What's new

What do you shoot? (1 Viewer)

Zembonez

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
What kind of digital camera are you using?

I currently have a Nikon D80 w/18-135mm, Olympus C-8080WZ, and a Canon A560 P&S that I carry in my laptop case everywhere.

Anybody else in here a photo nut? Casual or otherwise.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Right now I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, EF-S 10-22mm, EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS and EF 50mm f/1.8 lenses.

I plan on upgrading to the Canon 40D very soon. I'm just waiting to see if Canon announces a rebate in the U.S. -- they've already announced rebates for Europe and Canada.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I shoot a Canon 20D and a Nikon D300. I was somewhat underwhelmed with the upgrade the 30D brought and was pretty stoked about the 40D until A. I held it in my hands and it just didnt feel right to me and B. the D300 was announced. I have both Nikon and Canon glass from the film age so had the luxury of giving the D300 a shot and am very happy with it so far. Both are amazing cams but you gotta try em both out and see which one works for you. I'm still hoping for a 5D replacement that blows em both away and which lets me use my canon Ls at their native full frame imaging area.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hehheh...

Did you actually mean "photo nut" or gear head? ;) :D

When you asked what we "shoot" (in the subject title), I thought you were gonna ask about the kinds of photos, not the gear. Just wait til John Rice drops by again. ;) :laugh:

Anyway, I guess I mostly shoot street photography (and whatever variants of it) as that's what interests me most (as a "shooter"). And partly because of my interests, I went w/ the Nikon system when the D70 was introduced a few years back -- and now, I use the D200 since its introduction (though I still have the old D70). I tend to use mainly Nikkor prime lenses in the normal-to-short-tele focal length ranges (after accounting for APS crop anyway), but I do also use a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and Nikkor 180 f/2.8 on the longer end and the Nikkor 18-70 DX (mainly for wide angle) and Sigma 20 f/1.8. Occasionally, I also use Nikon's SB800 speedlight for events and such. Hate lugging pods (and don't really have as much use for them for street photography anyway), but I have a set of affordable carbon fiber legs from Fiesol -- have a basic Bogen tilt/swivel head w/ QR, and still need to go pick up a decent ballhead (probably the Giottos 3000 w/ same QR as the Bogen head).

Had been debating about some lens upgrades/additions and such, but have put all those on hold since various other things (like the violin :D) have taken priority lately.

No plans to upgrade the camera body for the forseeable future although the D300's AF system looks very nice. Probably won't upgrade again until Nikon's semi-pro line up goes full frame.

For something compact, I occasionally use my wife's Fuji F20 for snaps, but I generally lug my DSLR (w/ a couple lenses or three) just about everywhere. :D

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

That was my initial thought when I saw the thread title, too. To play along with Man's response, my main subjects of interest are landscapes and wildlife. I do use my dSLR setup for family events, too, but those "people" shots are more like family album snapshots than serious photography. I'm much better at composing landscapes than capturing quality images of people. It's a skill I need to work on.

I'm not too fond of tripods, either, but I do need to add a better one to my kit when I finally get a better quality long lens (something in the 400-500mm range) for wildlife shooting. Right now I have an inexpensive (less than $100) Manfrotto that works okay, but can be cumbersome to pan and follow wildlife. It showed its limitations last summer in Yellowstone.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I thought the same thing! I mainly shoot my family, my town and do lots of Thomas Hawk style Photowalks, tho lately I've been shooting the moon and havent even played a single round of spades!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I usually only try to shoot the moon when I play Bridge (and of course, it rarely works out, but I guess that's not too different than using a 200mm lens ;) :laugh:). Haven't played much Bridge in a looooong time though. :P

_Man_

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I'm using a Nikon Coolpix 5000 that's six years old, mostly for architectural photos and neon signs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

:D

_Man_

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My interest has always been people, captured candidly or in the photojournalist "style" but I do like portraits too. The latter is more of a challenge since there are things about it that don't come naturally to me - giving direction, constant feedback, etc. If my inherent nature had its way I would also be shooting with a telephoto from far, far away all the time, but I've learned that my shyness is something that needs to be set aside if I want to get the kinds of images I want. Photography is challenging technically and artistically, but I've also discovered it can be a great challenge on a personal level.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm of the guerilla-style photo-taking of cos-players and celebs. I like candid photos better than the composed "we were there" shots that people usually ask me to take on a moment's notice.

dreamygirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Micheal C
Currently i am using Sony Alpha (10.20 Megapixels).
I usually not make use of it.But occasionally i make use of it.
It is very interesting to me to shoot photos with it.I have very recently bought it.

johnathan

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Canon 30D with a 100-400L and 17-40L. I shoot mostly birds and love aviation photography. Johnathan

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Just picked up a Tokina 28-70 f2.8 for $200 on Craigslist. For those not wanting to spend the $1,600 on the Nikon equivalent, this lens is a steal. I'm sure the Nikon is superior in every way, but for this price, this lens is a great deal. All metal construction, very solid.

CJ

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm not familiar with the Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8, but have heard good things about the Tamron 28-70mm f/2.8 lens -- at least for Canon mounts. For $200, though, it's hard to go wrong, Christ.

BTW, I upgraded from the Canon Digital Rebel XT to a Canon 40D a couple of weeks ago. I had a chance to give the new camera a workout last week on vacation in Myrtle Beach. Here are a few photos with the new camera.

The 40D is quite a step up for me. The ergonomics are a major improvement over my old Rebel, as most of the commonly used functions can be directly accessed via their own buttons instead of through the menus. The auto focus system is improved, and I love the larger, brighter viewfinder. Spot metering is quite useful, too. I tried a few shots at ISO 3200 at an indoor reptile house, and was quite surprised how well they turned out. All photos were taken in RAW and converted to JPEG with Canon's Digital Photo Professional software. I adjusted white balance and exposure on a few shots when necessary.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Hey Scott!

I just upgraded to a 40D (had it for 2 days) from my XTi and would agree with you that it is easier to change functions and better in all ways than the XTi. It is pretty heavy but I use a neoprene strap which takes the weight off a bit. I love the new viewfinder but was a bit perturbed when I noticed graininess in the viewfinder along with a couple of dust spots. Turns out the graininess is normal and the dust spots are on the focusing screen not the sensor. Not worth the trouble of returning it for that.

I too shoot RAW and convert in DPP - mine came with version 3.3 which is a new upgrade not available for download on Canon website yet. Gives better NR control and has more lenses in the lens correction section.

Happy with it so far!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So to you 40d users, what settings do you have for C.fn IV? I'm so used to having the shutter release lock focus and exposure that it's taken me a bit to adjust to having the option of the AF-ON button. Using the "*" button for AE lock is a little easier since there was that button on the Digital Rebel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks