What's new

what do you recomand (1 Viewer)

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
unfortunately, we don't.

there's really not much worth buying new for HT under $300 for a system, meaning amplification, decoding and speakers.

if i had $300 and i wanted some decent sound, i'd read these posts for about a couple weeks as well as reviews elsewhere on the internet and then buy used from ebay or a local used dealer. you should be able to find an older used receiver and 2 speakers worth having for that. as you get more money you add more pieces - the extra speakers, sub, etc.

otherwise, you can probably find some sort of HTIB solution for about that price, but really, it will make huge compromises in sound quality. and then it won't be upgradable. it's jsut not worth the $$ IMO. if i had to have surround and it had to be everything for a low, low budget, i'd consider the logitech thx system (z-5500). it lists for $400 and will decode and play 5.1 DD and DTS from your computer or dvd's optical or digital out. it's widely available for less on the internet. here's one link. but it's really meant for a desktop system not a living room. i suppose if it's in a small room, it might be OK. but even that system has its power rated @ 10%THD (total harmonic distortion) which is audible, meaning if you push it that hard, you will hear the distortion.

i don't know... for $300, get a receiver (AVR). then when you save up another $300 bucks or so, get your front 3 speakers. then add a sub, then rears. the sub should be the most expensive single piece most likely. the rears can be skimped on.

probably not what you want to hear.

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
I agree 100% with these responses dudmleh. After I "jumped in" and purchased my speakers, AVR etc from local retailers I found this site and its wealth of advice. Online purchasing with internet products seems to present the most value.

Any number of good to great products for a very reasonable cost......and some junk so be careful. For instance if you could have jumped on the PSB Alpha B's recently sold out from Saturday Audio, you could have had a pair for $159 + shipping. These would have been a great front pair to start with and then you could have squeezed the remainder....and hopefully a few more $ into an entry level AVR and added the center speaker, stands, rears surrounds, and sub later. Then you could build a system that would be above average.

If you have no surround now then a "stereo" setup of an AVR and two speakers for the front will be a great improvement to start with. You could "ghost" the center at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks