What's new

What cables/wall plates for powered speakers in Family Room? (1 Viewer)

Robert V

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I are building a home and would like to include a HT in the family room. We will be using Mackie HR624's all around which allow for unbalanced RCA connections (as well as balanced and phone). What should I be looking for in regards to in wall rca cables, plates, connectors, etc? Thanks for any help.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Robert,

If your pre-pro only has RCA outputs, then you want to use RCA cables, wall plates and connectors. Of course, that’s glaringly obvious, so perhaps I’m missing something, or you forgot to tell us something?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Robert V

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

Looking back at the question, I realize that it contains a lot of unrelated info. The mackies will be used in conjunction with an HK 325 via unbalanced pre outs. Therefore, I am assuming that the in wall rca cables are pre terminated and that they just plug into the wall plates (male to female connection), and from the wall plate to the built in amp? Maybe I should have asked where a good place to order in wall cables and plates is?

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Okay, now we’re cooking!

The usual places – Home Depot, Parts Express, etc. If you go the mic cable route, PE should have that too, but you might also want to check some pro audio outlets like American Musician’s Supply, Pro Sound & Stage Lighting, etc.

I must say the specs on those Mackie speakers are pretty astounding, especially frequency response. Have you heard them?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Robert V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for before the electrical walkthrough at the house. There is a Guitar center nearby so I may have to stop there after work.

Regarding the Mackies: I have a pair of HR824's for 2 channel only system with a cary 308 cd player. The Mackies aren't the most appealing aesthetically, but the 824's are the most revealing speakers I have owned (and I have had Audes, PSB, nht, norh, and Maggies). Also, they have a flat frequency response so if a sub were needed, integrating would be rather easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks