What's new

What can we do about Warner Bros? (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Except for the people who will get no sound at all right off, because their blu-ray player doesn't support converting TrueHD to output via the toslink.

Doug

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

The audio tracks are going to be listed in the audio setup, so despite not having the original packaging, the audio track information is available.

- Walter.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Not only that but they would be getting calls from angry customers who have no sound....or hundreds of discs being returned to the stores because they are "defective".

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I started out with the BDP1000 and I don't believe that it did, but my memory could be off on that.

Doug

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
All other studios default to highest codec, why can't Warner?

That is the standard.

No other factor comes into play.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
And specs always subject to change, in most cases to customer demand.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
And is SONY leaving all their customers in the cold with the only track being TRUEHD?

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
With Sony and Paramount I believe it is set up so that there are two English audio tracks: TrueHD and legacy Dolby Digital. The regular Dolby track is hidden and the disc defaults to TrueHD. If the system doesn't support TrueHD the disc switches to DD automatically without requiring any input from the user. So no matter what your particular system's capabilities are, you automatically get the best option.

I don't know why Warner doesn't do the same. It is a little irksome but if it doesn't get fixed, whatever. I've got bigger fish to fry.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I just tried a Warner title on the Samsung 1000 with component cables for video/stereo 2.0 cables for audio hooked directly to the TV Monitor at 720p. Both the DD 5.1 and DD TrueHD 5.1 audio could be heard with perfect clarity with the TV's 2.0 speakers.

It's likely that one of the many firmware updates fixed the problem for the first gen Profile 1.0 players, and now with Profile 1.1 being the standard the spec has been brought up to speed. I mean, there's got to be a reason Sony, of all studios, is able to release dozens of titles without a separate regular DD 5.1 track.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

If that is the case then that is the best possible solution, but I don't know that it is, or what is involved in making it work. It may require authoring in advanced mode which would cause the complaint that the disc doesn't resume.

Doug

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
THIS is what I've been trying to say. Thank you!

Warner does the same. That's what I called the "Core" audio earlier in this thread. And it's my point: they're inclusion of a separate regular DD track is redundant.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The only thing i REALLY know, is, i own more Warner Blu-ray's than any other studio. I almost own more Warner Blu-rays, than all the others combined!
Catalog titles with no extras...fine! 2010, or Under Siege are only gonna set you back $14 in store, on release! But Predator was $28 in store when it came out, and thats one of those high price FOX discs...and its a bare bones release too!

I have no problem with Warner Blu-ray discs. Except i hate gimmick packaging. How the West Was Won, Dirty Harry, and the DH boxset could have come out in Blu-ray cases, and my OCD would be happy!

I cant say anything about HD audio, i dont have that capacity, but i DO like Warner movies starting right up. I love it as a matter of fact. What a joy to not to have to sit and watch 10 minutes of FBI warnings, anti-pirating announcements, and so on...right to the movie. I dont mind previews, i watch most. But its nice to look at after the movie.

And the most important thing to me, PQ. I think Warner does fine in that regard. Many other studios fall below them. I would put them in the top 50% in picture quality.

Thanks Warner, i love what you do. Keep up the good work!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Could very well be that it was fixed with a firmware update. I did seem to remember having to select the DD track when I had that player.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks