What's new

What can we do about Warner Bros? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's quite something else than you understand and much less severe, IMO.

And apparently corrected by Warner in the near future, as we just learned.

Cees

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
I have neither the disc nor the player in question. But BD-LIVE and BD-Java aren't the same thing--you can have a BD-Java disc without using BD-LIVE. Could it be that, now that there are BD-LIVE players on the market, they're using the storage space to create suspend/resume data when playing on a Profile 2.0 player?

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
This is really good news and goes a long way in removing my aversion to Warner BD releases. Thank you Warner, for as much as some might consider these a small issue, for me they are a very 'major' issue. Although it is almost shocking that it took Warner as long as it did to figure out what ought to have been a simple 'common sense' decision, but as they say, "better late, than never".

Now if only we could get them to consider switching to 'DTS-HD Master Audio'. I know, I know, I won't be holding my breath.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I just got back from 2 days in London (without internet access unfortunately) to see the absolutely brilliant post by Ron - thanks Ron for making those enquiries, and for being one of the few contributors to the thread that hasn't taken some sort of personal swipe or been downright patronising!!

Anyway, this is magnificent news!!

I take some comfort in the fact that my opinion wasn't completely stupid or irrrelevant (despite some arguments to the contrary) since, it seems, even WB agreed with me - and in fact were ahead of me!!

Perhaps my other issues weren't so irrelevant either.... ?

It's disappointing that the thread took such an ugly turn - it should never have degenerated into arguments between members - but...

Well, RESULT.

Thank you Warner Bros!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Forgive me ignorance - I'm asking this next question not to provoke a fight or anything, I genuinely don't know the answer.

Isn't lossless audio the same, no matter what codec it's stored in? I thought that if you had an uncompressed audio track, it would sound the same regardless of whether it was encoded to the disc as PCM, TrueHD, or DTS-HD. In other words, assuming the source is the same, shouldn't a TrueHD track sound identical to the same program encoded as a DTS-HD track?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I predicted the same old "DTS is better" attitudes would still be there with some people in the age of lossless audio, and I was right.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'd like a mandatory from Warners ALL titles regardless should be on BD-50's. Just because the film was also on HD-30's doesn't mean we'll take BD-25 ports. I'd like WB to take the extra time and effort to recode the image and give ALL original theatrical soundtracks full lossless audio, even the mono ones. Hell, even isolated scores should be lossless. Is the isolated score for L.A. Confidential lossless?
MANDATORY. NO MORE DIGITAL COPY! What's the point of this?! I was going to make another thread too. A Three-Disc Special Edition shouldn't include the digital copy as being one of those discs.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
To avoid any uncalled for debate, let's just assume that all 'lossless' is the same, irrespective of codec used. Thus, if the sound quality is the same then why not use 'DTS-HD Master Audio', which has the advantage of having a superior 1.5mbps DTS core for backwards compatibility and does not require a redundant legacy DD track just for compatibility purposes.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

The core of a DTS-HD MA/HR track provides some backward-compatibility but, given the installed base of Dolby Digital decoders, a separate Dolby Digital track provides more. The combination of a TrueHD track for maximum resolution and a Dolby Digital track for maximum backward-compatibility seems eminently practical to me.

Adam

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

OK - that's what I thought was going on. Cool. Well, I mean, not cool really that it's a subject of complaint, but cool to know I didn't miss something.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I still believe Warner Bros is the best Home Video Company. Not every film is going to look great in High -Def. I was surprised how good "Bonnie and Clyde" looked since this was always a grainy and low budget film.

I love when the film starts without having to go to the menus, so I don't find that to be a fault but a plus!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I don't know about that title, but I noticed that Disney has authored the newly released HSM3 BD to ask if you want to continue playback from where you stopped it as soon as it loads up -- didn't even make us go thru all the usual Disney trailers, IIRC. :emoji_thumbsup:

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks