What's new

What does everyone think about headphones? (1 Viewer)

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking about an audio solution for when I go off to college next year. I'm thinking about investing in a decent pair of headphones (like a couple hundred dollars.)

My current stereo is a pair of JBL S26 with a sealed Adire Tempest DIY sub. How much does one have to invest in headphones to compete with a setup like that?

I'll probably be driving these via computer sound card. I doubt that is the best setup when fidelity is concerned. What do you know about headphone amps? Are they affordable? Are there DIY kits available? Is it going to make a large impact on the sound? (by large I mean is it noticeable and worthy of the cost)

I consider headphones because I think its a lot more courteous to the neighbors, and I'd imagine price/performance is higher than regular speakers.

My listening habits are diverse. I listen to nearly all genres of music, lots of Pink Floyd, Tool, Classic Metalica, and Rap. I tend to prefer warmer sounds because it makes the bass seem to have more impact and seem more detailed, and its more comfortable listening at high volumes. So a headphone that fits these characteristics would be more ideal.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

-Mark-

Scott McC.

Stunt Coordinator
Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's. you could go with the HD-580s(open), but you need a good amp, like the META-42. The Hd-280's are $65 at newegg.com which is extremely reputable. Great sound quality and comfy to boot.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Sennheiser HD580's for $150 without a doubt. No problems driving with a Denon or Sony ES receiver but a dedicated amp would probably be an improvement.
The difference is that open headphones go around the ear and are more comfortable to wear. The only drawback is that your roomate can hear it too :D

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
The difference is that open headphones go around the ear and are more comfortable to wear.
Not true - most cheap headphones are open, but sit on your ear (supraaural) but others like the mentioned Sennheiser 580/600s are open and go around your ear (circumaural). Closed phones are generally either circumaural or canalphones (go inside your ear).
I will add Grados into the list of recommendations. The true test, as with speakers, is to listen yourself.
There are plent of options for DIY headphone amps - I have made both a battery powered CMOY amp and an outlet powered META42 amp. Tangent's web page tells you how to make both of those.
Read the pages at headphone.com head-fi.com and headwize.com for LOTS of info on headphones.
headphone.com open vs closed

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Brad, can you give an approximation of what it would cost to build a Meta42 with a crossfeed circuit that can be outlet or battery powered?

How do you think it would compare to the Headroom Little or Meier amps?

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin,

I would have to do some estimation on the cost of a META42 as it can vary greatly depending on the opamp used, quality/size of caps, stacking of buffers, case, power supply, potentiometer, etc.

Mine (outlet powered, DIY integrated AC/DC converter, AD8620 opamp, single buffers, Panasonic pot, Jung multiloop, wooden box) was about $140 in parts IIRC. I know people have made META42s that are several hundred dollars with super high-end components. I want to add a crossfeed to mine, but haven't shopped for the parts yet. It looks like the one Tanget has shown would be fairly cheap - maybe $20?

I found the META42 easier to assemble than the CMOY largely because of the nice PCB from Tangent. The hard part of the META42 is the parts selection - it isn't just a shopping list like the CMOY, you have to do some thinking. My hat is off to Tangent for making the process a lot easier with his instructions and the parts he sells.

As for a comparison, check the forums at head-fi.com such questions are often asked there. I've never tried any other amps except my CMOY. I've done them largely as a hobby project, not because I needed high-end amplification.

Iver

Second Unit
Most colleges cram two people into one of those lovely little 12 by 12 cinderblock cubicles. In such a circumstance, headphones will be worth their weight in gold.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I would go with something like the Grado SR60 or the SR80. Having owned the JBL S26, I feel the both Grado sets of headphones exceed the performance possible with the JBLs.
As for headphone amp, I am currently considering this one.

StephanieM

Grip
What about headphones for a portable dvd player. I have the Toshiba SD P2000 and want a decent pair that are comfortable for at least an hour and are easy to carry in a bag. Are the HD 497s good for this or is an upgrade to the HD 280s essential? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks