What's new

What are YOUR favorite Super Audio Discs? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Here are three I am enjoying a lot of now:

1) Freewheelin' by Bob Dylan

2) Alison Krauss & Union Station: Live

3) Four Generations of Miles

I would love to learn what discs have been floating your boat lately.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This just in from Red Trumpet on the The Who Tommy disc:

THE WHO: Tommy (2 SACD-Hybrid) [Deluxe Edition]
"This is what Tommy was meant to sound like, and I couldn't be happier that the public will finally hear it the way it was intended." - Pete Townshend

One of the pre-eminent rock albums in history, Tommy by The Who is getting the "Deluxe" treatment with a new Hybrid SACD edition that can be played on both SACD and CD players and features a disc of mostly previously unreleased tracks as well as Pete Townshend's own 5.1 surround sound mix of the album. And, as he says, the legendary Who guitar/leader/songwriter couldn't be happier.

The remarkable original rock opera about the messianic pinball wizard Tommy, initially released as a double LP in 1969, fills out the first disc of this two disc "Deluxe Edition," and features newly minted, high resolution SACD and CD stereo, remastered from the original two-track stereo mixes, plus Townshend's own, very personal remix of the album into 5.1 surround sound.

The second disc begins with a dozen rare and (mostly) unreleased outtakes and alternate versions of "We're Not Gonna Take It," "Tommy, Can You Hear Me," "Young Man Blues," among others, and such previously unheard songs as "Trying To Get Through" and "Miss Simpson," all in 5.1 surround sound and CD and SACD stereo. The second disc concludes with four previously unreleased demos - "It's A Boy," "Amazing Journey," "Christmas," and "Do You Think It's Alright" - plus the demo for "Pinball Wizard" in sparkling SACD and CD stereo.

The intended purpose of the "Deluxe Edition" series is to provide listeners with new musical insights into classic albums. Courtesy of The Who, this new Tommy more than lives up to this goal.

* Newly remastered Hybrid SACD "Deluxe Edition" of The Classic Tommy

* Both discs playable on SACD and CD Players

* Features Pete Townshend's Own 5.1 Surround Sound Remix of "Tommy"

* Includes 14 previously unreleased tracks, including Demos of "Do You Think It's Alright?" and "It's A Boy" and Previously Unheard Songs

* Expanded booklet includes rare & previously unavailable photos from the "Tommy" sessions

:emoji_thumbsup: :)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well it would be Dark Side of the moon for me and Whats the story morning glory.

Whats the story is not a great SACD, but the music is so good it makes up for lack of sonics, if that makes any sense

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The info on Tommy looks sweet. Fortunately, I got into the album recently (finally decided to start listening to The Who!), so I'll be able to focus on the sonics instead of having to "learn" the music, as one tends to do with something new to him.

Any release date?

Up until recently, I haven't really been into high-res as much as I was before, mostly due to finances. Now that I'm finally getting some income flow, I started to re-examine the wealth of new SACD titles since my hiatus. Most significantly, I've discovered the Concord SACDs, as mentioned in another thread. So, I'm back in the SACD game.

Lee, I can spot a SACD cheerleading thread a mile away, but with these discs, I'm willing to help.

Most specifically, the Tito Puente and Pancho Sanchez titles on Concord. Latin jazz is possibly the music best suited for surround sound, IMO, with maybe symphonic as well.

So, to make a short story long, as answer to your question:

Tito Puente- Goza Mi Timbal

Poncho Sanchez- Congo Blue

Ok, enough typing for me- I'm going to go listen to the Cal Tjader SACD from Concord in MC.

Danny Spencer

Auditioning
I am having a hard time listening to anything but the Bob Dylan remasters that I picked up recently. I have never owned much of his music, except for Greatest Hits albums, but I have heard a fair amount of his music. So far, I have "Blonde on Blonde", "Blood on the Tracks", "Desire", and "Bringing it All Back Home". All of these titles let me hear Bob's music like never before. Even though some folks don't care for his voice, I find it quite fitting on most of his tunes. Every time I listen to these, I hear some other tasty guitar riff, keyboard part, or some other little thing that was always lost or buried in other versions of these wonderful albums. I have at least five others on my wish list.
Danny

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm awaiting the arrival of 9 of the Dylan SACDs with baited breath. Stupid Red Trumpet having a stupid problem with my stupid credit card.:angry:

Mmm, Art Pepper. I have his Meets the Rhythm Section SACD. Not usually my style of sax playing, but of course Art's great at what he does.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Here are my current favorites:

Favorite:

Dave Brubeck Time Out
Peter Gabriel Up (except the cracking spindle problem on the disc)
Bob Dylan Brining it All Back Home

J

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen any e-tailer that's taking preorders on Tommy or Yellow Brick Road. Has anyone else found one?

Thanks,
Doug

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DSotM

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue 2ch, Very well recorded (MoFi) smooth, brooding jazz.

So, is Peter Gabriel Up that good, and what is this cracking problem? I've held off on that one.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
So, is Peter Gabriel Up that good, and what is this cracking problem? I've held off on that one.
I really enjoyed this disc. Out of the PG SACD, this is the only disc that is a Hybrid and has a 5.1 track as well. I saw PG live in concert this past summer, and ended up enjoying this new music even further.

The problem with cracking has to do with discs pressed by Crest. The center hub of many discs literally cracks and then begins to flake off, possibly leaving the disc unplayable and damaging ones player. If you do a search here for "Crest" or "Crest Cracker" you will find more replies than a SACD fan would care to recognize.

Many people on this forum and across the internet have refused to buy Hybirds and especially Hybrids put out by Universal, as Crest has yet to address the situation correctly. Some effected titles to look out for include Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, Norah Jones: Come Away with Me, Coltrane: Blue Train, Peter Gabriel: Up, Three Doors Down: Away From the Sun, and others I cannot remeber off the top of my head.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Justin. I don't have that Dylan album yet but the buzz is good.
I really enjoyed the stereo track on this album both in redbook and SACD. Top notch, great sonics.

In a Dylan thread here, I posted some thoughts on the surround track as well. To sum it up, the 5.1 was nothing special, lacking a discrete nature, and adding only reverb to the surrounds. Very Silverline like, but probably a result of the original masters, more so than a lack of effort. Still, it gives surround music fans a little nugget of something Dylan.

J

george king

Supporting Actor
Here's mine

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Tiernay Sutton - Something Cool
Allison Kraus - Live
Martha's Trouble - Still

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Aside from the Dylans, which are a revelation, I actually have to mention "Just Like You," by Keb Mo. Not a brilliant album, but very good, and it sounds like a million bucks in its multi-channel format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks