What's new

Directors What are your favorite live concert DVDs? (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
To answer the question:

In no particular order:

The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over Tour (DTS) in fact, this is the DVD that really convinced me to get some good speakers.

The Who: Live at Royal Albert Hall. A long set with the band in fine form.

James Taylor - Live at the Beacon Theatre (great set and would have been even better if the seats hadn't gone to a bunch of stiffs but to some real fans.

The Cranberries: Beneath the Skin (good to listen to but not watch as the lead singer has no idea how to move or dance).

Iron Maiden: Rock in Rio. Great set in front of a great crowd of 100,000+ Brazilians. Scream for me Brazil!

Monterey Pop

Led Zeppelin Set - and a bargain for what you get.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
A couple that have been mentioned are Don Henley, Live Inside Job. I love the trombone section playing lead on Hotel California. Another favorite of mine is not a concert DVD, but is Fly, Jefferson Airplane. It has some great videos of some of their classics, with some great interviews with the group.

My favorite concert DVD is one that has been mentioned several times, Monterey.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
Check out:

Genesis: Live the Way We Walk - multiple angles, a nice 5.1 track and some alright extras

Genesis: Live at Wembley - DTS 5.1 track that is booming, nice video especially from a dead sony format

Phil Collins: First Final Farewell tour - Multiple angles, multiple angles, music video for each song, documentaries, DTS and DD 5.1. Just a stacked DVD

Dave Matthews Band: Live at Central Park: Nice High def video, audio is quite good as well.

Dave Matthews Band: Listener Supported - Nice long camera angles and a great audio track.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones: Live at the Quick - Only way to see this band is on video. You won't be disapointed.

Live Aid - Great video and hit or miss audio (depending on Wembley or Philly) but a great way to relive many of the parts of that day.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
ALL Steve Hackett and King Crimson dvds.

Roxy Music-The High Road

Jethro Tull-Live At the Isle of Wight 1970(worth the price for "My God" alone).

There are also good discs with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and a personal fave....Steve Lukather. The Steve Morse/Dregs dvd rocks solid as well.

There are TONS of fine music dvds...and I still need to buy more. Would like some better Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Frank Zappa and Camel dvds. More progressive rock like Happy the Man, Soft Machine, Marillion, Magma and Richard Sinclair.

Need: Allan Holdsworth!!!!!!

..and OLD...Genesis.

Melson

Agent
Cure - Trilogy

Three of their best albums played live in one night. Brilliant sound and images.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

There are several Marillion and a few Magma DVDs, although I think there's only one Marillion disc from the Fish era (it's very cool though -- the quality ain't so hot, but it's *very* early and includes a backstage interview with a practically teenaged Fish). There's a 2-disc set of Fish's Sunset On Empire tour that is a must-buy -- that was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

The Magma discs are very pricey, so I haven't acquired them (yet). :frowning: Got to see 'em live at NEARFest, though! :) (Who'd have thought I'd get *that* chance!)

I just ordered the new Enchant live disc, as well as discs from SBB, Collage, Delight, and Nightwish. The Glass Hammer disc arrived last week.

There are discs by Arena and Pallas that you might dig if you're into neo-prog. (I have the Arena disc, which is good.)

I'm tempted to get a PAL player so I can order the Banco and Gentle Giant discs. ;)

I posted a question about possible old Genesis videos in another thread, but forgot to check whether anyone answered. . .

Arman

Screenwriter
Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii
The Cure - Trilogy
U2 Go Home - Live From Slane Castle

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Live Aid

Sparks- Lil Beethoven Live In Stockholm (10 demerits however for using FilmLook!)

Pet Shop Boys- Montage: The Nightlife Tour and Performance- available as a Canadian import, well worth it even if you have the laserdisc

Nine Inch Nails- And All That Could Have Been

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Led Zeppelin How The West Was Won
Death Live in LA
SOD Speak English or Live
Sepultura Chaos DVD
Overkill Live Wrecking everything

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks