What's new

What DVD box set would you say is the best produced with most extras? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I would have to vote for the Dick Van Dyke Show as the TV DVD set with the most extras as well as best produced. Honorable mentions go to the Twilight Zone Definitive Edition, and Seinfeld. What do you all think is the best produced DVD box set out there today?

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator
As far as sets I own, I would have to go with the Twilight Zone Definitive Edition sets.

I don't own the Freaks and Geeks Yearbook set, but it is pretty loaded...

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Nothing can even begin to touch the Yearbook Edition of Freaks & Geeks. Seriously, guys, you have no idea. They created a mock annual for the set! They have 8 discs for a series that lasted 18 episodes! They have 29 commentaries (including fan commentary) for those episodes! They seriously culled together every single thing you could want and that they had for that set. No other TV DVD set has topped it in terms of being "loaded", and it may be a long time before any one ever does. The production is seriously as good as it gets.

Sure, I have the TZ Definitive sets, but they are not nearly as loaded. They could have gotten way more audio commentaries, for instance. In fact, the commentaries that are there are the only new features that were created for these sets. Everything else is from the archives. And a production mistake, IMO, is failing to include the Play All feature so far.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
No love for The Simpsons sets? Granted, there nowhere near the F&G yearbook set (which I don't own but have seen courtesy of scans from a friend) but the Simpsons sets are excellent.

RossRoc

Grip
i would have to say the simpsons sets are probably one of the best. They have commentaries for all the episodes. I wish all series would do the same.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Definitely THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.

Since I'm not into "modern" shows like Freaks (never watched one second of it), I have to give this honor to the Van Dyke series. It's just top notch all the way!

Gary "Image gets major props for doing such a wonderful job on that set" O.

StacyV

Second Unit
Here's part of what I posted in another forum when the same question was asked:

An 80 page yearbook, with tons of pictures and stories. You get two discs of bonus material: a 75 minute Q&A session with the cast at the Museum of Television & Radio, three complete table reads, photo galleries, more promos, more audition tapes, more behind the scenes footage, more deleted scenes (all in addition to the commentaries, bloopers and other stuff on the standard edition.) I doubt any other set will come close to what's on this one. Granted, it's the complete series, so the bonus material won't be spread out over various seasons. In this case, everything is concentrated on one release. Still, Freaks & Geeks Yearbook Edition is the one to beat.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
These are my picks:

I Love Lucy - each individual season set, complete series set
The Dick Van Dyke Show - each individual season set
Here's Lucy - the best-loved episodes set

All three were just loaded with extras. You can tell that a lot time and effort were put into these sets.

changa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
From my collection:-
Number 1 -I Love Lucy.(All Season Sets) .
If only Warner Bros did it for CHEYENNE-they might learn a thing or 2 from the Lucy Sets-i.e. a labour of love.
Congratulations for all those responsible for the marketing of Lucy.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Anything produced by Paul Brownstein:

Dick Van Dyke
Gunsmoke 50th Anniversary
Here's Lucy
Sgt. Bilko
Wild Wild West

and others, including the upcoming Perry Mason 50th Anniversary set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks