What's new

3D What aspect ratio will Avatar be when released on Blu-Ray 3D? (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm not the one who's got a problem with the way he's framing Avatar. YOU find it!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Here we go again. And again, and again, and yet again. One more case of a director's choice of AR being questioned, one being rendered invalid over another, frustrations over what looks best on TV....it really is TDK and Buffy all over again.

Have fun keeping the circle, er, rectangle going. :)

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh, I'm stopping now. Took me a few posts to realize what I was doing...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Quote:Originally Posted by dpippel ">[/url]

I'm not the one who's got a problem with the way he's framing Avatar. YOU find it!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well Carl, it wasn't my intent to insult you or your opinion, and I apologize. I'll admit to being tired of this kind of debate and maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut. In the end it's a pointless exercise. Cameron's the director, it was his call, and that's that as far as I'm concerned. I feel his decision is more than acceptable and I'll leave it at that. Again, my apologies if you were offended. Try not to take things so seriously. We're just talking about film here after all...

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
For the record (if there is such a thing), I have no opinion because I'll accept whatever AR James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, and Joss Whedon wants for their work to be presented. My opinion on the subject doesn't matter. Maybe that makes me some kind of sheep who will blindly follow whatever they say, but it's their films (and television show) and if I don't get a say in what scenes are included or cut, or choice of audio format, why should I get a say in what aspect ratio they feel is best to preserve their intentions for home viewing?

Who in the hell am I to say it's not good enough when they aren't compromising anything? It's not like they pan and scanned their work to appeal to certain viewers who are ignorant of these things.

Joss Whedon wanted his television series to be presented like a (once) traditional television series, which meant 1.33:1.
People even went as far as saying it was 'short sighted' and the issue of OAR was thrown out the window.

Christopher Nolan wanted to preserve the effect of the more immersive IMAX presentation of his film and knew the only way to do so was to reformat the IMAX footage to a full 16:9 ratio.

This annoyed people with specific displays, wanting just a straight 2.35 presentation because the shifting would mess with their setups (so what do they do when watching 1.85 or 1.78 movies? Avoid them all? How does that work?) Others were worried about the shifting being a potential distraction. Fair enough. Understandable. A few said it was the wrong AR regardless of what Nolan decided. It's his movie, and he knew he had to make a subtle compromise.

James Cameron wanted his film to be screened in 2D theatrically at 2.35:1, with 3D presentations being in whatever ratio they could provide - his preferred AR of 1.78:1 or the wider AR. He then decides to utilize that 3D presentation's AR for home viewing, most likely because it's the entire frame as shot, with nothing missing unlike the 2.35 presentation.

Seems as cut and dry as it sounds. Some people don't think it is, or don't think it's good enough or whatever and will argue about it for about 70, 80 pages or more. Some, like me, are probably looked at as being sheep for accepting those choices at face value, blindly following along without question.

So I'm a sheep. I'm fine with it.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Thank you for the apology, and please forgive me if I came across as too serious. I stand by what I said about the aspect ratio, but I think I probably came across as thinking its a much bigger deal than I actually do. I don't think 1.78:1 is ideal for Avatar, but if Cameron gives it the thumbs up then I can live with it. I look forward to re-visiting Avatar in my living room, something on which I imagine we can all agree!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

Some, like me, are probably looked at as being sheep for accepting those choices at face value, blindly following along without question.

So I'm a sheep. I'm fine with it.
Don't worry, I am too.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by cafink

Good idea. Thank you for the helpful suggestion.

Oh, wait, it wasn't helpful at all, was it?

If you're not interested in defending your opinions on Avatar's aspect ratio (as you indicated in your response to Nicholas), that's fine. You don't owe me or anyone else an explanation. But there's no need to reply with snark ("why don't you call the director and complain, then?"), or to suggest that you're above anyone who happens to have a different opinion on the subject ("what was I doing?").

I respect your opinions on Avatar's aspect ratio, but I certainly don't respect your dismissive, holier-than-thou attitude. I thought the HTF was a place where my opinion, which I believe to be perfectly reasonable, would be respected, too. But "oh boy" isn't a respectable response.

Forget it. You're wasting bandwidfh trying to convince people, otherwise, that think a director's decree on aspect ratio is somehow sacrosanct and not to be questioned. It doesn't matter to them that the same director had no problem stating that 2.35:1 was the most pleasing composition for flat projection of this film and actually even had it released in theatres that way. Now that the "King" has decided that 1.78:1 is the crowning aspect ratio for a home release, anybody who doesn't agree and wants to see it in the original theatrical ratio for flat projection is just supposed tug their forelock and say, "As you will it, Mr. The King". Like someone said here it is TDK all over again. Like that one, this one will be just another one to leave on the shelf.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

Christopher Nolan wanted to preserve the effect of the more immersive IMAX presentation of his film and knew the only way to do so was to reformat the IMAX footage to a full 16:9 ratio.

This annoyed people with specific displays, wanting just a straight 2.35 presentation because the shifting would mess with their setups (so what do they do when watching 1.85 or 1.78 movies? Avoid them all? How does that work?) Others were worried about the shifting being a potential distraction. Fair enough. Understandable. A few said it was the wrong AR regardless of what Nolan decided. It's his movie, and he knew he had to make a subtle compromise.
The people in question are using "constant height" displays, which have an aspect ratio of 2.39:1, so that all movies completely fill the height of the display, but may not completely fill the width, depending on the aspect ratio of the movie. So, watching a 1.78:1 movie is no problem. It fills the screen in one dimension (height) but not the other (width), just as with any film whose aspect ratio is different than that of the display on which it's watched.

The problem with The Dark Knight is that while the bulk of the film is 2.39:1, a few select scenes are 1.78:1. These scenese are "opened up," changing the height but not the width of the image. This works great on a 1.78:1 display, but not for a 2.39:1 one. Watching The Dark Knight on such a display would mean either having a large black border around all four sides of the image during the 2.39:1 scenes, or filling the screen with those scenes but cropping the 1.78:1 scenes.

A completely 2.39:1 version of the film was created for traditional (non-Imax) theaters, and would have been the perfect version of the movie to watch for viewers with a constant-height display. Sadly, Warner chose to omit that version from the Blu-ray. Inexplicably, it was included on the DVD, which is certainly not the medium on which constant-height display users would be watching the film.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Why not just have all versions available in the set? The theatrial edition was 2:39:1, IMAX was 1.78:1, so...have 'em both. Makes more sense to me. Sorta goes along with Storraro and something like APOCALYPSE NOW. If he wants to OAR to be 2:1, great -- but at least have the full original OAR version available.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by cafink

The people in question are using "constant height" displays, which have an aspect ratio of 2.39:1, so that all movies completely fill the height of the display, but may not completely fill the width, depending on the aspect ratio of the movie. So, watching a 1.78:1 movie is no problem. It fills the screen in one dimension (height) but not the other (width), just as with any film whose aspect ratio is different than that of the display on which it's watched.

The problem with The Dark Knight is that while the bulk of the film is 2.39:1, a few select scenes are 1.78:1. These scenese are "opened up," changing the height but not the width of the image. This works great on a 1.78:1 display, but not for a 2.39:1 one. Watching The Dark Knight on such a display would mean either having a large black border around all four sides of the image during the 2.39:1 scenes, or filling the screen with those scenes but cropping the 1.78:1 scenes.

A completely 2.39:1 version of the film was created for traditional (non-Imax) theaters, and would have been the perfect version of the movie to watch for viewers with a constant-height display. Sadly, Warner chose to omit that version from the Blu-ray. Inexplicably, it was included on the DVD, which is certainly not the medium on which constant-height display users would be watching the film.

This argument was lost on people during the original debate, so I doubt it will convince any of them now.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
A lot of people said (without even trying it first) that it wasn't possible, but with The Dark Knight the 1.78:1 IMAX scenes could be cropped (or masked out) and it wouldn't look any different than the DVD's standard theatrical presentation. I tested it many times myself using the DVD as a template, and what's missing in the masked out IMAX scenes is what's missing on the DVD. They could easily have used a BD-J or subtitle masking bar on that disc.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by bgart13

Why not just have all versions available in the set? The theatrial edition was 2:39:1, IMAX was 1.78:1, so...have 'em both. Makes more sense to me.

This argument was presented in the original TDK debate, but of course it didn't count. It makes perfect sense for a release of "Avatar" but, of course, it will be discounted because it is not what Cameron wants.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

This argument was lost on people during the original debate, so I doubt it will convince any of them now.

Or perhaps they recognized that the 1/100th of 1% of the home video market that constant height display users represent were not a big concern to the studio releasing the title. I'm not saying that's fair, but I'm sure it was a consideration at Warner for TDK, if it was on their radar at all.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

A lot of people said (without even trying it first) that it wasn't possible, but with The Dark Knight the 1.78:1 IMAX scenes could be cropped (or masked out) and it wouldn't look any different than the DVD's standard theatrical presentation. I tested it many times myself using the DVD as a template, and what's missing in the masked out IMAX scenes is what's missing on the DVD. They could easily have used a BD-J or subtitle masking bar on that disc.
Really? I wish you'd have said something about this before (or did I just miss it?), because that makes a big difference. I have not checked myself, but I most definitely recall, back when The Dark Knight was first released on Blu-ray, people reporting that this was not the case. The 2.39:1 version of the Imax scenes, they said, were not created by simply cropping an equal amount from the top and bottom of the 1.78:1 frame.

But if they are created that way, then it shouldn't present a problem for constant-height displays, right? The top and bottom portions of the image will be cropped off during the 1.78:1 Imax scenes (leaving the proper 2.39:1 framing), just as they would be during the rest of the movie when that area contains the black letterbox bars.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Given the choice of 2.35 or 1.78 ratio for home viewing, I'd opt for 1.78. Fill up the screen, more immersive.

2.35 at the cinema, 1.78 for the home. Perfect.

I didn't see it at the Imax so it'll be interesting to see the film opened up top and bottom. No mike's in frame? (kidding)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks