to a distribution block, then 4 gauge running to my two amps. And the phoenix gold 1/0 I have is about the size of a quarter.:D

Users who are viewing this thread