What's new

What do you call it - pop, soda, or soda-pop? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They're only made properly in the Philly/New York corridor, because of a lack of decent Italian rolls(the most important part) and ingredients elsewhere.
Even the Simpsons knows they're Hoagies! :)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
People I know always use the products name. This prevents product-brand brainwashing arguements (One friend refuses to drink a Pepsi-Company product till he dies). But other people around here call it soda.

Actual conversation: Setting, My apartment.

Guy: Got any Pop?

Me: Huh?

Guy: Pop?

Me: What'd you break?

Guy: No! Pop, Have you got any?

Me: Oh! Weed!, Yeah, It's up above the fridge.

Guy: No! Pop, as in a drink, Like Mr.Pibb.

Me: Mr.Pibb? Where the F*ck are you from?

Guy: Augusta Georgia

Me: Figures. No, we don't have any Meester Pibb. But grab me a Coke while your at the fridge.

It was well over a week later I figured out what he was trying to say. Next time I see him I'll apologise or something I guess.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
It's also fun telling people about "cheese curds" and "Friday fish fries" and all that.

In northern NY "Curd" is both the singular and the plural for tasty forms of this probably-unhealthy dairy snack. Why don't you fry fish on tuesdays? and if anybody ever said "Bubbler" around here I'd prolly spray my drink out my nose in oddly-contained laughter. Mostly because it sounds like a bad oral-sex experience.

Allen W

Stunt Coordinator
Even though I live about a mile from the old Dr. Pepper Headquarters it all called "coke". That is until you actually get to the refrigerator and then you have to specify which kind you want, Coke, Dr. Pepper etc.

In Dublin, TX you can still get Dr. Pepper made with pure cane sugar rather than the corn syrup mix all the makers use now. It tastes really good.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Why don't you fry fish on tuesdays?
If that's a serious question, then... I really don't know. lol. Of course places fry fish on other days, but pretty much anywhere you go on a Friday the main thing on the menu will be fried fish. And then when churches and places sell food for fund-raising, they'll usually do a Friday Fish Fry. Maybe being close to the Lakes means easily-accessible fish.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
It MUST be referred to as ...... A Cool Refreshing Carbonated Beverage. :)
"Have a potato....."
"And a cool refreshing beverage." -- Ernest Thesiger

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Of course places fry fish on other days, but pretty much anywhere you go on a Friday the main thing on the menu will be fried fish. And then when churches and places sell food for fund-raising, they'll usually do a Friday Fish Fry. Maybe being close to the Lakes means easily-accessible fish.

It must be a question of location. Fish isn't in big supply around here so all the Church's and Fire Departments barbeque chicken for fund-raising purposes. But then again it's not always on Friday, usually Sundays really.

Just one of those weird discrepencies that happen in differant regions. Kinda reminds me of Jule's take on "The little differences" between Europe and America.

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
Here in NM, most people just call it "coke". I, on the other hand, will probably use any one of the other terms (soda, pop, or soda-pop).

nothing frustrates me more than to have someone ask me if I want a "coke" only to hand me something that isn't. (Restaurants are a different story)

Anne M

Agent
Down here in southern Louisiana, we call them soft drinks. Although, "coke" is used very often as well.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Of course places fry fish on other days, but pretty much anywhere you go on a Friday the main thing on the menu will be fried fish. And then when churches and places sell food for fund-raising, they'll usually do a Friday Fish Fry.
Traditional Christian custom forbids eating red meat on Fridays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks