What's new

what color to paint wall behind screen? (1 Viewer)

vinjali

Auditioning
Real Name
ravi
I have a stewart firehawk screen and am wondering what color to paint the wall behind it.I remember seeing something somewhere about "silver screen" grey by Behr.Any help would be appreciated

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Behr "silver screen" is a special formula for DIY screens. Can you see through the screen? If not, it does not matter.

vinjali

Auditioning
Real Name
ravi
The screen is fairly dense,and so most of the projector's light will bounce off it,but I'm sure some will go through to the wall and may or may not be an issue.My room is not a true dedicated Home theatre, and there will be times when ambient light will be present. So does it help do offset this by painting the wall behind it a silver color to perhaps enhance relflectivity or black? What is the "norm " for a screen that lets very little light through?.Jim Mcc, my screen comes with a velvet frame which is black,but you bring up another concern: my setup includes a stage on which the screen rests.This stage juts out about 3 ft. The walls of our theater are stained wood with a deep reddish brown color.The vertical front of the stage will be stained to match,but what should I color the horizontal "floor" of the stage in an effort to minimize any relections onto the screen.Wife says carpet is out of the question!Help!!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The wall color behind the screen does not matter. Is the floor of the stage wood or plywood? Instead of painting it, you could use a black felt or velvet material. Whatever you decide, use a flat finish with a color as dark as possible.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
given the choice of "light" or "dark" behind the screen, choose "dark." Given the choice of "gloss" or "flat," take "flat."

I've got a "worst case" sort of screen -- an acoustically transparent one -- which lets a lot of light through, so I've got a "second screen" of a fairly light-weight black fabric that I drop before I drop the screen. Otherwise, there are all sorts of interesting reflections if you're on the center-line, and all sorts of interesting reflections and a double-image if you're off to the side.

Leo

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I remember a few years ago, one of the TV manufacturers--I think it was Philips, but don't remember for certain--had a feature on some of their TVs that would illuminate the wall behind the TV with light colored to match the average on-screen color. Anyone remember that? Maybe they still have that feature, I don't know, but I haven't heard about it in awhile.

Anyway, I seem to recall that there was some discussion about that feature here at the time, and I further recall some people saying back then that the ideal color for the wall behind a screen (meaning, not literally behind the screen where you can't see it, but the area of the wall surrounding the screen that you can see) is neutral grey. 6500 K grey, if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks