What's new

What do you guys use to track your DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Mike Gariepy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
DVD Profiler for me. Why? Because even after all those other websites are bye-bye (DVDAF, Guzzlefish, etc...), a locally installed piece of software with my collection in it will always be available. Sure the DVD profiles are downloaded from a website, but they don't HAVE to be. Even if profiler dies or is down, I can still access and update my collection freely so long as I have the software installed.

EvanB

Stunt Coordinator
I sue Guzzlefish.com and DVD Cache, which is a very promising program for Mac OS X, check it out Mac users.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Okay... after reading through this thread I decided to try DVD Profiler again. (I currently use an Access database.)

After putting in a couple hundred DVDs (during a pretty boring Patriots game) I started fiddling with the report system and once again I'm stunned how lousy it is. Maybe I'm just dense, but the reporting seems to be focused on fancy graphics instead of good old basic report generation tools.

For example, though they now have the ability to sort by Genre, there doesn't seem to be a way to place subheads that ID each genre. And, there doesn't seem to be a way to easily separate your movies from your tv shows. (I would rather have the TV shows appear after all the movies, not after Suspense and before War.

Plus, there doesn't seem to be any good way to organize the miscellaneous DVDs such as short film collections.

Are there easy ways to do these things that I'm missing? It seems that anyone with a huge collection would need such things.

-greg

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It seems that anyone with a huge collection would need such things.
Actually, apparently not. I've been reading the feature suggestion forums for more than 10 months and no one has suggested anything like this. Make a post in the feature request forums.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Where is the feature suggestion forums? I think this is a perfect forum to discuss DVD tracking software:

Home > Entertainment and Media > Home Theater Software "All things DVD are discussed here..."

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
The feature suggestions forum on the DVD Profiler, site, that it.
I'm sorry. I thought "It seems that anyone with a huge collection would need such things." was referring to DVD tracking software in general. I didn't read the original post to see it referred to a "good way to organize the miscellaneous DVDs such as short film collections."

LewB

Screenwriter
DVD Profiler here too. I found a report on their web site that I like to use to make printouts of my collection. I have a 3 ring binder that I keep the hardcopy in. Makes it easier for folks to decide what they want to watch. Next thing to do is get a proper media shelf where I can keep the DVDs in the same order as in the book. That way someone can look in the book, say gime #23 and viola, I get disk 23 (cheaper than a DVD jukebox).

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Lew, you must entertain a lot. I have no problem locating my DVDs. I keep changing the arrangement, they are usually grouped by Director, with related one next to each other (Lucas next to Speilburg with Indiana jones as the transition between the two, Kevin Smith next to PT Anderson because of the whole Magnolia Fan thing with Kevin Smith)

Don't think this has been mentioned yet:

Another good reason for using any of this software to track your collection is for insurance purposes. I remember reading a month or two ago that someone's collection had been stolen in a burglary, and he was able to use his DVD Profiler list as the basis for what he had lost. Anything like that will always help when dealing with insurance companies, in the case of theft, fire, etc.

DVD Profiler all the way! :emoji_thumbsup:

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, I have also made my own script(in PHP) and DB and was wondering where you guys get your info from? Like some central know-all DB of movies. Right now I am having to enter whatever info I want manually, and boy it is a pain.

For anyone who want's to check it out, my page is at: http://pcdweebs.com/

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Are these cataloging tools database oriented?

Might one add their own attributes? Are there cataloging tools that would let me run my own SQL queries against the database? (custom SELECTS, with custom sorts, etc.)

DG

I have used DVD Profiler on my PC for past 3 years or more. But need something for the PDA to DVD shop. Anyone with a collection will make the dupe mistake. I use VideoList Plus on my Sony PDA. Which is a clean list program. One day DVD Profiler will get the message and have a PDA program too. As this is one of the main reason to have your collection listed.

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
I use DVDAF as DVD Profiler just wasn't doing the job as it is pretty lousy and messy. Not to mention the database is pretty messy with lots of bad information. DVDAF has nearly everything for my needs except disc info. And even that I would only need some basic things like aspect ratio, enhanced for 16:9. Plus I agree with their new DVD counting system. I probably should brainstorm for a minute to come up with some useful features.

I liked them enough that I donated some money to them, which is what the 3 stars next to the nickname is for. I like stars, I really do.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
I use DVDAF and guzzlefish. I like guzzlefish better but they need to add Indiana Jones!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks