What's new

What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Civ 5: Brave New World.
Best expansion for a civ game I ever remember.. as someone who likes to play the time or cultural win, it's definitely worthwhile!

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Serious Sam 3: BFE. My twitchy skills have gotten a bit rusty although the game lacks a double-tap quick sidestep. Too many secret areas and getting weapons early if you know the secrets for my taste.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Bought a lot of games from the Steam Sale, but I'm still playing nothing but Skyrim! I haven't touched the main quest in ages. Started playing the Dragonborn expansion a few weeks ago (skipped Dawngaurd because I don't want to play as a vampire or a wereworlf, and Hearthfire doesn't seem interesting to me...

I posted a link in the Skyrim thread to Falskaar, which is a FREE mod that offers a new island about 1/3 the size of the original game, created in over 2,000 hrs. by one 19-year-old kid whose dream is to work at Bethesda. It has over two dozen quests, thousands of well-voiced lines (from 100+ voice actors). It's WELL worth playing!

Titles I bought at the Steam Sale:

Fallout 3 - Game of the Year EditionMachinariumPortal 2The Dark EyeAnnaThe Basement CollectionFTL: Faster Than LightDear EstherLegend of GrimrockFallout New Vegas Ultimate EditionBioshock 2Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 PlatinumPsychonautsCities in Motion 2Civilization V: Gold

Dunno when (or if!) I'll get around to playing them, but the prices made them a must!

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Don Giro said:
Bought a lot of games from the Steam Sale, but I'm still playing nothing but Skyrim! I haven't touched the main quest in ages. Started playing the Dragonborn expansion a few weeks ago (skipped Dawngaurd because I don't want to play as a vampire or a wereworlf, and Hearthfire doesn't seem interesting to me...

I posted a link in the Skyrim thread to Falskaar, which is a FREE mod that offers a new island about 1/3 the size of the original game, created in over 2,000 hrs. by one 19-year-old kid whose dream is to work at Bethesda. It has over two dozen quests, thousands of well-voiced lines (from 100+ voice actors). It's WELL worth playing!

Titles I bought at the Steam Sale:

Fallout 3 - Game of the Year EditionMachinariumPortal 2The Dark EyeAnnaThe Basement CollectionFTL: Faster Than LightDear EstherLegend of GrimrockFallout New Vegas Ultimate EditionBioshock 2Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 PlatinumPsychonautsCities in Motion 2Civilization V: Gold

Dunno when (or if!) I'll get around to playing them, but the prices made them a must!
Yeah, I bought 10 games myself. Most I've ever bought withing a week span. That sale was truly impressive - best video game sale I've ever seen. I got Darksiders 2, Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2, Call of Juarez, Deux X Human Revolution, Hitman absolution, X com enemy Unknown, Dishonoured and Dark Souls.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Antichamber 6.99
Tiny Troopers 2.99
Defiance 4pk 40.09 ($10.03 for my copy)
Defiance Deluxe Upgrade 10.19
Borderlands 2 Psycho pack 3.39
Fez 4.99
Might and Magic Heroes 6 gold 10.19
System shock 2 2.49
Kerbal Space Program 13.79
Dishonored DLC 3 pack 6.43
Assassins Creed Season Pass 14.99
Monaco 4 pack 22.34 my copy 5.58
Star Trek 7.49
Sonic All Stars 4 pack 19.99 my copy 4.99
Strike Suit Zero Mega Pack 9.99
Sins of a Solar Empire 4 pack 29.99 my copy 7.50
Sins forbidden worlds 3.29

Total is $125.71. For the price of 2 new releases I got 17 games and DLC packs, including 3 DLC packs that were 4-5 bundled in 1)

Only two items on my list that I didnt get were Metro Last Light and Dead Island Riptide as their prices were too high even with discount. Will nab em in december.

I still have 1 copy of Defiance, 1 copy of Sonic Racing and 3 copies of Sins rebellion out of my four packs available if anyone is interested!

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Borderlands 2 Season Pass
Borderlands 2 Mechcromancer and Psycho character add ons
Serious Sam 3 : BFE
Deus Ex: Human Revolution GOTY
Rage: The Scorchers add on

Thought about Far Cry 3, Skyrim Legendary Edition, and Dead Island set but I can wait until the Xmas sale. Should save $5-$10 more off those titles.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I got a long list of stuff too. Especially happy about Dishonored + DLC. $16.50.

I got the Arma 2 collection even though I already had the original game. so much extra content for a little money. (about $13.50 for all the A2 stuff) Plus I want to do that zombie mod. I'm installing Arma 2 now. I need to research the rest of that to see what to install first.

Next for install, Chivalry. I bit the bullet on that. I have a friend (same one who had Natural Selection 2) with a copy of Chivalry for $5. I can direct you to where he is if anybody wants to buy the code. Not a bad game for the money. Many compare it to War of the Roses. But Chivalry usually comes out ahead. More people are playing it too.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My PC went all funky after the sale. Like an April fools joke, wrong month. Luckily I think I have it sorted out. Random lockups stink. I figured it was drivers and it was.

It happened after installing Arma 2. It played fine at first. Then the sound went, then the lockups. I checked the integrity of the install and it downloaded a small file. Turns out many (but not all) of my steam DLs have this problem. So I'll be checking each new one and periodically old ones as well.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
My PC went all funky after the sale. Like an April fools joke, wrong month. Luckily I think I have it sorted out. Random lockups stink. I figured it was drivers and it was.

It happened after installing Arma 2. It played fine at first. Then the sound went, then the lockups. I checked the integrity of the install and it downloaded a small file. Turns out many (but not all) of my steam DLs have this problem. So I'll be checking each new one and periodically old ones as well.
This is another reason why I'm not fussy about PC gaming, on top of the constant need to upgrade hardware in order to keep up with the changes in PC games. For example, my laptop has a 512MB NVidia GeForce 8800M GTX, 4 Gigs of RAM and a 2.4 Ghz q6600 quadcore. I doubt that it could run any of these new PC games like Skyrim at anything approaching acceptable frame rates and detail levels. i'd have to spend a pile building or buying yet another PC to run some of this stuff properly and then six months down the road.....whoops....another 500 to upgrade to the latest graphics card because, well, the old one just doesn't cut it if you want to run newer games at maximum.

What's worse, from what I have been reading, is that PC game developers seem to think their customers are Beta testers, who like to pay for the privilege of debugging their software. A common complaint I've read is about the constant need to download patches just in order to get half-assed PC game releases to actually work. One game -wish I could remember the name- needed the modder community to get it working, because the developer was pathetically useless in getting their own release to work.

Edit: The above is one of the worrying things about the new gen consoles adopting PC architecture. It concerns me that the same disease affecting PC games will start showing up in console versions.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Edwin-S said:
This is another reason why I'm not fussy about PC gaming, on top of the constant need to upgrade hardware in order to keep up with the changes in PC games. For example, my laptop has a 512MB NVidia GeForce 8800M GTX, 4 Gigs of RAM and a 2.4 Ghz q6600 quadcore. I doubt that it could run any of these new PC games like Skyrim at anything approaching acceptable frame rates and detail levels. i'd have to spend a pile building or buying yet another PC to run some of this stuff properly and then six months down the road.....whoops....another 500 to upgrade to the latest graphics card because, well, the old one just doesn't cut it if you want to run newer games at maximum.

What's worse, from what I have been reading, is that PC game developers seem to think their customers are Beta testers, who like to pay for the privilege of debugging their software. A common complaint I've read is about the constant need to download patches just in order to get half-assed PC game releases to actually work. One game -wish I could remember the name- needed the modder community to get it working, because the developer was pathetically useless in getting their own release to work.

Edit: The above is one of the worrying things about the new gen consoles adopting PC architecture. It concerns me that the same disease affecting PC games will start showing up in console versions.
Well I've actually headed in a different direction. I sold my PS3 a few weeks ago for a couple of reasons. I wanted to get a return on it before it became a 300 dollar paper weight with the release of the Ps4, and currently my PC trumps the functionality of the PS3 in every way. First off, games are cheaper - I just bought 10 games last week, all big name releases, for about 100 dollars at the Steam summer sale. You might be able to get 5 used games with no online codes for that money for the PS3. Second, while it's current, as you noted, graphics are much nicer. You don't need to run games on Ultra high to have them trump a PS3 - Medium to High should do the trick. Third, I find it more convenient. I've got everything I need a mouse click away and with no load time. Email / Weather reports / Netflix ( now with 5.1 DD on win 8, that was a big factor for me ) - all the music and streaming options you could ever want - beside an amazing looking media server that is highly configurable ( that will play any and every type of music or audio file you have ) 4. Blue ray burning, not just playback. 5. With an upgrade every couple of years, it's easy to keep current. That being said if you leave everything for 5 years it's going to cost you way more to get it back to where you want it to be. 6. Free open source software.. there's all kinds of free office programs / music and media players that are supported by the PC community that are done so as a labour of love. XBMC, Musicbee, Foobar, Open Office etc etc.. 7. Free online play - the days of Sony's free online play are in their death throws - and with the PS4 will be going the way of the Xbox and charging monthly / yearly subscriptions to play online.

That being said - If I had to start from SCRATCH right now / I was on a strict budget, I'd go the way of the PS4 at least for now. It is powerful as heck for the price they're asking for it / and I do love new toys!! Why not do both?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I am still thinking about another PC rig, except this time I won't make the mistake of buying a "gaming" laptop. They are pretty well as non-upgradeable as any console,AFAIAC. If I was going to do a PC gaming rig, I would go back to a desktop with a proper tower. Right now, I've pre-ordered a 4 and I just recently picked up a Vita which, apparently, I'm in a minority of when it comes to handheld devices. The 3DS is more popular, but I wanted the ability to sync to my PS3 and 4 and to PS+ which I'm still contemplating getting a subscription to. I'd punt my PS3; however, the 4 doesn't have backwards compatibility, so I have to keep the 3 as I may want to revisit some of the games I have for that system.

Still, as far as a PC rig goes, I'm still not sure which way I would want to go: buy one off the shelf or try putting one together myself. I've never actually built one from scratch, so I'd be a bit worried about buying a bunch of parts and then running into compatibility problems due to the PCs open architecture. The other problem is that I have been thinking of getting back into doing some R/C flying. That means replacing all my radio gear, because it is all obsolete since the move to 2.4Ghz spread spectrum radios. I probably wouldn't be allowed on the field. I would have to occupy a band, so nobody else would be able to use it while I was in the air. Unfortunately, only so much dough to go around for toys after real necessities. I need to win a lottery. :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
In anticipation of Pikmin 3's release this Sunday, I've been playing the original Pikmin (Wii edition). I started it about a year ago and found it too challenging, so I started from scratch this time. I'm doing much better this time. I've cleared three areas and will move on to the fourth (the last main area, though the number of ship parts indicates there's at least one more area after that), with 11 parts needed in 17 days. That should be enough days, I hope.

If you're not familiar, one of the biggest challenges of the original game is a 30 day time limit. You have that long to find your ship parts or you're out of luck. Each day lasts about 20 minutes, and it really helps to collect more than one ship piece a day. At the very end of the day, you have a countdown from ten. You want to know stress? I had the last piece in the third area being carried to my ship when the countdown started. If it didn't get to my ship in time, I'd have to leave it behind and waste a day coming back for it. With literally one second to go, the Pikmin got the part into the target zone. I could feel my pulse pounding. That saved me a day that I hopefully won't need. I mean, I think I'd have to be really bad to blow 17 days, but the fourth area was a killer the first time I attempted.

I was going to say I didn't know if I'd have time to play Pikmin 2 before Pikmin 3, but just because something comes out doesn't mean I have to play it immediately! I think I'll buy it Sunday, though, just because the Wii U needs software sales ASAP.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I'm back to playing Borderlands 2 to finish out my original play through in TVHM as Zero. I gave up when I was getting killed constantly for lack of any decent gear and Zero being rather tough solo. Now that I have more experience in the game (and a bit over-leveled) I should be able to complete it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Right now, I'm playing Assassin's Creed:Liberation on the Vita. It's not bad, but it is reminding me too much of the first Assassin's Creed game. It gets a bit boring because it seems like the time drags while you walk and walk and walk.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I actually built this PC 2.5 years ago. It cost about $900. And this past week was the only problem I had since first trying to turning it on and it didn't come on. lol that was a laugh!! grrrrrrr (bad power switch that came with my case, that eventually started working somehow).

It runs most games fine. BF3 gets jerky when I'm on the internet (single player smooth as silk with most graphic things way up). Skyrim just needs FXAA and 4x on the others. Looks great, mostly smooth. Dishonored runs mostly smooth with FXAA and looks great.

It's not bad for such an old PC. I used an online guide to pick what I wanted in it. W7, AMD quad core (read the 6 core isn't as good with games) , 4gigs, AMD 67xx card. Moved my x-fi sound card and z-5500 sound system over. It's good times. That said, if I had the money I'd built something better/upgrade so that BF3 didn't jerk so much. I hardly play it.

Last console I bought was a used Gamecube so I could play some mario stuff. Haven't turned it on in years. Yep, way too many cheap AAA titles on PC!!!1

Currently I'm on Dishonored mostly with Skyrim close second. No return of the problems luckily.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Finished Pikmin, started Pikmin 2. Really great game so far. They added a little more personality to the Pikmin by having them sing, and it's funny seeing real-world objects that are alien to the player character. I wonder if they had to pay to have Duracells and 7-Up caps, or if that's free advertising?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I suspect tbat the companies whose products are being displayed paid a placement fee, similar to the fees paid to movie productions.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That makes sense. I was a little surprised to see real world names, instead of fakes like on a lot of sitcoms. I saw a little Carmex tub as I neared the end of my play session. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks