What's new

What do you think, is there a chance for Arthur(1981)? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so far we have a bare bones version of Artur on dvd. It isn't even widescreen!!!

Early next year the remake of Arthur hits theaters. Most studios(Including WB) usually release the film that spawns the remake in a better version on Blu-Ray, and dvd.

I'm crossing my fingers for an anamorphic widescreen release of Arthur with special features, and lossless audio on Blu-Ray. If not I'll settle for a spruced up special edition on dvd.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Warner has had this remastered and ready to go since '06 (you can check their comments about it in one of the chat transcripts). I've been wondering what they were waiting for- didn't realize there was a remake coming.That solves that mystery. I would say a Bd release is a given for next year now (it would also be the 30th anniversary anyway).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by PaulDA

There's a remake? Who are the principals?

I had heard that Russell Brand, Jennifer Garner and Helen Mirren were in it. That being said, it doesn't matter who is in it because, like all remakes, the fans of the original are going to complain either way.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

I had heard that Russell Brand, Jennifer Garner and Helen Mirren were in it. That being said, it doesn't matter who is in it because, like all remakes, the fans of the original are going to complain either way.
No complaining here. I'm looking forward to the remake, and I'm a huge fan.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
Personally speaking it's only Dudley Moore and John Gielgud's performances that make Arthur watchable. Take those performances out and all you have left is a tepid romcom.

Nice to have it on BD as I never did get around to buying it on DVD. Probably should do it as one of the Double Feature BD's cause I can't see me ever forking over money for Arthur 2 on it's own.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
What does Warner have against Liza Minnelli anyway? P&S Arthur, nonanamorphic and dismal Cabaret...and no indications they'll ever fix these hideous blots on their record.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Had this on Video tape and loved it, actually I would buy it on Blue Ray if it were value priced.

That being said I think using Russell Brand as a new Arthur is a bad mistake, I've never seen RB have any sort of sadness in his acting, no regret, something that Dudley Moore had along with his comic timing. Do I think RB can pull off the comedy SURE, but not the drama.

Brent

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I agree with Paul - the remake next year will provide an opportunity to give us a decent Blu-ray of this movie. I love the original, and have no need to see it redone, as much as I admire the work of Helen Mirren. I look forward to a good HD transfer of the picture - I can't think the soundtrack will be much more than dialogue in the front channels and music in the surrounds. I'm not sure if there can be much in the way of extras here, given that Steve Gordon died in 1982, and both Moore and Gielgud have been gone for the past 10 years. I suppose there could be a retrospective commentary with a film critic like Richard Schickel, but unless there's some kind of big box of on-set footage or deleted scene material, I think just a decent HD transfer of the movie is, forgive the pun, "The Best That You Can Do"...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robin_B
Probably should do it as one of the Double Feature BD's cause I can't see me ever forking over money for Arthur 2 on it's own.

Yes. Arthur 2: On the Rocks was almost as entertaining as the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks