What's new

What do you guys think about the actor - Robert Carlyle? (1 Viewer)

Imbi

Agent
What do people here think about this fine actor(imo), who often is under-rated or under-used(depending on an occasion, for example the James Bond film).
I saw him first in an episode of "Cracker", I think, as a killer motivated by the Hillborough soccer riot. Equally great as a good guy or bad guy, and has a wide range. My favorite performance - Carlyle being bestial and dignified in Ravenous.
As Begbie in Trainspotting, he was hilariously uncontrollable and anarchic.
I also enjoyed Antonia Bird's Priest and Face. Robert Carlyle and Tom Wilkinson were superb in both these films.
No one ever seemes to talk about him, so i'm wondering if i'm the only one who thinks he's a great actor, and if there are others, what do you guys think has been his best perfomance?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
ive only seen him in trainspotting, and i think he did a pretty good job. none of my friends can understand him in the movie, and the criterion laserdisc version is no help, as it has the original scottish dub, not the american one. i'm lucky my mom is scottish, i can understand everything begbie says in the movie :) . other than that, i havent seen him in anything. the full monty isnt exactly on the top of my 'movies to see' list.
CJ

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
He's good. Put him in an off-beat and stylish role and he can be very good. I wish he would do more dramatic stuff but if he sticks to the high-tempered and manic, I won't be displeased.

Bruce

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
He's pretty entertaining as an actor. He certainly has a screen presence at the very least, which makes him great for character actor work.

Trainspotting is in my personal top 10 films list, so appreciation for him in that film goes without saying.

He was pleasantly charming in Full Monty, though as a feel good film it kept his range limited. Ravenous was a solid role for him which I really did like. TWINE (Bond) could have been a better role for him had the film around him been better.

I can't really remember his roles in The Beach and Being Human (only vaguely).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks