What are YOUR top ten DVDs of 2006?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mike D, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Mike D

Mike D Stunt Coordinator

Which were your favorite DVDs released this year?

Please comment on your choices. Did they have excellent or extensive extras? Pristine restorations? Superb commentaries? Unique packaging? Did they feature favorite performers or filmmakers? Was their release surprising? or anxiously anticipated?

Which DVDs were the most disappointing?

Please include HD or TV releases separately.

As usual I will include some related links from around the web, updating them as I become aware of others...

2. Voranand

Voranand Stunt Coordinator

My favorite this year didn't even belong in the top 25 of Rolling Stone (per your link). It's Criterion's Seven Samurais. It has everything you mentioned below.

3. Irina

Irina Second Unit

The Seven Samurai (Criterion) made #5 on the DVD Journal Top Ten list.

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Is there a site that lists all the releases for the year? I'd love to draw up a list, but its hard to remember all the DVDs that came out in 2006!

Off the top of my head:
    Best box sets: Superman: Ultimate Collection, Get Smart - Complete Series, SNL- First Season
    Movies: V For Vendetta (2 disc), Maltese Falcon (3 disc), Chuck Berry Hail Hail Rock and Roll (4 disc).

5. ScottHM

ScottHM Second Unit

Scott
    My favorite DVD acquisitions of the year (boxed sets and singles) are (in no particular order):

Young Mr. Lincoln
    The Charlie Chan Collection, vol. 1
    The Charlie Chan Collection, vol. 2
    The John Wayne/John Ford Film Collection
    Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection, vol. 2
    The Astaire & Rogers Complete Film Collection
    Forbidden Planet
    Double Indemnity
    Sgt. York
    Mission: Impossible, season one (TV)

The ones I was most looking forward to were the Charlie Chan releases, though Young Mr. Lincoln and Mission: Impossible were close seconds. The packaging I was most impressed with was the Astaire & Rogers collection. I haven't really taken the time to watch the extra features or listen to any commentaries, but I've been generally happy with the movies I've watched so far.

---------------

6. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I second the vote for the superman ultimate collection and the movie V for vendetta.

Jacob

7. SteveJKo

SteveJKo Second Unit

Lots of great releases over this past year. But if I was to pick just one film based on the quality of it's image then it's no contest. Ryan's Daughter set a new standard for how great a non-HD disc could look.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Based purely on what I like, the quality of the disc, the extras and just personal preference, here's my top nine in alphabetical:

Clerks II My favorite movie of the year has the usual great View Askew extras.

Double Indemnity A great movie that now looks great.

Film Noir Classic Collection Volume Three includes Border Incident, His Kind of Woman, Lady in the Lake, On Dangerous Ground and The Racket. The movies are solid and the extras are very nice.

King Kong (2005) (Two Disc and Three Disc) I loved this movie so the wealth of behind the scenes stuff made these DVDs a must have for me.

Lost: Season Two The episodes are all top notch and the extras are fun.

Masters Of Horror The episodes were much better than I was expecting since I only heard terrible word of mouth (of course most horror fans hate everything anyway). Even with the occasional episode that I didn't like, there was still very nice extras.

Seinfeld: Season Seven The gold standard of TV releases. The top of the top.

The Simpsons: Seasons Eight and Nine The last of what I consider the classic episodes all with commentaries. Granted, I haven't watched S9 yet but I have no doubt it's good. [​IMG]

24: Season Five A great, exciting season with 12 commentaries, deleted scenes and behind the scenes stuff on less featured departments (like the camera crew).

I'll add a tenth entry when I see a title on someone else's list that I forgot. [​IMG]

The "Not The Best DVDs But I'm Just Happy That It's On DVD" List: Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Carnivale, Cemetery Man, Deadwood, Fox film noirs and Tales From The Crypt

And next year, I'd like to see Lost Highway and Twin Peaks: Season Two on this list.

9. Jonathan Peterson

Jonathan Peterson Second Unit

01) Superman - Ultimate Collectors Edition 14 Disc Set
    02) Star Trek Animated Series
    03) Forbidden Planet - 50th Anniversary Edition
    04) Flash Gordon Animated Complete Series
    05) Kissology Vol. 1
    06) The Doors -15th Anniversary 2 Disc Set
    07) V For Vendetta
    08) Wild Wild West - Complete 1st Season
    09) Poseidon Adventure - Special Edition
    10) Police Squad! - The Complete Series

Biggest disappointment: Transformers: The Movie - 20th Anniversary Edition because of it's terriblely over-compressed picture.

10. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

Favorites at this point (There are still a few coming my way next week) in alphabetical order:

All the President's Men SE
    Apocalypse Now Complete Dossier
    Grease (new SE - no laughing, this was actually very cool)
    Hail! Hail! Rock & Roll (4 Disc Set)
    James Bond Ultimate Collection
    Kingdom of Heaven (4 Disc Set)
    Rocky (new 2 Disc SE)
    Star Trek Animated
    St. Elsewhere Season One
    Superman Ultimate Collection (with corrected discs on the way now)

11. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

1. Superman II – The Richard Donner Cut --- This was the DVD of the year as far as I was concerned! We *finally* get to experience about 90% of Donner’s original vision for this movie. Only the repetitive ending – which would have been altered if Donner had remained in charge of the franchise --- detracts from the overall assured and confident presentation of this continuation of the Superman mythos. It would’ve been wondrous to have seen this film in 1981!

2. Forbidden Planet Collectors Edition --- After several years of rumors regarding this title, it finally surfaces in time for its 50th Anniversary. It was worth the wait! The A/V quality is at least 10 times better than the previously released “bare bones” disc; and the extras are fantastic!!

3. Star Trek: The Animated Series --- Another long holdout from the DVD format, this was a welcome addition to every Star Trek fans’ DVD collection. And it was great to get both Okuda “Trivia Tracks” and commentary tracks on various episodes! More than the “Fan Favorite” compilations that were released earlier in the year, this release was a worthier way to celebrate Star Trek’s 40th Anniversary.

4. Saturday Night Live: The Complete First Season --- They’re all here: Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Jane Curtin, Gildna Radner, Laraine Newman, Garrett Morris, and all the rest of the original “Not Ready for Prime Time players” in the complete first season that defined the format. It’s an “instant DVD classic”!!

5. Star Wars Trilogy: The Original, Unaltered, Theatrical cuts --- OK, I know these are non-anamorphic. And I know they were sourced from the same 1993 D1 master tapes as the laserdiscs. None of that matters. The DVD format would have been forever incomplete if these films had not been available in some form. Let’s get it out of the way fast: The presentation of these cuts is an affront to the historical significance of these films. But as a reference of the way these movies were initially released to the theaters in 1977, 1980, and 1983 they are … better than nothing!!

6. James Bond Ultimate Collections (Volumes I-IV) – These Lowry-restored discs provide new “pop” and clarity to the Bond films released in the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s. The restored Goldfinger alone is worth the price of admission.

7. The Little Mermaid Platinum Edition --- A little bit of a disappointment due to the controversial “Home Theater” audio mix, the disc still delivers in the video portion of the presentation, and the extras include the Disney Theme Park Ride that never was!

8. The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. (Complete Series) – With this release to the DVD format, you have to feel that there’s still at least a glimmer of hope that we may see the original 1966 Batman series some day! (Or maybe even Maverick??) Seriously, this was perhaps the best single season series ever produced for television, and the A/V quality and abundant supplements do it proud.

9. Cars – The latest Pixar offering takes a while to get going, but delivers in spades once it does. The DVD presentation is glorious!!

10. M*A*S*H Season 11 and/or the M*A*S*H complete Series Box --- The entire series is now available on the DVD format. And I still can’t get enough of it!

12. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    1. Seven Samurai: The Criterion Collection
    2. *TIE* The Poseiden Adventure and The Towering Inferno: Special Edition
    3. Doctor Who - Inferno
    4. The Searchers Ultimate Collector's Edition
    5. Amarcord: The Criterion Collection
    6. The Maltese Falcon Special Edition
    7. Doctor Who - The Beginning
    8. Brazil: The Criterion Collection (Remastered 3-Disc Edition)
    9. Cinema Paradiso
    10. Transformers The Movie.

13. mike kaminski

mike kaminski Second Unit

-Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut--one of the best films i have ever seen and a supplemental dvd that is as much as you could ask for
    -Seven Samurai Criterion--a very close second. no explanation needed for what makes it so noteworthy, just an overall treat for film buffs. I like the actual film of KOH[​IMG]C a bit better so i rank that just above it
    -Oldboy 3 disk tin--i can't believe that this hasn't got more attention. This really is one of the best releases of a new film that has ever been made, and were it not for the fact that the film itself is perhaps not quite as well known as the above films i have listed i would say this is one of the best single-film releases in home video history.
    -Apocalypse Now complete dossier--despite the disturbing lack of Hearts of Darkness and the older theatrical cut transfer, it really was a personal joy to have this film in both versions with a Coppola commentary track, especially since the theatrical cut, one of my favourite films, has been out of print for so very long. This release wasn't anything special but the theatrical cut of the film is such a personal favourite
    -Superman Ultimate Collection--duh. 14 disks? Oh yeah.

14. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Some of my favorite releases this year in no particular order:

Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition
    James Bond Ultimate Collections
    King Kong: Deluxe Extended Edition
    Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier
    Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut
    The Green Mile: Two-Disc Special Edition
    Seven Samurai

15. m.cellophane

m.cellophane Agent

Best

Astaire and Rogers: The Complete Film Collection
    Playtime
    Tennessee Williams Film Collection
    The Busby Berkeley Collection
    Preston Sturges: The Filmmaker Collection
    The Marlon Brando Collection
    The Bette Davis Collection, Vol. 2
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Liza with a ‘Z’
    Rent

Biggest Disappointment

Rodgers and Hammerstein Collection for not providing a decent solution for those who purchased the first 3 films last year. Thumbing the corporate nose at the most loyal buyers. Tsk.

In contrast, Warner Bros. pulled out all of the stops for the Astaire and Rogers Ultimate set...new slim cases in the new set in which to bring over your discs from last year's set...and an offer for free posters. Bravo!

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I run a top ten I update monthly on the site. Won't update it for all of 2006 until the year's over!

17. BradWOO

BradWOO Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

I totally agree with you about the Oldboy set. The tin is gorgeous. The supplements are outstanding. The picture quality is superb and the DTS track is incredible. I imported the soundtrack CD and have listened to it constantly.

Lady Vengeance, by the same director, is also a very good dvd. You get 3 commentaries, a making of featurette, a 45 minute interview with director Chan-Wook Park.

18. Thommy...M

Thommy...M Stunt Coordinator

#1. GRAND PRIX

Huh?
    Yup, GRAND PRIX.

Oh, here we get something a little out of the ordinary. GRAND PRIX'S extras include something you never see in a making of documentary -- the star of the film screaming and acting like a maniac on the set! Yes, this great DVD includes Mr. James Garner getting his face right into a rather annoying man while in Monaco. The inclusion of that little bit is so refreshing and quite the opposite to the usual "We all got along great, he's the greatest, isn't this film the greatest" pats on the back filler on DVD extras.

On top of that, the presentation both visually and sonically of the film on this DVD is absolutely spectacular and all of the extras are out of this world. Pieces on 1960s Formula One, great documentary on the film, insightful talking heads...but, wait till you see a star acting like a star and menacingly pointing his finger in a guy's face. Thanks, Mr. Garner, your behind the scenes performance is the best performance I've seen on DVD this year and helps GRAND PRIX claim the trophy of top DVD this year.

Sure, the KING KONG special collectors director's edition is great and all, but new films should be chock full of extras. When a mediocre film from 1966 comes chock full of little goodies (including footage of a raging movie star), we must say, "Yes, this is what DVDs are all about."

#2. SUPERMAN - THE DONNER CUT

Is the film better? Does it matter? If it weren't for these shiny things called DVDs we would never have seen an effort to put this thing together.

19. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Subversive's incredibly comprehensive 5-disc release of Richard Stanley's DUST DEVIL is one of the finest DVD releases of any film, period. It out-Criterion's Criterion. And the film itself, while not one of my all-time favorites, is pretty damn good too.

20. Kevin L McCorry

Kevin L McCorry Second Unit

Doctor Who- The Beginning Box Set
    Doctor Who- Inferno
    Doctor Who- The Invasion
    Looney Tunes Golden Collection 4
    Superman Ultimate Collection
    Forbidden Planet
    Star Trek Animated
    Mutiny On the Bounty (1962)
    Bionic Woman Season 2
    Flintstones Season 6