What do modern receivers do with DTS HD-MA 2.0?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Todd Stout, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I have a 1999/2000 vintage Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver (looking to upgrade soon however) and recently popped in a Blu-ray disc with a DTS HD Master Audio 2.0 soundtrack (it was Honeymoon in Vegas). My receiver recognized the DTS codec but the audio was only coming out of the left and right speakers. I had assumed the receiver would treat this like a Dolby Digital 2.0 soundtrack and decode a matrixed surround track using the Dolby Pro-Logic decoder but apparently not.

What do mondern receivers do with DTS HD-MA 2.0? Can they decode the Dolby Stereo tracks from older movies that only have DTS 2.0 audio?

2. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I've got the "Honeymoon in Vegas" Blu-ray and my Sony hi-def receiver switches to pro-logic with this and other DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 soundtracks.

It also occurs to me that you could probably get your older receiver to kick into pro-logic, if you temporarily set your Blu-ray player to output DTS as PCM rather than bitstream.

3. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens. What I was thinking about doing is running the analog line level L & R audio signal from the Blu-ray player to one of the unsused analog audio inputs on the receiver which should probably accomplish what I'm after.

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a new Onkyo and I'm curious how those handle DTS HD-MA 2.0.

4. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I just got the onkyo 270 and it can decode the DTS 2.0

I have it set to thx so then it can read the 2.0 as 7.1

Jacob

5. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I recently purchased a new Onkyo TX-NR3008 and set it up this past weekend in a 5.1 channel configuration. One of the first things I did was grab my Honeymoon In Vegas Blu-ray disc to see what my new toy would do with it. I set the surround mode to Dolby Pro-Logic II and the receiver decoded the surround track just like any other 2 channel source. Mystery solved!

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

As I mentioned in the "Secret of NIMH" thread, my Pioneer which I bought last year won't matrix-decode any DTS-HD tracks, and I just got a Blu-Ray with a 2-channel DTS-HD track which should be played in Pro-Logic. Wonder if they'll have a firmware upgrade to enable this? If not, they should just use PCM for 2-channel tracks.

7. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Before I bought my TX-NR3008, I was going to run an analog RCA cable for left and right line level audio from my Blu-ray player to the unused CD input on my old TX-DS777. That way I could switch over to the CD input and have the audio decoded in Pro-Logic surround when playing the discs that I have in DTS-HD MA 2.0. I never actually tried it but I assume that would work.