What's new

What did you buy with your first paycheck? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just a lighthearted thread. If you can remember, what did you buy with the first money you earned (as opposed to, say, an allowance)? Mine was a Bread Greatest Hits CD and a dial-up modem. :eek:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Call me a geek, but I was 13 or 14 and really into "The Carpenters" at the time, pretty sure it was one of their albums.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, the first money I earned was mowing lawns around 1969. My first music purchase would have been a 45. It could have been the Beatles, Come Together or Sugar, Sugar by The Archies. Or maybe something by The Grass Roots, Guess Who or even Snoopy vs. The Red Barron by who knows. Hard to say, it was so long ago. I know the first album I bought was Chicago Transit Authority as a birthday gift for my brother. It was a double album so cost around $3.98. I had to collect a bunch of pop bottles and take them back to the store to help cover the cost. My first actual paycheck would have come from working at a candle shop at the local mall as a stock boy. $1.65 an hour didn't go very far back then either. I'm pretty sure my first album bought for myself was Days Of Future Passed-Moody Blues. A Laser disc or dial-up modem? Not in my time. A cheap Japanese transister radio, maybe. :)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I bought an Atari game console. It was early 1979, and I was 14....It was actually several paychecks saved from my very first job at a local stationary store, where I worked 2 days a week after school and on weekends stocking shelves and cleaning floors.

About a week later I was fired because I forgot to go to work....I was too busy playing Combat.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I got back from basic training (Ft. Knox) and I bought me a CD player. I believe it was a ADC model or some such thing. I remember the salesman at Silo whom I had purchased stuff from before (and being some what knowledgeable) told me it was built like a tank and it was made by Nakamichi(spelling?) I had that CD player for like 15 years and donated it to the local humane society. I decided that I wanted a 5 disk player. I still miss that CD player..

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Early 80s. If mowing lawns counts, I probably spent it on snack food, some gas for my dirt bike or maybe a computer game for my C64 or Atari 2600. First real job in mid to late 80s, working in a large hotel that was about to open and quitting on opening day (heh heh). Very small check for the amount of crap they had me doing. Probably used it for gas and fast food. First radio job 1988, weekends... gas and definitely pizza delivered from a nearby Village Pizza place. Good times!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Phil, I'm pretty sure I had one of those ADC players...if I remember correctly it was just a very plain black casing with a tiny display that showed track number and time remaining/played on the disc and nothing else....it lasted for years and years. Longer than what I replaced it with which I think was an Onkyo.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah that's the one! I missed the simplicity of it and it just worked and never stopped working. Edit: Oh yeah, I bought and Onkyo too! LOL Mine is a 6 disk changer.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Wow! Talk about trying to think back that far, which in my case would have been about 1960 in Anoka, MN (aka Lake Wobegon). As best I can recall, I bought a Chad Mitchell Trio album, and joined the Literary Guild. Wild and wacky I wasn't ...

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
My first paycheck was in 1981 when I was 15 and I paid to put cable in the house. My folks refused to pay for it and said if I wanted it I would have to pay. Thing is, they watched it just as much as me. Leechers! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks