What's new

what do I suggest for my folks - 13'x13', 80% CATV, 20% DVD/VHS (1 Viewer)

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
New contruction. This 13 foot by 13 foot room is going to be their primary TV watching room & also serve as their home office (i.e.; small desk & PC area). Due to the size of the room, they very much want some sort of flat panel, altho a ceiling mounted projector and screen would work space wise. As above, I estimate they'll be watching CATV (and we're NOT talking about the premium channels) broadcasts probably 80% of the time and maybe 20% of the time will be video tapes and DVD's.

First, are any of the flat panel displays available in a 4:3 format? Non-premium CATV stations generally don't broadcast in 16:9 & I don't want to listen to my parents complaining about the bars to either side. :b

With a two pairs of aging eyes (they are both nearsighted and wear glasses and are approaching the 70 mark), how large a display would be recommended? 30"? 32"? 42"? Also do any flat panel displays include speakers (they're not interested in surround sound :eek: )?

What about an FP/screen set up? Might this be a more affordable option? I know 42" plasma's run around $5000 and they really don't want to break the bank.

Trying to figure out what to recommend now so they know what to have wired and where to have the wires run.

Thanks,

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If I watched 80% cable, I would be very concerned about bug burn-in on a Plasma...especially if I had favorite channels that I watched a lot.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Michael,

Well, isn't bug burn in a risk with any technology? I've got to worry about it on my CRT based RPTV, computer LCD's have had to worry about it for years, so I suspect LCD TV's are also at risk. And from what I've read, it's also a risk with most types of FP too.

I terms of flat panel displays ... the only choices I can give my folks are plasma or LCD, right?

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
why not a 36 inch Toshiba or Sony direct view. no worry with burn in. nice big size for the room. probably get itforwell under $2000

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Considering they're pushing 70 and aren't home theater enthusiasts I'd get them an entry level RPTV. Why bother with a $5000 plasma when they won't appreciate it any more than an $899 RPTV? That would be like getting me, a man who's never paid more than $50 for an article of clothing a Brooks Brothers suit. My grandparents have a big cheap RPTV with no surround sound, but if they were to get an HDTV hooked to the biggest baddest soundsystem on the market they would complain about there being too many buttons on the remote.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I kind of agree with Carl. An RPTV in the 40-inch range is only about 15" deep, and has speakers.

I also suspect that a calibrated Plasma set does burn-in more than a calibrated RPTV, but there is no empirical published data on this yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks