What's new

What do you think the next Time Life Set will be? (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
"The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" even as a 'best of' collection is going to be great - 4 or 5 discs - that's alot of material.

I don't see why Time-Life would have a problem clearing some of the music - atleast the Brother's performances-monologs. :)

Heck,as I mentioned in a previous post - what outfit has the most experiance in licencing music for compilations (ie-the CD sets) but Time-Life. :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I'm definitely in for this set. I remember the series well, and thoroughly enjoyed the documentary about the censorship problems on the show that came out a few years ago. A good appetizer if you are also planning to order this set.

I also believe the performance of The Who on this show is where Keith Moon overstuffed the dynamite on his drum set triggered to explode at the finale of their song and it went off just as Pete Townshend was gliding by on his knees playing his ax. And this was responsible for most of the hearing loss he permanently suffered. And that's just the tip of the iceberg for the history-making incidents on this series.

Amazon.com: Smothered - The Censorship Struggles of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour: David Steinberg, David Halberstam, Nancy Nolan, Nicholas Johnson, George Segal, Bette Davis, Rob Reiner, George Burns, Mason Williams (II), Dick Smothers, Jack Ben

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
The Smothers Brothers' website, Smothers Brothers Home Page, has the following posted:

AT LAST!!!

YES, THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS COMEDY HOUR SHOWS ARE FINALLY BEING RELEASED ON DVD. TOM AND DICK HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH TIME LIFE AND AWARD-WINNING PRODUCER, PAUL BROWNSTEIN, TO PERSONALLY HANDPICK THE SHOWS AND MANY HOURS OF BONUS MATERIAL FOR RELEASE OF "THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS COMEDY HOUR--THE BEST OF SEASON 3".

INCLUDED WILL BE SEGMENTS WHICH WERE ORIGINALLY CENSORED BY CBS, AMAZING OUTTAKES FROM OUR ARCHIVES, AUDIO REFLECTIONS JUST RECORDED BY TOM AND MUCH, MUCH MORE.

IN KEEPING WITH THE ICONOCLASTIC NATURE OF THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS, TOM AND DICK DECIDED TO RELEASE THE BEST OF SEASON 3 FIRST. SEASONS 2 AND 1 WILL FOLLOW SHORTLY.

WE'LL BE POSTING MORE INFORMATION ON THIS SITE SOON, INCLUDING HOW TO PRE-ORDER FOR DELIVERY IN AUGUST AND ALL THE DETAILS OF WHAT IS INCLUDED ON "THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS COMEDY HOUR--BEST OF SEASON 3".

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I came across some episodes of "It Takes a Thief" that i had recorded on betamax many moons ago. In watching a few today, i forgot how great it was. Maybe this series could be something Time Life could consider. I sure as hell would be tickled pink by it. But i can't speak for everyone. My feeling is this is probably not that popular of a show with many. So i better not get my hopes up.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'd love it if it was all 14 seasons of Knots Landing and the 1997 reunion mini-series.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, at least that primetime soap has had a previous home video release, as opposed to the still-missing Peyton Place!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks for mentioning "It takes a thief" Aryn Leroux! This was one classy, entertaining and stylish show with great production values, casting, stories and paceing...like you I won't hold my breath about ever seeing it on DVD, strange that it isn't mentioned more often and isn't as well remembered as other inferior shows in the same general genre and era...I am however thrilled to hear that the Smothers Brothers comedy hour will see some treatment on DVD, allthough like everyone here I'd prefer whole episodes in season packages...oh well...

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Okay, I got an email from Time Life with a coupon code (TLSUMMER) for 10% off, so I thought I'd order this Smothers Brothers DVD which is coming out supposedly on August 1, but if you do a search on the Time Life website, it's NOWHERE to be found.

And if you use this link from the TSoD site, there is no option to input the discount code (though it does offer free shipping). You just put your credit card in. Same with the Smothers Brothers website.

https://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/...:MicroSiteView

Anyone know why this isn't listed on the Time Life website yet? And how to use this code? Perhaps just phoning Time Life?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys -

So I was poking around, and found some coupon codes to knock a couple of bucks off of the Ghostbusters set:

* $15 off $99 coupon AFCCABIN
(no experation date)

* 20% off $220 coupon: AFBEACH
(good until the 18th)

* 15% off $120 coupon; AFSUN
(the guy couldnt find this one in his computer, so I dont know if it works)

* 10% off coupon any size: AFSALE
(good until the 18th)

* Free Shipping over 50$ Coupon: LKFS86
(The one I went with, since the shipping on the set is 18 bucks, or just about 15% off)

Also, it seems that there's no down side to the 4 payments instead of one big payment. No intrest, no service or handleing fees - you just get to spread the payments out free and clear. It said that you could spread it out over 4 payments online, but when I called to double check something, the man on the end was able to spread it out over 5 payments of about 30 bucks each.

It makes the 170 pill go down real easy that way.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

The only discounts Time Life offers that would apply to this set ($69) that I could find are these two codes to enter when ordering:

AFSALE (10% off)

or

LKFS86 (Free shipping for orders over $50)

And you probably can't use both. So, if shipping is less than $7, the 10% code is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks