What do you think, is there a chance for Arthur(1981)?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Bryan^H, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Ok, so far we have a bare bones version of Artur on dvd. It isn't even widescreen!!!

Early next year the remake of Arthur hits theaters. Most studios(Including WB) usually release the film that spawns the remake in a better version on Blu-Ray, and dvd.

I'm crossing my fingers for an anamorphic widescreen release of Arthur with special features, and lossless audio on Blu-Ray. If not I'll settle for a spruced up special edition on dvd.

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Warner has had this remastered and ready to go since '06 (you can check their comments about it in one of the chat transcripts). I've been wondering what they were waiting for- didn't realize there was a remake coming.That solves that mystery. I would say a Bd release is a given for next year now (it would also be the 30th anniversary anyway).

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    There's a remake? Who are the principals?

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I had heard that Russell Brand, Jennifer Garner and Helen Mirren were in it. That being said, it doesn't matter who is in it because, like all remakes, the fans of the original are going to complain either way.

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

No complaining here. I'm looking forward to the remake, and I'm a huge fan.

6. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Helen Mirren in anything automatically makes it something I want to see, so while I quite enjoyed the original, I will not complain about the new one.

7. Robin_B

Robin_B Stunt Coordinator

Personally speaking it's only Dudley Moore and John Gielgud's performances that make Arthur watchable. Take those performances out and all you have left is a tepid romcom.

Nice to have it on BD as I never did get around to buying it on DVD. Probably should do it as one of the Double Feature BD's cause I can't see me ever forking over money for Arthur 2 on it's own.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

What does Warner have against Liza Minnelli anyway? P&S Arthur, nonanamorphic and dismal Cabaret...and no indications they'll ever fix these hideous blots on their record.

9. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Had this on Video tape and loved it, actually I would buy it on Blue Ray if it were value priced.

That being said I think using Russell Brand as a new Arthur is a bad mistake, I've never seen RB have any sort of sadness in his acting, no regret, something that Dudley Moore had along with his comic timing. Do I think RB can pull off the comedy SURE, but not the drama.

Brent

10. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

I agree with Paul - the remake next year will provide an opportunity to give us a decent Blu-ray of this movie. I love the original, and have no need to see it redone, as much as I admire the work of Helen Mirren. I look forward to a good HD transfer of the picture - I can't think the soundtrack will be much more than dialogue in the front channels and music in the surrounds. I'm not sure if there can be much in the way of extras here, given that Steve Gordon died in 1982, and both Moore and Gielgud have been gone for the past 10 years. I suppose there could be a retrospective commentary with a film critic like Richard Schickel, but unless there's some kind of big box of on-set footage or deleted scene material, I think just a decent HD transfer of the movie is, forgive the pun, "The Best That You Can Do"...

11. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Yes. Arthur 2: On the Rocks was almost as entertaining as the original.