What's new

What firewire cable Sony to Panasonic E60? (1 Viewer)

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a Panasonic E60 & I'm curious what type of firewire cable I need to go from a Sony Handycam TRV340 to the E60? I know nothing about this but from what I've read, does a 6 pin male end to a 4 pin male end sound right? Any help or comments about this would be greatly appreciated.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
The Panasonic website says that the e60 has a 4 pin firewire connector, so I'd say 4 pin (male) to 4 pin (male).

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the comments. I just looked at the two connections & they are identical. Not sure why I didn't do that before...

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Gary

I too have the Panny DMR-E60 DVD Recorder & have struggled with the FireWire (i.Link) connection to my Panasonic PV-DV203 Mini DV Camcorder. I bought a cheap (? $25-) 4-pin FireWire at BB & it worked the 1st time, but the 2nd time I tried, the E60 wouldn't recognize the connection and I didn't get that "DV Auto Record" option in the recorder "function" menu. I tried everything ... very frustrating.

After searching the web I learned that there have been numerous reports of trouble (failed connections) when using cheap FireWire connectors. They suggest using an official Sony or Panny i.Link connector (silly that I have to pay $50- for this).

My biggest peeve however, it that when I did a DV Camcorder transfer to the E60 (DVD-R format), the E60 ALWAYS forces me to choose the recording mode (i.e. 1 hr, 2 hr, etc.) This indicates to me, that the recorder is converting the video datastream [digital-analog-digital]. This really frustrates me, since I really wanted a direct digital-digital transfer. It seems obvious to me that in a direct D-D copy, I wouldn't have the option of changing the encoding bitrate, right? The Panny lit & PR's say you can do a D-D transfer, but I have yet to get it working. Confusing, no?

I suspect I'll be on the horn with Panasonic TS this week to try to get more info.

Scott

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting... I ordered a cheap (dirt) one on eBay so I'm interested in experimenting when it comes. I'll post my results, if any. You would think a Panasonic to Panasonic conection would be the simplest of all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks