What's new

What do you think, can I buy a plug-in electric car in 5 years? (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Ken Chan said:
Something wrong with the math there....
0.04149% maybe? Despite the mistake, it's still an awfully small percentage.
241 million vehicles? Ouch! That's two cars for every three people in the USA including those who don't drive!
As for power outlets in buildings, I believe the Tesla Roadster comes with a fast 220 volt charging station for home charging, along with a separate power cord equipped with a standard North American plug for on-the-road charging. Of course, you still have to wait hours for the batteries to be charged. And if you're on the road, that could be a problem. Electricity is still not as convenient as typical liquid fuels which can be added to a vehicle in a matter of minutes.

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Bob Lutz says you could charge a GM electric car with your Hummer if you like. Now that is progress.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Israel is actually signed up to do a nationwide "test" of electric cars complete with recharging stations, battery swap centers, etc. The technology is already here, we just need to embrace it.
That said, it will be the oil companies that will ultimately be the strongest force to butt heads with. I saw that Who killed the Electric car? film. GM had a terribly good product, it just so happens that oil companies have more power to influence the state of mind of politicians and people alike. But I think with all these things happening right now, we may yet just skip over them like they're not even there.
Imagine if the EV-1, the Ford Ranger electric, the RAV 4 electric were fully accepted, I bet we would have a bunch of other electric vehicles around to choose from...and we probably won't have this climate problem.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Eric Samonte said:
I bet we would have a bunch of other electric vehicles around to choose from...and we probably won't have this climate problem.
Well some scientists argue that the ozone erosion we're enjoying now is the long term effect of what we did 1890-1950. Even if we stopped driving today it could be decades before everything we've pumped into the atmosphere is fully felt on the ground.
Or we could get hit by taxis tomorrow. I'm not losing sleep over the 'global warming' issue, which has made my neck of the woods 'cold & wet' for the last few years (although it gives NYC that Seattle charm I suppose).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Eric Samonte said:
That said, it will be the oil companies that will ultimately be the strongest force to butt heads with. I saw that Who killed the Electric car? film. GM had a terribly good product, it just so happens that oil companies have more power to influence the state of mind of politicians and people alike.
I would take the information you gleaned from viewing that "documentary" with a huuuuuge grain of salt if I were you.;)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Well, I finally got my new 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid. So far it has been very cool to drive. With the navigation system display, it can also show you a graph of your mileage the last 30 min of driving. I swear, just by having that graph there I am really trying to squeeze every bit out of the hybrid system. It tends to make me a slower/safer driver. I dont jackrabbit start (because I want to keep it on electric mode as long as possible) and I dont zip up to stop lights and then brake (because I want to gradually brake and use the system to regenerate as much juice as I can) and I try and keep my speed even.
I know it sounds goofy, but the fact that the car gives you a readout of "Excellent!" on one of the displays if your milage is good just drives me to achieve better mileage!
Best so far on my commute home has been 5.5L/100Km (which is about 43 mpg) which is pretty darn good for a full sized sedan!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Scott McGillivray said:
Well, I finally got my new 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid. So far it has been very cool to drive. With the navigation system display, it can also show you a graph of your mileage the last 30 min of driving. I swear, just by having that graph there I am really trying to squeeze every bit out of the hybrid system. It tends to make me a slower/safer driver.
Just don't be too conservative -- coasting at 45mph on the highway and waiting for 10 minutes to make the perfect left turn -- and cause hybrid rage!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Been doing that for years before Hybrids even became popular...
Especially on my bike, makes the track stand a little less long...

jay

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My dad's averaging 45 mpg (US) on his 05 Prius, and does not drive any differently than he ever has, which could hardly be described as conservatively.

I've seen a couple of the Zap things around here, but only 2--they don't have AC which is an absolute necessity in a city where the temp rises to well over 95 deg F from mid-may to mid-October.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I fear it will have a two year pre-order queue.Priced like every a hybrid Accord, Altima, or Camry, it's affordable-ish. 200 mile range, enough for all but the worst urban commuters, and good for weekend day trips. And it hopefully has many of the little touches and bells and whistles that make Tesla so futuristic. This could be huge.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I agree, but #4,5,6 are important features to me. Especially 6. My current car is Blue, and I feel it's a superior color for a superior car. #10 worries me. Glove compartments are just purgatory for unwanted single gloves and insurance cards from 2007.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks