What's new

What do those little silica packets do? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have a question that is off-topic and probably deserves it's own thread, but I'll ask it anyway.

I have small box I'd like to keep moisture out of. Is there anything I could use that would absorb the moisture? I know this is probably a pipe dream, but it would be great if someone made some kind of packet that would do this.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Bryan, I think there is a product out there that can do the trick for you, just don't use salsa at the same time. I've heard it can be dangerous...

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
I remember reading a thread about that somewhere on this forum. You might do search for "silica or salsa" and turn up something. :D Also, never, ever, throw these packets into lakes or waterways.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
[Yoda Voice] Absorb moisture, they do. [/Yoda Voice]
They also make for great pie-filling... mmmm.... silica pie... :D
Moe.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This is great. As a joke, I threw one of those little packets in my friends swimming pool. Won't he be surprised when he gets home from work and his pool is empty!

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Bryan, I did that once, you have to use 2 packets. Using one only absorbs half the pool. Better hurry up and get a new hard drive!!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
So, instead of buying a new dehumidifier for my basement... I should have been saving all these little packets? Crap.

Where does the silica put the moisture? Are they some sort of gateway to a moisture-laden other world?

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Where does the silica put the moisture? Are they some sort of gateway to a moisture-laden other world?
You have to send the saturated silica packets to Arizona. The dry heat releases all the moisture. Once released, they're recycled and ready for packaging with new orders for hard drives.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
To clear up any misconceptions, they are a dessicant. They have no established relationship with condiments. They are not poisonous, but may present a choking hazard, especially if used in place of tortilla chips.

Hope this helps.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Re: My previous post-Sorry, it's just my dry sense of humor. I really must stop saving these silica packets.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Clarification: They will adsorb a fair amount of seltzer. Perhaps that was a source of confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.