What's new

What causes pixaliation on an HD set??? (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
What causes pixelization on an HD set???

Is this something that is TV related? DIRECT TV related?

I have a Mitsubishi WD52631 set that seems to get it more then I thought I should!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Most likely it's present in the source material arriving at the TV.

Next most likely reason is that the TV's processing is less sophisticated and cannot keep up with decoding (decompressing) the incoming source material.

ATSC HDTV and also hi-def DVD does not have all 1920 x 1080 pixels per frame stored and transmitted individually but rather various compression techniques are used to reduce the amount of aggregate data. Particularly with cable TV systems, the compression may be so great that it is impossible to recover all of the picture detail. In analog video, "compression" shows up first as smoothed over horizontal details aka reduced horizontal resolution. In digital video, compression deficiencies usually show up first as checkerboarded coarsesness here and there.

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Could also be signal strength.I had lots of pixilation problems when watching hi-def programs via cable until the cableco improved the strength of my cable signal by replacing the outdoor cable and adding an amplifer.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I have Insight Cable where I live and I am getting a ton of pixaliation. I have had the cable company install a whole house amp and I have had them come out and check my HD cable box but they tell me everything is fine. I have only been at this house for one year but I did not have this much pixaliation at my last house and I believe that my signal is weak. Do they not have the ability to test the strenght of the signal coming into my house? What do you all think could be the problem?

Example: For the last couple of days the signal has been pretty good with some pixaliation but nothing that I have not became use to. I then tried to turn on the ON DEMAND and it will not even function because the pixaliation is so bad. I only watched about 5 minutes of WEEDS before I turned it off and just went to bed.

All non HD TVs in the house work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread