What's new

What Does XM/Sirius Merger Mean For Hardware? (1 Viewer)

mylan

Screenwriter
It doesn't seem to be compatible, so will my Sky Fi2 stop working? What about all the receivers that have XM? Will the connect and play antenna even work?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think the model you are going to need to look at is the Sprint/Nextel model. Both of those companies had very different networks and a lot invested in them. So, they continued to have their own phones for a while. Now, you are starting to see phones which support both networks.

Otherwise, I don't think you are going to need to worry about equipment for a while. Hell, that's even if the merger goes through, which will take a while to find out.

Jason

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One of the things in the announcement today is that right from the start, both companies would carry "full feed" so that people with either hardware (XM or SIRI) would hear the full feed of the new final product, which effectively extends their coverage area.. XM will now have broader access into Canada & the tropics and SIRI will have access to repeaters.

Win/Win.

Ken CM

Agent
I'm confused by the hardware comments as well. They claim that the integrated tuners in cars will continue to work AND carry additional programming (there example - I'll get both Oprah AND Martha).

My assumption is that the hardware in my car can only pick up the XM satellite "signal". Wouldn't they have to further compress the stations to fit more channels? As I've commented before, many of the music channels sound hollow and tinny already.

????? is there is some sort of firmware upgrade they can beam down that allows the tuner to now pick up channels from both Sirius and XM satellites ????

Brent T

Second Unit
Well Mel Karmazin was on Howard this am and he answered a few questions

#1 - Each companies hardware will still be used after the merger. The exclusive content will be available on each set of hardware as well. So XM'ers can get Stern, NFL etc and Sirius users will get MLB and Oprah

#2 - There was no mention of Opie & Anthony and their contract

#3 - There will not be a price increase and there is a chance subscription prices will go down. However he hinted that this will only happen if they use an ala carte system where the user gets to pick and choose their programming.

#4 - There will no longer be any music channels with commercials. There was no mention on which music channels will make it and which will not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks