What do I need for HDTV with DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bernie_A, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

Man, do I have a lot of questions......I have a HD ready TV. I know I need the DirecTV upgraded HD satalite box to recieve HDTV but is that it? Do I also need a converter box for the TV or is the HD Satalite box all I need and that's it? I am confused?

2. LexusN

LexusN Agent

you will also need 3LNB oval dish inorder to pick up HD channels...

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moving this to Audio/Video Sources and changing the title, so that you have a better chance of getting input from other DirecTV experts.

M.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

All you need is a different DirecTV receiver (I assume from your post that you already have DirecTV) and probably a different dish (unless you already have the elliptical one).

But wait—there is more. DirecTV does not offer HD local stations, so you will probably also need an antenna to get HD locals—this assumes that you live in an area where your local stations have HD channels.

Right now you can upgrade to HD for about $350 or so. DirecTV is offering the elliptical dish, an HD receiver and installation as a package—you have to sign up for another year of service. And you can getthe package plus an antenna plus installation for about $450.

The receiver is the Samsung (T160) or the new Hughes (I can’t remember the model number—but it is not the old E80)—I’d check out my local conditions before agreeing to the antenna—but otherwise this is a pretty good deal.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    A lot of people are getting the Winegard "Square Shooter" antenna. The antenna experts have concluded that this antenna has less gain than the $15 Radio Shack Double Bow Tie.

-Robert

6. WallyBal

WallyBal Extra

Hi

I can't put a dish up. I live in a apartment house.
    I have cable. Do I need digital cable to get HDTV?
    I'm getting ready to buy a new TV. (about time)

Walt

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks [​IMG]

7. John S

John S Producer

You would have to call your cable company, as regionally the HD Cable offerings can be quite different.

Here in the Denver area you get Digital Cable with an HD Cable box as I understand it.

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I have Comcast High def cable here in south Jersey (Cherry Hill area). All you need is a HD ready tv and a high def digital cable box. Locals in high def are included.

9. WallyBal

WallyBal Extra

Thanks John

I'm within 25 miles of Manhattan. I guess the cable company
    can handle the questions ok. I'll call them

10. WallyBal

WallyBal Extra

Thanks Chip

Do I have to rent the "box" from the cable company?
    Or can I buy my own.

11. Dave Mark

Dave Mark Stunt Coordinator

In regards to the antenna question, what would people recommend? I live in an area where I have tried to use a Jensen amplified indoor antenna which was about $40(townhouse, serious outdoor antenna not an option) with fairly poor results for non-HD TV. I too am considering the cable vs. DirecTV debate for HD. Does the Terk or another option work fairly well or should I try another indoor antenna for non-HD? I assume if an antenna works well for non-HD reception, it will work well for HD.

12. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Most of the time, yes. Not always. Most of your non-HD will probably be VHF while most (maybe all) of your HD will be UHF. Second is ghosting on the SD channels. Ghosting is caused by multi-path signals. HD doesn't ghost, you just get a strong signal but no picure. It is caused by large objects (buildings, towers, etc.) near you antenna that cause the signal to bounce around and your antenna will pick up the main signal and the reflected ones.

-Robert

13. Bernie_A

Hell, I have DirecTV and DirecWay Satellite internet service.....I should get the upgrade for free considering how much I have spent with them [​IMG]

Thanks for the leads....I will be calling for an upgrade [​IMG]

14. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Depending on the DirecWay dish, you may only need an adapter that holds 3 LNBs instead of the multi-sat dish. The only problem is you have to know which DirecWay satellite you are pointed at to determine whether or not the adapter will work. Your average installer will be clueless.

-Robert

15. Bernie_A

That's interesting because the DirecWay internet sattelite dish is elliptical .....and big!!! Really big compared to the standard DirecTV dish. I wonder if it's the same dish for HD.

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

No, the HD dish is considerably smaller.

17. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

You rent the HD cable box. They aren't for sale as of now. At least with Comcast they aren't.

18. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

To my knowledge(I work in this industry), nobody sells cable boxes for HD. They are all rented.

19. WallyBal

WallyBal Extra

ok

Thanks guys