What's new

What do you guys think of the Eclipse drivers? (1.75" xmax one-way) (1 Viewer)

Scott Parker

Agent
There's this girl at work wanting to spend around $350 on a sub and she was thinking about the polk momo's. I was like I can get you something way better for the same price, and I immediately thought of the Brahma line. But then I started looking around to make sure that was the best. Then I came to these Eclipse drivers. The model number that boasts 1.75" one-way (44.5mm) is the 88150TIDVC. I was just wondering if this was legit. But now that the Tumult is coming out maybe I"ll tell her to wait for one of those.

Well, that is the Xmech (maximum suspension travel) not the linear Xmax. This is a car audio misleading specsmanship thing, unfortunately. The eclipse titaniums are made by TC Sounds and are very good subs but have a Xmax in the low 20 mm area, IIRC. The HE15 sold by stryke audio is nearly identical. Anyway, I would either get one of the new AV series subs John is selling, or grab the new adire woofer (though it is a lot more money). The new styke AV series woofer will be as good as the Eclipse Ti and his HE15 woofer, it just needs a bit larger box.

-Chris

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
The 88 seriers Alum is a nice driver and for HT I think you might be better off with that than the 88-Ti.

The FS is much lower in the Alum than the Ti but as the other have noted, the AV and Tumlit would be a better buy for performance per dollar.
Unless of coure you can get a steal on the Eclipse Alum or Ti somewhere.

They claim "clean x-max" of 1.17 on the Alum and 1.75" with the Ti.
Thier claim!

They are very nice drivers but pricey & heavy, 40-50lbs..... Available in both dvc and svc... in the Ti and Alum.

Read about some QC issue in the begining release of these drivers though I don't know if this still holds true.

Well, believe what you want, but they do not have 44.5 mm of one way Xmax. They do have 3.5" of p-p suspension travel though. Ask John J. or call up TC sounds and they'll let you know.

Edit: Sorry Geoff, this sounds a little combative when it really shouldn't have been. Anyway, happy listening...

-Chris

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Chris

I don't know if your speaking to me, but as I stated it's "their claim" of linear x-max.

I don't belive the 3.5"X-max (ti) either and have never seen any Dumax info on them. I agree with your statement of 20 to 24mm linear travel one way, not 40+!

They are nice sounding drivers as I have listend to one (8815 Alum) sealed in a 1.2ft^3 custom encloser (1"MDF) in a PT-Crusier. Tight, deep, clean, and likes the power. He was driving it with an Xtant 1000? something amp. I belive thats the amps model#.

Very nice SQ and certainly sweet looking, but also pretty pricey.

Regards
Geoff

George Martin

Stunt Coordinator
here is the eclipse site we use in the install bay when we need to know somthing about Eclipse productsLink Removed its slow loading but has some valuable info.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Scott,

The Eclipse Ti 15" that you're speaking of has a DUMAX verified Xmax of from 17-22.85mm depending on which sample you look at. As was stated, it is very similar to our HE15 woofer. We use an aluminum cone instead of Ti. The magnet stack was made deeper to make it impossible to hit the VC former on the back plate. Other than that, not a whole lot of difference. Xmax on the HE15 is 22.85mm. They both have 3.5" peak to peak suspension travel, or 1.75" one way. That is the limit of the suspension though, and not the DUMAX Xmax.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks