What's new

What do those little silica packets do? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Marianne said:
Just don't get them wet or feed them after midnight!
That's probably what happened on Mars. After they destroyed the planet, they reverted to their benign, natural state.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Malcolm R said:
Well that explains the spilled glass of water and little scratch marks I found on the bottom of the theater door this morning. Do you think they are responsible for my ground loop issue?

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
It's good to know that I can now add a 3rd thing to my list of things that are gauranteed.

Death

Taxes

Silica Thread on the HTF

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Check out this story about silica...
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/..._sponge28.html
Researchers didn't even think the oxymoronic structures -- sponges made of glass that form reefs -- even existed anymore. Captured in the fossil record, they were thought until fairly recently to have gone extinct 100 million years ago. They were supposed to have been squeezed out by the arrival of microscopic marine algae that began gobbling up the glassy silica the sponges need to build their skeletons.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In your scientific quest to determine the uses of silica, I figured you fellas would want this new piece of evidence:
htf_imgcache_13543.jpeg

htf_imgcache_13544.jpeg

:D From the back inside cover of the 8-31-07 Entertainment Weekly.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Don't believe everything you read. Everyone knows Silica absorbs water (and salsa). You can't have silica anywhere near bottled water.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So are you hypothesizing that a square bottle creates an energy field that disrupts Silica's ability to absorb water?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's just another reason why bottled water is a scam. :) Tap only for me please, thanks.
In regards to silica.. we buy commercial fireworks for show in the summer, and surprisingly, I now have very, very large bags of silica that were in the crates. I'm talking like 3 or 4 cups worth.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
For those who celebrate the August moon and eat Moon Cakes this time of year, be aware that many individually packed moon cakes (from Hong Kong) are shipped here to the US of A in individually wrapped plastic containing....you guessed it, a little bag of silica gel. :)
I know I was anxiously awaiting to open the little packages of joy, to get at the silica gel packs...
Jay

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Chris said:
It's just another reason why bottled water is a scam. :) Tap only for me please, thanks.
In regards to silica.. we buy commercial fireworks for show in the summer, and surprisingly, I now have very, very large bags of silica that were in the crates. I'm talking like 3 or 4 cups worth.
Wow, you could repackage them into much smaller bags and then sell them. You could make a fortune!

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
How is it possible that this thread could go almost a year without a silica post? I'm shocked and dismayed.

Fancy fun tidbit o' knowledge:

lavas with higher silica content are more viscous

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kraig Lang said:
lavas with higher silica content are more viscous
Llamas with higher silica content are more vicious. :D
Someone forgot to put the silica pack in the package of bacon bits I purchased recently. I think I should get a refund. ;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Speaking of silica, I got another packet yesterday in the little drybag I bought for my new PnS digital camera. I squirreled the packet away for a rainy day so I can keep the world dry!

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.