What's new

What games drove you to insanity? or What games couldnt you finish? (1 Viewer)

Rodrick

Second Unit
Well since I have only played portable game systems, or else my friends game systems.

I'd have to say only Berserk maze space game from the arcades and APPLE II computers was the hardest wave after wave I pass but never could finish the game.

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
ugghh!! For me it was Tomb Raider (I think the second one) on the Play Station. I hate jumping games. Expecially because in Tomb Raider you could only save it at certain points in the game. It almost never failed. I would die towards the end of each section. Then you start all over again at the beginning of that section! I remember being so sick of one level. I could do the whole thing very easily until the end. You had to run and string together like 4 good jumps or fall to your death. Complete NIGHTMARE!!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
The last level where you have to save the president in Driver for the PS-One did it for me. The entire freakin' secret service is chasing you with souped up cars and slamming you off the road! I last about 3 seconds on that level. After about 100 attempts with little progress, I gave up. "Let the President die," I say.

Also, I gave up on Lord Of The Rings: Two Towers. The final level (at least I think it's the final level) where you're fighting inside Helm's Deep was just stupid-hard. This was really frustrating because the rest of the game was pretty easy.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I had the same problem with LOTR: The Two Towers.....I did finally beat it but it was more of a relief to not have to play the damn thing anymore than any feeling of accomplishment....it felt like pure luck that I did it.

Here's one from the past, the text adventure Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy....AHHHHHH!!!! I couldn't even get out of bed at the beginning of the damn game for two hours! And then it got harder! BAAAAAAHHHHH!!(walks away);)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
You guys remined me of a couple others that need to be adeed to my list:

Splinter Cell- Need I say more?!

Fatal Frame- Kept getting stuck and running out of film. That game is scary as hell too.

I might pick it up used and try it again since I sold it a while ago. I had played it soooo much the past year I dont know if I want to. I look forward to giving San Andreas a shot though when it hits XBox.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
More recently, the new Goldeneye (X-Box). Got to the end of the last level (where you enter the circular room and have to kill about 12 guys). Impossible. Played for 5 hours straight. Gave up. Don't want to go back to it as getting to that room is hell (you can only save once per level, at the half way point, but when you die you will re-spawn fairly close to where you die).

Granted, I'm playing on the hardest difficulty setting....

Hitchhikers Guide was one that gave me a lot of trouble. Especially the part where you get stuck in the whale. Had to go find a strategy guide on that one. Wow. That just brought back a lot of painful memories. Perhaps, if I had not wasted my youth on games like that, the Zork Trilogy, Deadline (now that was TOUGH) and so on, I might have turned into a normal, well developed, sociable human being. Oh well. Too late now! :) :)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I am really surprised to see that no one mentioned Gran Turismo 1, Gran Turismo 2 or Gran Turismo 3 . Was it me, or were these three games long as h**l? For me, I got up to about where you begin to do the races that take about 2 to 3 real time hours, at this point I just give up.

WilliamH

Auditioning
Final Fantasy 7 Never did try to beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon...i tried once, got destroyed first turn

Mario 3 Last Level....where u are in the dark...yup never got passed that

Final Fantasy X-2 Since I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and i need to finish my game with 100%, tried getting 100% but onlt got to 99% after playing the game from start to end 3 times

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I was having a good time reading this thread until you guys started talking about Hitchhikers and Zork and such. Now I just feel old. ;) (...and I don't think I ever finished those either.)

While we're on the topic of the old Infocomm text adventures...anyone remember "Leather Goddesses of Phobos?" :D

I loved "Splinter Cell", but couldn't get past the "Abbatoir" level... a spot where you are trapped by several waves of baddies. Almost put my controller through the TV. Come to think of it, although I loved it, I don't think I finished "Pandora Tomorrow" either.

One game that TOTALLY pissed me off was "Black & White" for the PC. Not sure if it was because of the hype, or because after the third level I just got tired of beating my giant monkey. Meh.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes

Yup. Have it, but could not quite finish it. Got pretty far, but not to the end.

The problem with some text games like Phobos and Hitchhikers was that you basically went from point A to B to C and so on, but could never go back. Zork was great because you could chose which way to go, did not have to get the treasures in a specific order (for the most part) and so on.

How about Starcross? That was hard, could not figure anything out!

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
BLASTER MASTER for the NES. My friend and I played it all weekend back in the day, to the point where the machine would freeze up from being so hot. We eventually beat it - on a different weekend. Awesome game.

Played it four years ago, first time in 15 plus years. Beat it in four hours. Memories die hard. :D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I also forgot about SwordQuest for the Atari 2600. It was a game/comic book/contest. I could only get the first clue, and couldn't find any more. Dumb game.

Did anyone ever win the prize?

StephenA

Screenwriter
I just thought of another one: The Pac-Man scrolling game for TurboGrafx-16. The thing was hard, especially since the cotntrols to control Pac-Man were backwards. Instead of pressing right to mack him go, you had to press left and instead of of pressing up to make him go up, you had to press down. It really confused me and made the game frustrating for me to play.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Geez Dave... I remember SwordQuest. I think I had the same results as you. :D

I still love the ol' 2600 "Adventure". :D

DaveSarcevic

Agent
That's odd that a few people said Splinter cell. I just started replaying this game. It's one of my favorites. Pandora
Tomorrow was somewhat of a let down, really looking forward to Chaos Thoery at the end of March. I'm picking up Call of Duty tomorrow for the Xbox. Best Buy has it on sale for $35, everywhere else has it for $50.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Anybody remember the text game, I think it was for Commodore, maybe Atari Computers, about being stuck in a underwater sea facility, and having to go out in a sub, and all I remember was a female captain named Zoe.

Doubt anybody knows what I am talking about, but worth a shot.

Brandon

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Brandon, I doubt this is it, but was it Planetfall? I remember trying to play that on my old C64 and it was uterly frustratring.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I played a load of text adventures on my old Commodore 64. Could it be Seabase Delta?

I gave up on FFX when I reached the final battle - My characters were just too weak and I didn't have the time and patience to go back and unlock all the super weapons. I enjoyed playing it, though.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Seastalker? That was an infocom game. Planetfall was the one that dealt with the robot Floyd. Very tough, but well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks