What's new

What CD player has a better DAC than my AVR? (2 Viewers)

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'm in search of a high quality CD player where it would be better to bypass the DAC in my Denon 2808 and use the one in the player. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will probably be seeking used, but as far as price goes...$500 or so?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do not know if you can find one used, but I am very pleased with my Sony SCD-C555ES SACD/CD player. I prefer using it via the 5.1 channel analog ports over my Oppo 980H universal player, both for CDs and SACDs. I paid about $500 for the player new many years ago. This is a 5-disc carousel player, and is built like a tank, too. A single disc version was also available, but I do not recall the model number. The Sony ES line of SACD/CD players was an excellent price/performance value, IMO.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
You might want to consider the Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray disc player. It's in your price range and includes multichannel SACD decoding as well as sending SACD DSD multichannel digital audio over HDMI.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
It's more than just the DACs employed. It's how the DACs are implemented. You AVR is likely designed in a particular manner where the DACs are piggybacked off the DSP, dragging the signal through stuff that won't improve the sound. That's why many AVRs sound better in an analog direct mode receiving analog inputs from a product such as a separate CD player where the manufacturer has designed it at its price point to have a level of digital to analog conversion. You can also consider a used outboard DAC (or even a new one at that price point) and just use what you have now as a transport. The BDP-83 is a decent player as noted in the prior post

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Interesting thought to use it at as a transport, but I don't know why I would rather have a single unit and use the denon in pure direct mode.
The main idea behind my thought process, is that cd players are made for listening to music, whereas if I use my panasonic BD player now, or buy a new oppo 83 and use it as a transport...I still have to deal with the slow load time.

I am on to the right path though right? Finding a cd player with an orginal mrsp of $1500-2000 will yield me what I'm looking for.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Maybe. If it's not too old. Some of the electronic enhancements which were discovered and expensive in the early years of CDs are now available as standard in entry level players. Of course, rugged mechanical design tends not to be a priority in the cheaper players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks